Author Topic: The Vampire Thread  (Read 83173 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: The Vampire Thread
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2009, 01:10:32 pm »
I liked Intervirew With The Vampire, both book and movie.

But the only really frightening vampire ever was Klaus Kinski's Nosferatu:

But then, Kinski himself was always creepy to me. Boy, you should have seen him in German talk shows ::).

Drat, that reminds me. What was the name of that movie about the making of the original, silent Nosferatu? John Malkovich played the director and Willem Dafoe played Max Shreck, who played the vampire Count Orlock. The conceit of the film was that Max Shreck really was a vampire. That was a pretty good film.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2009, 01:31:03 pm »
it was called "Shadow of the Vampire", staring Willem Dafoe as the vampire.  He did a masterful job!

“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2009, 01:59:16 pm »
it was called "Shadow of the Vampire", staring Willem Dafoe as the vampire.  He did a masterful job!

Eww, that picture is creepy!

I've never seen that movie before. At least I don't think I have.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2009, 02:03:45 pm »

I just started reading the first book of the Twilight series. My daughter already has read all existing books, God and his brother are talking about them at the moment. So last week, when I was at Newark airport, waiting for my flight back to Germany, I bought it.

I've only read 70 pages so far. I kinda like it, but I think like Harry Potter, it shows that the target audience are teenagers. I never got the whole Harry Potter thing. To me it was children's books and I gave up after 1.5 books.

But I digress. We're talking vampires here!

I liked Intervirew With The Vampire, both book and movie.

But the only really frightening vampire ever was Klaus Kinski's Nosferatu:

But then, Kinski himself was always creepy to me. Boy, you should have seen him in German talk shows ::).

He may be creepy, but he sure is cute! I love those blonds! :D

I've seen Nosferatu. It scared the fire out of me. I remember it stayed in my head and messed with me for quite a while. I remember feeling the need to sleep with my crucifix close by so I took it off the wall and layed it on the side table next to the bed. :laugh:

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2009, 02:13:58 pm »
Here's Max Schreck, from the original Nosferatu of 1922. 

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2009, 02:17:22 pm »
one of the reasons I get impatient with modern "vampire" stories is because I find the earlier, ugly predator versions of vampires to be a far more credible and interesting tale.

These new glamorous sparkly vampires just don't do it for me in terms of suspense.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2009, 02:21:03 pm »
Of course, the first time I ever thought of the possibility of a vampire as sexy was Frank Langella back in the late 1970s. All Byronic angst.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2009, 02:31:21 pm »
If only for contrast, I recommend the 1922 Nosferatu.  Very creepy, and beautiful visually, all German Expressionism, great shadows and angles.  I saw it in college, complete with bizarre soundtrack. 

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2009, 02:40:15 pm »
If only for contrast, I recommend the 1922 Nosferatu.  Very creepy, and beautiful visually, all German Expressionism, great shadows and angles.  I saw it in college, complete with bizarre soundtrack. 

TCM aired that movie last Halloween. That movie is VERY scary! I agree with you Paul, the lighting and filming angles make this movie very frightening.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2009, 02:45:20 pm »
one of the reasons I get impatient with modern "vampire" stories is because I find the earlier, ugly predator versions of vampires to be a far more credible and interesting tale.

These new glamorous sparkly vampires just don't do it for me in terms of suspense.

I like both Louise. I agree with you that an ugly vampire makes the movie more visually frightening, but at the same time a "normal" looking vampire is, at least to me, more psychologically frightening, and because they look so human they could be walking among us and we'd never even know it until it's too late.

And I must admit, a very handsome vampire is very appealing to me as a gay man, especially if it has a homoerotic element to it, which seems to be the current fad in vampire movies these days. :)