Author Topic: How to Avoid Looking Like an American Tourist  (Read 24439 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: How to Avoid Looking Like an American Tourist
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 08:04:05 pm »
Doesn't it depend on where you're going?

Obviously if one is traveling in more challenging parts of the world, trying to blend in is de rigueur, but in far Western Europe, it's hardly called for.  Yes, you need avoid looking like a total rube, holding out maps and talking loudly and being the "ugly tourist", because that puts one at risk for conmen and muggers - but that's for anyone in any country.

Heck, that tourist travel guy Rick Steves always looks like a dorky American tourist with his uniform of shapeless baggy chinos and "comfortable" mushroomy walking shoes and backpack and he's gone all over Western and Eastern Europe.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2009, 04:15:07 am »
Doesn't it depend on where you're going?

Obviously if one is traveling in more challenging parts of the world, trying to blend in is de rigueur, but in far Western Europe, it's hardly called for.  Yes, you need avoid looking like a total rube, holding out maps and talking loudly and being the "ugly tourist", because that puts one at risk for conmen and muggers - but that's for anyone in any country.

Heck, that tourist travel guy Rick Steves always looks like a dorky American tourist with his uniform of shapeless baggy chinos and "comfortable" mushroomy walking shoes and backpack and he's gone all over Western and Eastern Europe.

Yup, I'd agree with that Del.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 09:22:27 am »
It also applies to a certain type of Brit. travelling to Florida where they can be seen in their Soccer shirts and shell suits all over the theme parks in Orlando. The lobster red skin is a bit of a giveaway as well !!!
Sorry I know I am being rude about my fellow countrymen, but it is exactly what you see.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2009, 10:50:43 am »
Christ, this is on a university website?  (Obviously they weren't using a dictionary...)

Very interesting advice overall, though.

Nope, probably just spell-check.  ;)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2009, 10:57:50 am »
I thought this one was sad:

Avoid making eye contact, smiling, greeting, and engaging in conversation with strangers.

Heck, that's good advice for the streets of many major American cities.  :(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2009, 11:01:59 am »

Of course, unlike Rick Steves, most dorky American tourists aren't traveling with a camera crew. ...  ;D

Offline oilgun

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2009, 12:30:16 pm »
and people wonder why I am not the least interested in going to another country.

::) ::) ::)

translates to me as "They'll take your money and allow you to go over but lort shut up, keep your eyes down and arms and legs INSIDE the car at all times. Straighten up!"

::) ::)

What is it with this American insularity? Apparently, the percentage of Americans who own passports is very low, for example..  I find it so strange that a country, where most people are ultimately from somewhere else, can be so provincial.

Offline opinionista

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2009, 01:33:43 pm »
Compare your outward appearance and behaviors to those of people who live in the country you visit. The more you blend in, the less chance there is for you to look like a tourist. Some simple ways to spot a US citizen in a crowd overseas include the following.

I spot American tourists mostly because of their skin complexion. A lot of them tend to be whiter or darker than the Spaniards.

Wearing baseball or trucker caps  Bah. Europeans wear it too, and I have seen french and spaniards wearing New York Yankees baseball caps.

Wearing US brand name clothing with the names (ie. Nike, Gap, Abercrombie, Patriotic, Texas A&M, etc.) easily readable Bah. I've seen many locals wearing those brands everywhere. The rest of the world also travels!

Wearing white socks with shoes instead of dark socks. Well, if you do that in Spain you will not be considered a tourist, just tacky.

Wearing shirts tucked in or left hanging out, depending on the country you are visiting. Sometimes this differs for men and women in the same country.  ???

In some countries, NOT wearing something could signal that you are a tourist. For example, in some countries, hats or scarves are worn by the majority, or, in winter, most people might wear neck scarves. Be alert to simple, inexpensive ways that you could blend in. This is stupid.

Avoid walking down the street while eating food.  :laugh:

Requesting, at a restaurant, typical US condiments like catsup, salt, pepper, etc. It is best to use the typical condiments in your host country, but if you cannot eat without some condiment, take small packets with you to use rather than insisting that the restaurant supply you with it.   ???

Don't insist on drinking “Coke” with every meal. Drink whatever you want.

Try to manage without requesting ice in your drinks. This one is probably the only one I could agree with

Remember that often “bottled water” will be carbonated. Before the waiter brings it and opens it, be sure to request water that is “natural” instead of “with gas”, if that is what you prefer.  ???

Use local table manners instead of US ones. For example, in Europe, a fork and knife are used differently than in the US. In some Southeast Asian nations chopsticks might be more appropriate.  ??? And how a newly arrived US citizen is supposed to know that?

