Author Topic: Small Gestures--Big Impact  (Read 2958 times)

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Small Gestures--Big Impact
« on: April 29, 2009, 08:33:08 pm »
Small, Helpful Gestures With Big Impact
Show you care: Even a simple act of kindness can make a big impression.

Personalized Gift Ideas for Weddings, New Babies, and Graduations (and other occasions).

http://lifestyle.msn.com/your-life/simple-moments-of-joy/articlers.aspx?cp-documentid=19239549&page=0

There are a lot of nice ideas. I like:

* Call a pizzeria or burger joint in the high school graduate's new college town and prepay a tab or buy a gift card.

And:

"After my father passed away, a good family friend gave my mother, my sister, and me a bottle of his cologne. My father was impeccably dressed, but he wore this cologne called Clubman, which sold for about $4 at the drugstore. The cologne and the accompanying note were so touching. I believe it read, 'Your father was a wonderful man. He was my club man.'"

If someone did something for you or gave you something that maybe didn't cost a fortune, but it meant a lot---please add those ideas!  :)
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Small Gestures--Big Impact
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 01:35:10 pm »
On my last day at work at the store, someone wrote on the bulletin board, we will miss you Fiona, with a smiley face.

Still at work, the produce guy, Chuck, would bring me beautifully prepared fruit every morning, claiming it was not quite good enough to sell. It would be all cut up, washed and laid in a polystyrene tray, then covered with plastic wrap.Something different every day, apples, pears, mangos, peaches, strawberries, etc. It used to make my day.

I cried when I said goodbye to him.One of life's little gems.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 01:42:05 pm »
On my last day at work at the store, someone wrote on the bulletin board, we will miss you Fiona, with a smiley face.

Still at work, the produce guy, Chuck, would bring me beautifully prepared fruit every morning, claiming it was not quite good enough to sell. It would be all cut up, washed and laid in a polystyrene tray, then covered with plastic wrap.Something different every day, apples, pears, mangos, peaches, strawberries, etc. It used to make my day.

I cried when I said goodbye to him.One of life's little gems.

All the "Chucks" I know are nice.  ;)

That was a sweet thing, Fiona. I'm glad that your co-workers recognized your goodness.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline optom3

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 01:46:26 pm »
All the "Chucks" I know are nice.  ;)

That was a sweet thing, Fiona. I'm glad that your co-workers recognized your goodness.

Funny isn't it.One of the people I ws really looking forward to meeting at the NYC event was Chuck. Not that I did not want to meet everyone else as well, before I offend anyone. :)

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 01:50:51 pm »
Funny isn't it.One of the people I ws really looking forward to meeting at the NYC event was Chuck. Not that I did not want to meet everyone else as well, before I offend anyone. :)

We'll get our chance to gather with everyone.  (I'm so bummed that I couldn't get to go to NYC also.)  But we'll get our chance.  Count on it!!!

Offline optom3

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 04:09:20 pm »
We'll get our chance to gather with everyone.  (I'm so bummed that I couldn't get to go to NYC also.)  But we'll get our chance.  Count on it!!!

I had to think long and hard before deciding not to go. I had already bought the plane ticket, non refundable. I just knew that it was better to lose that money, than to rack up more expenses while actually there.Even taxi rides, food, accomadation etc, I knew would soon mount up.

It was a case really of cutting my losses. It still hurts though. I also realised that the kids would be upset not to have me round on mother's day.They always do something special for me.Breakfast in bed, flowers picked from the garden.It would have been a self indulgent act and an unecessary expense to make the trip.

Watch now as they all forget it's mother's day and I am on here sulking and moaning !!!! :)

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 09:37:06 pm »
When my son Adam, was still at school, he would often pick a couple of flowers out of someones garden on his way home and give them to me........i smile now, at how that made me feel, all those years ago.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection