Author Topic: Annie Proulx's still pissed...  (Read 80757 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: Annie Proulx's still pissed...
« Reply #170 on: March 06, 2010, 04:13:53 pm »
Tell you what, in view of some of the "slashier" stuff I've seen, I can't say as I blame her.  :-\  But let be, let be. ...

Yeah but as I said above, the right of parody and commentary is a protection afforded under the US First amendment.  And yes, parodies can be pretty repugnant.  I've had my work "parodied"- as well as my person, except that, as a private individual, impugning my reputation is a violation of my constitutional right to privacy.  Not so my stories, though.  Free speech, it's a wonderful thing, except when someone uses their free speech to mock yours.  Then it's a constitutionally protected PAIN IN THE ASS.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #171 on: March 06, 2010, 05:22:43 pm »
Yeah but as I said above, the right of parody and commentary is a protection afforded under the US First amendment.  And yes, parodies can be pretty repugnant.  I've had my work "parodied"- as well as my person, except that, as a private individual, impugning my reputation is a violation of my constitutional right to privacy.  Not so my stories, though.  Free speech, it's a wonderful thing, except when someone uses their free speech to mock yours.  Then it's a constitutionally protected PAIN IN THE ASS.

I didn't mean to excuse her (over)reaction, only to comment that in view of some of the stuff I've seen "out there," both in terms of content and writing, I can understand it if she were repulsed by it, and I sympathize with that response.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #172 on: March 06, 2010, 05:55:45 pm »
I've seen the personal replies to letters gay men have sent AP and they are very thoughtful, considerate, and compassionate. And these are handwritten letters. There are also men that she stays in contact with and encourages. In fact, she seems to me to be the embodiment of Mrs. Twist, understanding, perceptive, intuitive, long-suffering and patient. She harbors a deep anger, though, a righteous indignation, and a strong sense of justice and judgment.

Another reason that I believe AP is protective of her intellectual property is that she must be protecting the real life Ennis and Jack, and sees these fanfic publications as slanders against them and against the spirit of the real life people. AP has been married several times, and has three sons, and wrote for male oriented publications for many years, so I'm sure there is a real life Ennis somewhere.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Marina

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #173 on: March 09, 2010, 09:29:30 pm »

I came across this amazing article about one of Annie Proulx's recent writing projects, Red Desert.   This is why I love her - not only did she give us the beautiful short story of Brokeback Mountain, but now this:

http://www.hcn.org/issues/41.6/the-desert-that-breaks-annieproulxs-heart-wyoming/article_view?b_start:int=1&-C=

I haven't seen this  book out yet?

I did happen to pick up Fine Just The Way It Is also.   :)
“Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of his world.”
~Rachel Carson~

~Looking back on it, they both realized it was the best thing they ever had.~  - A Mother's Love

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #174 on: March 09, 2010, 09:51:22 pm »
Annie has been working on this book since at least 2007. Its publication was delayed. I'm excited to see it is finally out. It was meant to be a photography book and she was writing the preface, but her role may have been expanded since she wrote a great deal more than could be included. I went to a talk she gave in early 2007 where she read excerpts that she said could not be included for lack of space. They were fascinating.

"chewing gum and duct tape"