Author Topic: CROHNS DISEASE....is anyone living with this?  (Read 4979 times)

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
CROHNS DISEASE....is anyone living with this?
« on: May 18, 2009, 07:54:31 pm »
I just got news yesterday, that my dear little 13yr old god daughter has just been dignosed with Crohns Disease.

She is still in hospital having numerous tests.

I have looked it up on the net and read all the information available.

I am just now, hoping for some first hand information from anyone here who might suffer from it, or knows anyone who does, and how it affects their life.

If anyone with information would prefer privacy, please PM me, your confidentiality will be respected.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
Re: CROHNS DISEASE....is anyone living with this?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 07:57:42 pm »
My mother had something similar - Gastro Enteritis. There are treatments to ease the pain, and help the patient to live a normal life.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 09:10:04 pm »
I have a Facebook friend who has Chron's disease. I am happy to see if she wants to trade email addresses.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Katie77

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 09:21:14 pm »
Thank you both for your comments, and yes, I will be happy to communicate with your friend Lynne, if she wants to.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 09:30:26 pm »
I sent my friend Cheryl from Facebook your email address, Sue.  I bet you'll hear from her pretty soon.

Sorry for the bad news about your goddaughter.  I have a cousin with Chron's and he's in his late thirties and doing very well.

All my best,
Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Katie77

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 09:53:47 pm »
Thank you Lynne, I really appreciate it.

It really hits hard when someone so young is afflicted with something that may affect the rest of their lives.

Another good friend of mine had a smilar thing, when her daughter aged 13 was diagnosed with diabetes. That was a couple of years ago, and the changes to all of their lives was enormous.

We think our own kids can be shits at times, but now when I look back, I never had to deal with medical problems like this, and I can only sypathise with what these people have to go thru.

Thank you for you help and good wishes.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 10:22:06 pm »
I have a cousin with Chron's and he's in his late thirties and doing very well.

FWIW, I have a friend and neighbor who's 57, has Crohn's, had a professional career in dance, and is now a professor of dance and an active member of an Afro-Brazilian musical ensemble. I can't say how the Crohn's affects his life on a daily basis, but I have the impression he has more trouble now on a daily basis with a shoulder he injured in a fall a year ago than he does from his Crohn's.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Katie77

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 10:35:54 pm »
Jeff, that information is more encouraging than you probably realize.

My god daughter Danny, has been dancing for years, and is very talented. She just started at high school, and because of her love of the entertainment business, picked a high school that promotes the arts. She has appeared in television commercials and has always wanted a career in dancing or acting, and the way she is going, she is on the right path.

Of course, the priority at this time, is to get her through this initial crisis. She has just been diagnosed and has spent the last two weeks in hospital, and it is expected she will spend another two weeks, so the medical side of her illness still has to be confronted and dealt with before anything else is thought about, but naturally she has been asking what will become of her dancing. She is only 13, so she has a long time before a career in that field will happen,but it still distresses her when she thinks about it.

Some time later, I will tell her about your neighbour and his successful career. Thank you very much for taking the time to pass on that information to me.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 11:20:41 pm »
Some time later, I will tell her about your neighbour and his successful career. Thank you very much for taking the time to pass on that information to me.

Oh, my goodness! I never could have imagined!  :D  I'm glad I noticed the thread. I checked it out because I know my friend has been living with Crohn's for years.

I'm sure things can't be very pleasant for your god-daughter just now, but if my neighbor's experience is worth anything, I hope it shows that Crohn's is manageable. I'll keep my fingers crossed that her doctor's figure out quickly how best to manage her condition.  :)

"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Katie77

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 09:03:07 pm »
Jeff, I just want you to know, that today, I have sent a copy of your post, re your neighbour, to my friend who's daughter has Chrohns disease.

Danni, has finally, just got out of the hospital, after a month in there. As you can imagine she is delighted to be home, especially because it is her 13th birthday on Sunday.

She is still having severe attacks and it will be a while before she returns to school and other normal activities, but at least she is improving. She is missing her dancing, but knows it will be a while before she can continue with that.

I am sure that message about your neighbour will give her a lot of inspiration, and I thank you once again for your response.