Author Topic: Adam loses to Kris on Idol...reminiscent of anything?  (Read 15874 times)

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
Adam loses to Kris on Idol...reminiscent of anything?
« on: May 21, 2009, 10:45:30 am »
Howdy everyone,

I just popped in to check on whether anyone was talking about the American Idol upset last night but didn't find anything so here goes...

I never was a big fan of the show before but Adam Lambert made me take notice. His incredible talent, star power, and down-to-earth genuine niceness (from what others have said and what he projects onstage) were all far above and beyond everyone else on the show.  It was so great to see someone up there who didn't look like everyone else and wasn't afraid to show himself to the world.

It was a no-brainer for him to deserve the title but it appears that America was not ready for a (likely) gay or bi glam-rock goth-looking banshee-wailing musical theater powerhouse of a male singer to win this thing. But Adam will be fine. He's going straight to the top and not looking back and I'm happy for him. I hope he kills as Elvis on Broadway or something like it, and everything else he's got up his sleeve. It's just a bummer that all the teenage girls and conservatives who voted for Kris couldn't appreciate the artistry and talent standing in front of them because they're scared of a little black nail polish and guyliner. Reminds me of the Oscar debacle with Crash. A change is gonna come; I just wonder when.

Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Adam loses to Kris on Idol...reminiscent of anything?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 10:53:41 am »
I've never watched the show but I would have voted for Kris, too, because I think he's cuter.  ;)  ;D

I'd just rather have a cute boy playing acoustic guitar at me than a glam-rocker wailing at me.  ;D

Chacun a son gout. ...
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 11:11:12 am »
I haven't watched the show since the first season, but I've noticed that the second-place singers often go on to do very well (not in the first season, though).

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 11:14:38 am »
Agreed, serious crayons.

Here's a good blog post about the whole thing:

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/realityrocks/178713/america-gets-it-wrong-kris-allen-wins-idol/

and for all those who think Adam is only a glam rocker, he's also done brilliantly with softer ballads like "Dust in the Wind" and religious material (just look on YouTube). Like many have said, he could sing the phone book and put everyone else to shame.
Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 11:57:31 am »
It was also pointed out on the Today show this morning that Adam has been performing since he was, like, 10 years old. He's already a professional. I understood the commentator to tell Matt Lauer and Meredith Vieira that Kris wasn't. So Kris surreptitiously fulfilled the audience's dreams in a way that Adam couldn't.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 04:43:22 pm »
All of this: IMO

Adam never improved. WHY? Because he was perfect from the very beginning. I mean TOTALLY PERFECT. He was already in a league above each and every one of the others. He was also quite gorgeous---look at his smile.

The audience saw Kris (cuter than cute Kris) "becoming". They took the trip with him, and it endeared him to people.

I was stunned that Kris won, and I cried because I was happy for him, but I cried because I really think that Adam deserved it so much too. It was very confusing because I was rooting for both of them.

They became good friends and either one would have been happy for the other. Genuinely. Adam was happy for Kris.

They both seem like super nice guys. They'll both do great and they'll both get a recording contract.

Plus---they both got a 2010 Ford Fusion hybrid.  ;D

"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 07:20:40 pm »

Adam Lambert

Kris Allen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 07:23:09 pm »

The two AI finalists together. Adam is really tall. He was taller than everyone else on the show.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 07:27:48 pm »
It was a no-brainer for him to deserve the title but it appears that America was not ready for a (likely) gay or bi glam-rock goth-looking banshee-wailing musical theater powerhouse of a male singer to win this thing.

I really don't think his sexual orientation is an issue here. But we'll really never know.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 07:41:15 pm »
Here's what the New York Times has to say, FWIW:

It’s possible that “American Idol” viewers’ selection of Kris Allen over Adam Lambert says something about the mood and mores of the country, that viewers are too conformist to anoint a sassy, androgynous individualist. Then again, maybe not: Mr. Allen’s victory may merely reflect the voters’ conventional taste in pop music.

The choice of Mr. Allen, revealed during the two-hour finale on Fox on Wednesday night, wasn’t a breakthrough decision, even if a record 100 million votes were cast. The winsome Mr. Allen sings well, but he sounds like a lot of other good singers. Mr. Lambert, who tops his singing with a soulful screech somewhere between the blues and a smoke alarm, was like no one else.