Don't insist on ordering meals in a typical US fashion. For example, in some countries, a salad is the last item served, not the first. In others, people don't eat what we in the US think of as a “salad”.   ???

Be conscious of your behavior in public places. Here are some examples that could signal you are a US citizen:

Avoid making eye contact, smiling, greeting, and engaging in conversation with strangers.   ??? Spaniards are experts in smiling and doing eye contact with strangers.

Refrain from carrying US newspapers or books in plain view.  ??? Why?

Refrain from loud talking, large arm and hand movements, and boisterous behavior. Adults in most cultures are more reserved and use lower voices in public places (i.e., train stations, shopping centers, public streets, etc.). If you do that in Spain you'll look like a local!

If you must use a dictionary to translate a sign or menu, be discrete. For example, copy down the words of the sign and move aside to a less public place to work out the translation??? Why?

Avoid showing other people what you have purchased by pulling items out of shopping bags in public places such as streets, busses, etc. Spaniards do it all the time.

Be conscious of the amount of space you occupy; most cultures are used to using less than US citizens. For example, try not to occupy more space than locals at a restaurant counter, in a waiting area in the train station, in the bus, etc.   ???

Avoid chewing gum in public places.   ??? This is stupid.

Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2009, 01:42:00 pm »
Compare your outward appearance and behaviors to those of people who live in the country you visit. The more you blend in, the less chance there is for you to look like a tourist. Some simple ways to spot a US citizen in a crowd overseas include the following.

I spot American tourists mostly because of their skin complexion. A lot of them tend to be whiter or darker than the Spaniards.

Wearing baseball or trucker caps  Bah. Europeans wear it too, and I have seen french and spaniards wearing New York Yankees baseball caps.

Wearing US brand name clothing with the names (ie. Nike, Gap, Abercrombie, Patriotic, Texas A&M, etc.) easily readable Bah. I've seen many locals wearing those brands everywhere. The rest of the world also travels!

Wearing white socks with shoes instead of dark socks. Well, if you do that in Spain you will not be considered a tourist, just tacky.

Wearing shirts tucked in or left hanging out, depending on the country you are visiting. Sometimes this differs for men and women in the same country.  ???

In some countries, NOT wearing something could signal that you are a tourist. For example, in some countries, hats or scarves are worn by the majority, or, in winter, most people might wear neck scarves. Be alert to simple, inexpensive ways that you could blend in. This is stupid.

Avoid walking down the street while eating food.  :laugh:

Requesting, at a restaurant, typical US condiments like catsup, salt, pepper, etc. It is best to use the typical condiments in your host country, but if you cannot eat without some condiment, take small packets with you to use rather than insisting that the restaurant supply you with it.   ???

Don't insist on drinking “Coke” with every meal. Drink whatever you want.

Try to manage without requesting ice in your drinks. This one is probably the only one I could agree with

Remember that often “bottled water” will be carbonated. Before the waiter brings it and opens it, be sure to request water that is “natural” instead of “with gas”, if that is what you prefer.  ???

Use local table manners instead of US ones. For example, in Europe, a fork and knife are used differently than in the US. In some Southeast Asian nations chopsticks might be more appropriate.  ??? And how a newly arrived US citizen is supposed to know that?

Don't insist on ordering meals in a typical US fashion. For example, in some countries, a salad is the last item served, not the first. In others, people don't eat what we in the US think of as a “salad”.   ???

Be conscious of your behavior in public places. Here are some examples that could signal you are a US citizen:

Avoid making eye contact, smiling, greeting, and engaging in conversation with strangers.   ??? Spaniards are experts in smiling and doing eye contact with strangers.

Refrain from carrying US newspapers or books in plain view.  ??? Why?

Refrain from loud talking, large arm and hand movements, and boisterous behavior. Adults in most cultures are more reserved and use lower voices in public places (i.e., train stations, shopping centers, public streets, etc.). If you do that in Spain you'll look like a local!

If you must use a dictionary to translate a sign or menu, be discrete. For example, copy down the words of the sign and move aside to a less public place to work out the translation??? Why?

Avoid showing other people what you have purchased by pulling items out of shopping bags in public places such as streets, busses, etc. Spaniards do it all the time.

Be conscious of the amount of space you occupy; most cultures are used to using less than US citizens. For example, try not to occupy more space than locals at a restaurant counter, in a waiting area in the train station, in the bus, etc.   ???

Avoid chewing gum in public places.   ??? This is stupid.

Yup, Natali, these were the ones I thought were especially odd!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2009, 01:50:33 pm »

Unless the shoes are sneakers, I think that's tacky anywhere.  :laugh: