Author Topic: "Outrage" - Documentary Outs Gay Politicians Who Fight Gay Rights  (Read 26072 times)

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
Re: "Outrage" - Documentary Outs Gay Politicians Who Fight Gay Rights
« Reply #70 on: May 07, 2009, 08:25:21 am »
Using some firsthand accounts of former sexual partners, old campaign footage (to occasionally humorous effect) and commentary from gay political media watchdogs, the film makes the case for each man's homosexuality, and presents his lifetime gay rights voting record. In each instance, the disconnect is staggering.

The usual suspects are all there: Craig, Florida Governor Charlie Crist, former New York mayor Ed Koch, former New Jersey Governor Jim McGreevey, former Rep. Ed Schrock, even dusty McCarthy relic Roy Cohn. Again, if you're reading this review, then you're likely no stranger to gay media, particularly gay online media (which is credited in the film as being one of the few places where these scandals are openly discussed) and none of these men is an unfamiliar candidate for speculation.[/i]

I'm not really sure what exactly Koch and McGreevy voted against that has this filmmaker upset with them. I remember that there was speculation about Koch's orientation back in the day, but I don't recall that he voted against anything. And McGreevy...well there was lots of political corruption simmering around him which seemed to get washed away when he came out publicly. But again, I cannot recall any votes he made that went against the interests of sexual minorities.

I'll have to see the movie to find out what the allegations are in all of these cases.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #71 on: May 07, 2009, 09:48:35 am »
I'm not really sure what exactly Koch and McGreevy voted against that has this filmmaker upset with them. I remember that there was speculation about Koch's orientation back in the day, but I don't recall that he voted against anything. And McGreevy...well there was lots of political corruption simmering around him which seemed to get washed away when he came out publicly. But again, I cannot recall any votes he made that went against the interests of sexual minorities.

I'll have to see the movie to find out what the allegations are in all of these cases.

I think Koch was slow in recognizing the aids epidemic?  I don't recall, I just know that he basically apologized for something when he was in SHORTBUS saying something like "I did the best that I could given what we knew at the time" or something to that effect.

It seems I was right that none of the men featured are being really outed in the film, all of them have had scandals or rumours associated with them.

Offline oilgun

« Reply #72 on: May 11, 2009, 09:17:43 pm »
From Indiewire.com:

“Outrage” Review Spiked for Naming Names

Kirby Dick’s new documentary, “Outrage,” continued to skirt controversy and stir debate in its opening weekend in U.S. theaters, particularly among some media circles. As the film opened, NPR trimmed its review of the film, cutting mentions of the American political figures depicted in the movie. Critic Nathan Lee subsequently removed his byline from the article in protest and lodged a comment on the NPR site, which was also quickly removed by NPR executives.

This came amidst a simmering debate about Dick’s decision to pursue and name politicians believed to be closeted homosexuals in the film, specifically those whose public voting record counters the civil rights of gay and lesbian Americans. And it seems to support charges by Dick, made in the film, that the mainstream media has a history of handling stories of politicians same-sex orientations with kid gloves.

Continues...
http://www.indiewire.com/article/outrage_review_spiked_for_naming_names/

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #73 on: May 11, 2009, 09:50:10 pm »
wow, now the media "coverage" or lack thereof, is becoming the meta-story of this film!  Veeery interesting!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline oilgun

« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2009, 10:23:37 pm »
NPR's Terry Gross Speaks Out  

Gay bloggers were up in arms when NPR's Terry Gross refused to air the names of alleged closeted politicians in an interview with Outrage director Kirby Dick. Now, Gross is speaking out.
By Andrew Harmon
An Advocate.com exclusive posted May 14, 2009

Terry Gross, persona non grata?

An unlikely turn of events, to be sure. But last week, the longtime host of National Public Radio’s Fresh Air drew the ire of the gay blogosphere when she refused to air the names of alleged closeted politicians in an interview with Outrage director Kirby Dick. In an interview with The Advocate, Gross speaks about her decision, her track record on covering gay issues, and the politics of outing.

Advocate.com: Talk to us about the decision to omit names in your interview with Dick.
Terry Gross: When the subject of Outrage came up [during a production meeting], one of our producers had seen it described in detail, and we agreed that we wanted to do something on the film because it raises interesting questions. But that put us in a position where we had to ask ourselves: Do we want to participate in an outing when we honestly didn’t know if it was true? So the way I decided to conduct the interview with Kirby was this: Here’s your case for outing. Here’s why you think it’s important, and why the mainstream media has ignored it. And then here’s why I’m personally uncomfortable going any further. I believe I put my cards out on the table. You can judge me, and you can judge our editorial policy.
[/color]

Continues...http://www.advocate.com/exclusive_detail_ektid84096.asp