Author Topic: Would you drink it from a box? Would you drink it with a fox?  (Read 14763 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
In my efforts to trim my household budget, I have started buying the occasional box of wine. I can't say it's delicious, but it's probably no worse than any other wine that would sell for $5 or $6 a bottle, which is approximately what boxed wine works out to be.

Anybody find a brand they particularly like?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
Re: Would you drink it from a box? Would you drink it with a fox?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 12:01:47 am »
I have never been much of a wine drinker. I don't DISLIKE it though. I love sweet red wines. When I do buy wine, it's always in a bottle, although I've been very curious about those boxed wines. Many people buy their wine like that.

So, I voted "maybe"
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 12:04:52 am »
For the uninitiated, I should add that a box of wine costs $18 to $22 and is the equivalent of four bottles.

If I buy wine by the bottle, I usually aim for somewhere around $10 (lately, even less). So a box is approximately half the cost of what I'd consider decent bottled wine.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 12:06:19 am »
can't drink wine with preservatives in it, and that goes for the wine in a box.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 12:09:55 am »
For the uninitiated, I should add that a box of wine costs $18 to $22 and is the equivalent of four bottles.

If I buy wine by the bottle, I usually aim for somewhere around $10 (lately, even less). So a box is approximately half the cost of what I'd consider decent bottled wine.

So basically we are paying as much for the bottle as we are for the wine inside it! Hmmm... :-\

And then we just throw the bottle away. ::)

Well, if I ever decide to become a die-hard wine drinker I'll seriously consider the boxed versions.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 12:17:02 am »
I have never been much of a wine drinker. I don't DISLIKE it though. I love sweet red wines. When I do buy wine, it's always in a bottle, although I've been very curious about those boxed wines. Many people buy their wine like that.

So, I voted "maybe"

I voted "yeech".  I like wine, but only if it's very good.  People ask me if I like wine, and if I say I do, they buy me a glass of wine that tastes like mouthwash and vinegar or buy a bottle for 9 bucks on sale for a party and then wonder why I avoid it.  Most of the wines I like start at $100 a bottle and go up in price.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 12:21:44 am »
I voted "yeech".  I like wine, but only if it's very good.  People ask me if I like wine, and if I say I do, they buy me a glass of wine that tastes like mouthwash and vinegar or buy a bottle for 9 bucks on sale for a party and then wonder why I avoid it.  Most of the wines I like start at $100 a bottle and go up in price.

Oh not me! I used to drink Ripple! :laugh:

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 12:41:17 am »
Hey there, Katherine!

I have definitely found boxed wine that I like...I'm spacing on the brand right now, but I'll get back to you about that (Alameda?) I'm remembering the Merlot or Cab as very decent and the Red Table as too sweet and pretty bad; I try to avoid white wines - for some reason, I think you have to spend quite a bit more $$ to get a good Chardonnay than you do a Chianti.

I've long been partial to the Australian wines for economy, especially Alice White and the Yellow Tail varieties, Shiraz or Shiraz/Merlot.  There's a plum undertone there that I really enjoy.

Those are roughly the same price as boxed, maybe a little more expensive...$8-9 bottle or $14 for the very large bottle.  I can frequently find them on sale 2/$11-12 or 2/$20.

One trouble with boxed is the spout...having wine on tap enables you to wonder just how many glasses you've had, whereas the empty bottle(s) is quite apparent.

::) 8) ;)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

pnwDUDE

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 01:40:16 am »
Black Box Merlot is one of our favorites. Like the name says, it comes in a box and it ain't cheap for a boxed wine. The equivalent of four 750 ml bottles cost about $30. Fred Meyer (aka Kroger for most of ya'll) has it on sale now and then for about $19. No sulfates or preservatives, just a great wine. IMO boxed Franzia and Peter Vella wines are horrible. Of course they are cheap, but loaded with preserves and such.

Red Diamond has a very fine Merlot (expensive). I also like Citra's Trebbiano D'abruzzo. Nice Italian wine with pastas. While I enjoy a good Chianti, this Citra's D'abruzzo tops all I have found.

Brad

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 03:48:29 am »
I voted "Yeech, are you kidding?" But I'm living in Germany. We barely have boxed wine here. If so, it comes in 1L tetrapaks and is the cheapest of the cheap. Never tried that one.
I live in a wine growing region and even in a common grocery market you can get a wide range of local wines as well as international ones - in bottles of course.

Wine lovers buy their wine directly at local vineyards and I doubt you'll find a wine-grower here who would fill his stuff into boxes :o.
Not yet at least, give it ten or 15 more years and this may change :-\.

I'm not a wine-lover (that's a fact you almost have to feel ashamed of when you live here ;)). I drink a glass every now and then and I'm not snobby about it. I love the cheap Lambrusco because it's pretty sweet and sparkles a bit.