Author Topic: Would you drink it from a box? Would you drink it with a fox?  (Read 14596 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Re: Would you drink it from a box? Would you drink it with a fox?
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2009, 01:19:45 pm »

The bottle of wine Ennis takes out here...  was there a screw-cap on it or was it sealed with a wad of plastic wrap?  I seem to remember it was the latter.

A vital question for oenophile Brokies!

I thought he pulled a cork out of it.  Hmm, a good reason to rewatch the film. 

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2009, 01:24:50 pm »
Wine in a box?  I think not.

I don't mind screw-tops at all, but I don't want my wine to be in contact with plastic.   :P

While it's easy to find a good wine for a lot of money, I like the challenge of finding a decent, drinkable wine for under $10-12.  Turns out, it's not that difficult, just gotta try things.  I especially like cheap reds from the south of France, like Rhones, or cotes de provence, or languedoc. Very drinkable.  Save the expensive wine for a special occasion. 

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2009, 01:44:46 pm »
I especially like cheap reds from the south of France, like Rhones, or cotes de provence, or languedoc. Very drinkable.  Save the expensive wine for a special occasion.

Me too, although I still get "red-wine headache" often.  (Less so with French than the CA wines.)

I went to a party where the host had made his own wine (they have places where you can go make "homemade" wine, beer, mead, etc.  A new yuppie hobby, I guess...)  Anyway, his wine was a revelation because in addition to being delicious, there was no headache!!  (No preservatives.)  Whoo-whee!!

:)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2009, 02:19:32 pm »
I went to a party where the host had made his own wine (they have places where you can go make "homemade" wine, beer, mead, etc.  A new yuppie hobby, I guess...)  Anyway, his wine was a revelation because in addition to being delicious, there was no headache!!  (No preservatives.)  Whoo-whee!!

I have that new yuppie hobby! And in fact have some bottles in the basement as we speak. I did a pinot grigio and a meritage. The white is OK, a little too tart and citrusy for me, but I think that's just my taste -- I like dry wine, and I'm not big on citrus. Others have said they like it a lot. The red won't be sufficiently aged until next fall.

It works out to about $5 or $6 a bottle.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2009, 02:21:46 pm »
Me too, although I still get "red-wine headache" often.  (Less so with French than the CA wines.)

:)

It's not that new a hobby.  My father briefly was into homemade winemaking in the '70s.  It was very, very awful. 

Laura, I wonder now that there are so many organic wines available, if they're less headache-ogenic?  My local joint has only organic wines on its list. 

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2009, 02:42:40 pm »
It's not that new a hobby.  My father briefly was into homemade winemaking in the '70s.  It was very, very awful. 

Laura, I wonder now that there are so many organic wines available, if they're less headache-ogenic?  My local joint has only organic wines on its list. 

My parents made their own wine too back in the 70s. They bought all the equipment and I remember watching it percolate in the big glass bottles. They made all different kinds of wine. Dad still has some of those great big glass bottles sitting around the house.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2009, 02:59:35 pm »
A new yuppie hobby, I guess

:laugh: ;D
My husband wants to get into this hobby ;D. We have three vines in our garden, two have a more shadow-y place and don't grow fast and only bear little fuit, but the one around the front gate grows like weed and brings plenty of grapes every year. So far the greatest part of the grapes only went to waste, which is a shame.
This year we'll try to make either wine or at least grape-jelly.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2009, 03:08:57 pm »

It's a little different when you're doing it at a place where they give you the ingredients and guide you through the process. It's easier, anyway. And you don't have a mess at home.

I do know one woman who makes her own plum wine from fruit that grows in her yard. It doesn't taste much like wine, but it's kind of good.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2009, 03:14:15 pm »

Home-brewing mead is very popular among medieval historical reenactors. I once bought a kit to try it but never got around to it. By now the yeast is probably dead as a doornail.  :-\

A friend once brought me a bottle of mead from a winery somewhere in Indiana. It was one of the best things I've ever drunk! Very light but with a definite taste of the honey.  :D

I think home-brewing mead definitely must be an art. I have been served some home-brewed meads that were so thick and syrupy that you might as well have been drinking honey out of a jar.  :P
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2009, 03:15:17 pm »

Italians in South Philadelphia have been making their own wine for, oh, probably about a hundred years. (I'm not kidding.)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.