Author Topic: M*A*S*H Star Stiers Comes Out (and is looking for love.)  (Read 7035 times)

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: M*A*S*H Star Stiers Comes Out (and is looking for love.)
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 05:41:44 pm »
Hmmmm three part names:

David Ogden Stiers
Neil Patrick Harris
David Hyde Pierce

I sense a pattern....

'Wasps' give their kids uppity-sounding names?  ;)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 06:00:11 pm »
He can sing, too!

As any good Broadway Queen could tell you, Stiers was in Stephen Schwartz's "The Magic Show" on Broadway in the '70s.  In his big number, "Style", he sings about his character's sartorial splendor in the same supercilious slant as Major Winchester.  In fact, the lyrics include phrases like "quelle largesse" and "je ne sais quoi".

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2009, 07:24:31 pm »
Hmmmm three part names:

David Ogden Stiers
Neil Patrick Harris
David Hyde Pierce

I sense a pattern....

Might be a sign to take a closer look, but probably nothing more. There are plenty with only two names (e.g., Nathan Lane, Rupert Everett). But it could be a signal--a clue--to look further--like the guy wearing a Speedo when all around are in board shorts.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009, 07:30:30 pm »
Might be a sign to take a closer look, but probably nothing more. There are plenty with only two names (e.g., Nathan Lane, Rupert Everett). But it could be a signal--a clue--to look further--like the guy wearing a Speedo when all around are in board shorts.  ;D

I need some Speedo evidence, Jeff.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 01:39:54 pm »
He can sing, too!

As any good Broadway Queen could tell you, Stiers was in Stephen Schwartz's "The Magic Show" on Broadway in the '70s.  In his big number, "Style", he sings about his character's sartorial splendor in the same supercilious slant as Major Winchester.  In fact, the lyrics include phrases like "quelle largesse" and "je ne sais quoi".

I found it!  Catchy tune.  Love the backup singers!

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZlgUvk-wj0[/youtube]

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2012, 12:18:14 am »
I had read about Stiers's self-admitted homosexuality several years ago.  Although I can't remember where I read it, it was he who confirmed it at that time in the article, and I remember thinking 'good for him, it's never too late'.

MASH is my all-time fave TV show, looked forward to it every week from when I was 6 until I was 17.  I have the whole collection of all 11 seasons on DVD and am not ashamed to say I watch it all the way through at least once, sometimes twice a year.  I remember when Winchester first appeared, he really irked me, but then, that was what his character was supposed to do, and he played it well.  He won my favor in increments, like with the orphanage / chocolates Christmas episode that Clarissa mentioned, and when he agreed to substitute teach a class at the last minute for Margaret so that she could go to Tokyo, and in the finale, when he handed over a copy of "Sonnets from the Portuguese" from his collection to Margaret because it had touched her so deeply.  I wished the writers would have given him more moments like that because as an actor, he really has a gift for reaching into the audience's hearts when his humanity shines through.
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2012, 03:26:58 am »
Really well done song.  Thanks for having the je ne sais quoi to post it, Paul.

Re three names: Charles Nelson Reilly.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2012, 05:00:07 am »
I had read about Stiers's self-admitted homosexuality several years ago.  Although I can't remember where I read it, it was he who confirmed it at that time in the article, and I remember thinking 'good for him, it's never too late'.

MASH is my all-time fave TV show, looked forward to it every week from when I was 6 until I was 17.  I have the whole collection of all 11 seasons on DVD and am not ashamed to say I watch it all the way through at least once, sometimes twice a year.  I remember when Winchester first appeared, he really irked me, but then, that was what his character was supposed to do, and he played it well.  He won my favor in increments, like with the orphanage / chocolates Christmas episode that Clarissa mentioned, and when he agreed to substitute teach a class at the last minute for Margaret so that she could go to Tokyo, and in the finale, when he handed over a copy of "Sonnets from the Portuguese" from his collection to Margaret because it had touched her so deeply.  I wished the writers would have given him more moments like that because as an actor, he really has a gift for reaching into the audience's hearts when his humanity shines through.

I can't bear to hear that M*A*S*H theme song these days. That was my Dad's favourite show and he fought in the Korean War, and earned numerous medals while he was there. And I remember curling up in front of the TV on a soft blanket, as Dad sat in his chair and we watched that show together......

I don't know. That theme song brings back wonderful memories, but memories I am not ready to face just now.....safe feelings from my childhood that are gone now.

I am glad though that David Stiers came out of his closet and is FREE now!! 8)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2012, 06:13:45 am »
I can't bear to hear that M*A*S*H theme song these days. That was my Dad's favourite show and he fought in the Korean War, and earned numerous medals while he was there. And I remember curling up in front of the TV on a soft blanket, as Dad sat in his chair and we watched that show together......

I don't know. That theme song brings back wonderful memories, but memories I am not ready to face just now.....safe feelings from my childhood that are gone now.

I am glad though that David Stiers came out of his closet and is FREE now!! 8)

{{{David}}}

There will be a time down the road when you will listen to the theme song, or maybe watch the show, and smile. It may always be bittersweet, and it may take a long while to get to that point. But the day will come when the wonderful memories won't be tinged with sadness too much, and you will seek them out and be able to enjoy them.

Love ya, sweetie. :-*