Author Topic: Pick Your Favorite Donuts  (Read 87549 times)

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
Re: Pick Your Favorite Donuts
« Reply #80 on: April 29, 2009, 02:44:50 pm »
I haven´t tried too many donuts, so I voted for the one I thought sounded the most tasty; Maple frosted.
mmm sounds yummy

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #81 on: April 29, 2009, 02:56:17 pm »
About the -ch sound:

We have three different sounds for the "ch".

1) if it is at the beginning of a word and followed by a consonant (like in Chrissi), it is spoken like a k respectively c : cat, kitchen, Christ - all the same sound.

2) following an "i" or "e", like in "ich" or "sich" or "Milch": it's a sound similar to a hissing cat.

3) following an a, u or o, it's a different sound: "Bach", "Buch", "doch". This one sounds a bit as if you had a frog in your throat and try to bring it up (sorry, it's the best comparison I can think of).

For those who want to know it really exaclty, go to the following link. It's an online dictionary. Type one of the example words I used, click go, and then click on the small loudspeaker sign next to the word in the results list. Then you can hear the pronounciation of the word (and the different ch sounds). http://dict.leo.org/

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #82 on: April 29, 2009, 03:12:23 pm »
Chrissi, I would love to hear you say "Ich bin ein Berliner" with a Boston accent!! Maybe you could get Anke to record it! Wish she could join you all in New York as she did when I was there, but I'm sure she's busy with her new little one.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #83 on: April 29, 2009, 08:57:17 pm »
About the -ch sound:

We have three different sounds for the "ch".

1) if it is at the beginning of a word and followed by a consonant (like in Chrissi), it is spoken like a k respectively c : cat, kitchen, Christ - all the same sound.

2) following an "i" or "e", like in "ich" or "sich" or "Milch": it's a sound similar to a hissing cat.

3) following an a, u or o, it's a different sound: "Bach", "Buch", "doch". This one sounds a bit as if you had a frog in your throat and try to bring it up (sorry, it's the best comparison I can think of).

Thanks, Chrissi, that's very clear.  I didn't know about the following-the-vowel rule, but it makes sense.  I love the "hissing cat" analogy. 

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #84 on: April 29, 2009, 10:06:15 pm »

Crispie Creme......   whipped cream filled glazed    .................................Kelsey

Crispie Creme......   chocolate 1/2 covered glazed     ...................................Janice

Beautiful mind

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #85 on: April 30, 2009, 02:51:37 am »
But one would never make the cchhhh sound about donuts.

Okay, how about this?  The etymology of 'doughnuts.'  Why '-nuts?'

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #86 on: December 31, 2011, 06:33:25 pm »
Okay, how about this?  The etymology of 'doughnuts.'  Why '-nuts?'

Bumping this delicious thread with an answer from wiki:

Etymology

The earliest known recorded usage of the term dates to an 1808 short story[5] describing a spread of "fire-cakes and dough-nuts." Washington Irving's reference to "doughnuts" in 1809 in his History of New York is more commonly cited as the first written recording of the term. Irving described "balls of sweetened dough, fried in hog's fat, and called doughnuts, or olykoeks."[6] These "nuts" of fried dough might now be called doughnut holes. Doughnut is the more traditional spelling, and still dominates outside the US. At present, doughnut and the shortened form donut are both pervasive in American English. The first known printed use of donut was in Peck's Bad Boy and his Pa by George W. Peck, published in 1900, in which a character is quoted as saying, "Pa said he guessed he hadn't got much appetite, and he would just drink a cup of coffee and eat a donut."[7] The donut spelling also showed up in a Los Angeles Times article dated August 10, 1929 in which Bailey Millard jokingly complains about the decline of spelling, and that he "can't swallow the 'wel-dun donut' nor the ever so 'gud bred'. The interchangeability of the two spellings can be found in a series of "National Donut Week" articles in The New York Times that covered the 1939 World's Fair. In four articles beginning October 9, two mention the donut spelling. Dunkin' Donuts, which was founded in 1948 under the name Open Kettle (Quincy, Massachusetts), is the oldest surviving company to use the donut variation, but the defunct Mayflower Donut Corporation is the first company to use that spelling, prior to World War II.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #87 on: December 31, 2011, 06:54:47 pm »
how about a red velvet doughnut?

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #88 on: December 31, 2011, 07:23:49 pm »
that looks like it's been rolled around in red velvet dust.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #89 on: December 31, 2011, 08:05:05 pm »
Having a Homer Simpson....oooohhhh donuts.....moment  8)

"Laß sein. Laß sein."