Author Topic: How to Avoid Looking Like an American Tourist  (Read 24613 times)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
Re: How to Avoid Looking Like an American Tourist
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2009, 01:33:10 pm »
I'm also very proud of my Scottishness!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2009, 02:55:52 pm »
I'm also very proud of my Scottishness!

And so you should be! The Scots are a great people, with a great history and a marvelous cultural heritage. In the 18th century "Scottish Enlightenment," Edinburgh was practically a new Athens, head and shoulders above London in science and philosophy.  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2009, 05:13:05 pm »
And so you should be! The Scots are a great people, with a great history and a marvelous cultural heritage. In the 18th century "Scottish Enlightenment," Edinburgh was practically a new Athens, head and shoulders above London in science and philosophy.  :)
:D
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2009, 10:48:38 pm »

We Americans try our best to be kind and welcoming to people from all other countries when
they come here to visit.  I think that they should do the same, unless someone is acting like an
ugly American, by being overbearing and demanding.  But if they insist on your apparal  being
something that has to blend in with the other country, and acting different than your own self,
then maybe they are just a bit stuck up on themselves and need to chill out.  They need to
appreciate the tourism that is helping to increase their countries financial worth.  JMO

Beautiful mind

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2009, 04:57:34 am »
In some countries there are rules for everyone, not just tourists. In some places there are particular things that you cannot take a photo of, or certain clothing is considered not suitable. I would assume that if a tourist is about to go to these countries, they are informed by the travel agent of what the local traditions and laws are, and as a guest in another country, I think that tourists should abide by these rules.

I think every country hears about the "ugly" tourists from their country. We hear about the "Ugly Aussies" too. The truth is, they are probably ugly in their own country too, and it is just magnified when they visit another country.

But all tourists should not be tagged with this. Most visit other countries to see the different cultures, and mix informally with the locals, and I am sure that they show the same respect to them, as they would expect in return.

Of course tourists stand out in some places, carrying maps, cameras, brochures, and souvenirs....theres nothing wrong with that. They are in temporary accomodation, using rented vehicles or tourist buses, and dealing with different currencies and languages. Give them a break, most of them have saved long and hard for their holiday, they just want to enjoy themselves, and as long as they do that with dignity, they should be allowed to be a tourist.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Nevermore

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2009, 05:40:45 am »
the police like them though...you ever see one of them kids try to RUN in those things...it is the funniest thing you will see this month..

I was driving thru Longview one day and a young man wearing jeans that would fit the entire football team at once was trying to get across the road, it was very busy and about half way across he started trying to run.

he hiked them pants up like Erkel and started this stiff legged jolting run, legs straight and swinging out in big arcs to the side; his body like a board swaying side to side like a boat in a high wind ...I almost ran off the road laughing..

now THAT was SEXXY, I am thankful I was not a teenage girl or I woulda had to pull over and offer myself as his love slave... ::) ::)

Ohmigod Jess, you kill me!!
Though I have seen this look sported by white kids in Neasden (north London 'burb), replete with "what up, dog!" speech.

injest

« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2009, 07:35:48 am »
Ohmigod Jess, you kill me!!
Though I have seen this look sported by white kids in Neasden (north London 'burb), replete with "what up, dog!" speech.

:laugh: :laugh:

yep what looks "cool" in the mirror at home when you pose dont necessarily look so cool when you actually have to do something in it..

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2009, 11:51:24 am »

So when did you sneak into the store car park. That is everyone of what used to be our customers.  You have captured in one photo what it took me a paragraph to explain. Still looks bloody stupid though. James at his lockdown school has 2 dress code violations for dropped shorts,so they have given him a belt which he has to wear.
He is very confused and does not seem to know what his style is, classic rock with skinny jeans one day and plaid shorts falling down the next !! ?? :)

Oh well that's teenagers for you, I used to go for the tarty rock chick look, stinky smelly afghan coat which I had to hang in the garage and low cut halter top. Those were the days.

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #68 on: May 13, 2009, 12:05:02 pm »
I also love pride in your country, not taken to the level of some very far right wingers, but just a sense of belonging somewhere and being proud of it. I am so proud of my Scottish heritage, I only have to see a kilt or hear the bagpipes and the hair on the back of my neck stands up and I feel a big lump in my throat and tears begin to prick my eyes.
The English seem to have lost all that and it saddens me. The sheer unabashed and deep routed pride of mant Americans I find to be like a breath of fresh air. No one In England ever stood up and sang the national anthem when Emma used to compete in horse riding competitions, here at every gym meet they all rise for the National anthem. I persoanlly like it and wish England would stop being so PC and regain some pride in their cultures and heritage.
In the U.K it seems a Gallic thing, with the Scots, welsh and Irish.
I love the fact that Matt and Emma are fascinated by social studies and learning about America's founding fathers. I know some take it a little far, but within the home country and expressed as an allegiance and pride in your country, how can that be wrong.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #69 on: May 13, 2009, 12:26:45 pm »
We hear about the "Ugly Aussies" too.

Oh, my goodness. I don't think we've ever had any of them in Philadelphia. Everyone I've ever met has been unfailingly polite and lots of fun. Same goes for New Zealanders.  :)

Edit: Fixed a typo.  ::)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 08:59:03 am by Jeff Wrangler »
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.