Author Topic: TOTW 03/09: What Was the Attraction?  (Read 19635 times)

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
TOTW 03/09: What Was the Attraction?
« on: May 25, 2009, 05:48:19 pm »
Many facets of the Jack + Ennis relationship have been discussed.  But what of the origin of it?
(The feelings that started it all, and the ones that kept them together despite the obstacles?)

What do you think the attraction was?  Each of them had met and worked with many other people.  Why was this different?  What attracted Jack to Ennis?  What attracted Ennis to Jack?

« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 05:42:49 am by Penthesilea »

Offline ohiomyown

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: TOTW: What Was the Attraction?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 07:36:03 pm »
In my opinion, the attraction was a learned one, not instantaneous; it was not based on looks.
They each possessed the qualities that the other needed to complete them. 

First came respect when they each saw that the other pitched in and worked just as hard
as they did.  They were good partners and each knew the right way to prepare a campsite
and tend sheep.

Steady, hard working Ennis found fun and laughter with talkative Jack.  Jack asked a lot of
questions, but unlike many people he listened to Ennis.

Jack was attracted to the quiet thoughtfulness of Ennis, he looked up to him because he was solid.

They had empathy and compassion for each other's hard life.

Eventually, they found a friend who treated them fairly and enjoyed their company.  It's hard to
resist someone who Likes you a lot.

Finally, they were total babes,  and they couldn't get enough of each other!
Judy

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 09:05:42 pm »
I think looks had a lot to do with it,  but in Jack's case, I'm sure he was attracted to and fascinated by Ennis' work ethic and his capacity to grin and bear it.  I think Jack saw Ennis as a sort of challenge: he wanted to see if he could pull solid, stoic Ennis out of his shell.

Ennis was certainly attracted to Jack's jest for life.  Jack had a can do attitude, and he actually dared to dream that a good life was within his grasp.  Jack also listened to every word that Ennis spoke, and that flattered Ennis.  Jack made Ennis happy.  He was solicitous and supportive: very attractive to a lonely man like Ennis.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 09:27:16 pm »
I actually think they were attracted to each other at first glance.  I think that's what the silent beginning of the movie is meant to convey.  The stolen glances, Jack's posturing against the truck, etc., I think were all meant to indicate they were immediately interested in each other.  I think the silence also indicates that the attraction, initially, was already physical and based on visual attraction.  Ennis sneaking glances at Jack on Brokeback prior to TS1 seem to echo the very early stolen glances that occur during the opening minutes of the film.

I also think the early bar scene (the scene from which the banner pic of Jack was taken) is meant to convey many symbols of attraction.  For instance, behind Ennis's head there is a dart board (you only see it when he moves his head around and when the camera is at certain angles).  I interpret the darts to be a very conventional symbol of the "prick of Cupid's darts or arrows."  And, Jack is literally "sitting in a ray of sunshine" in that early bar scene... from Ennis's POV, Jack already is in the role of a beloved or object of attraction.  Also, we've discussed the importance of the motion of Ennis and Jack's hands on their respective beer bottles... and the snap of attraction indicated by the shared lighter.  Fire, I think throughout the film is a symbol of attraction for Jack and Ennis.  In fact, I think Ang Lee loads the  beginning part of the film with almost over-determined symbols for attraction (while all of this, of course, remains unspoken).

So, initally, I think their attraction is like many couple's inital attraction.  Physical, a desire to listen to one another and to attract the attention of the other, etc.  But as their friendship/ relationship progresses things get much deeper.  Eventually, I think their attraction has everything to do with the yin and yang symbol.  They realize they're bound to one another because each one embodies character traits (often opposite traits) that the other one desperately needs to be complete and fulfilled.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 10:14:14 am by atz75 »
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 11:16:02 pm »
I think Jack was eyeing Ennis off from the start, when he was looking at him thru the rear view mirror, and I think he was attracted to him from then...physically.

At that time, when Ennis sneaked a peek at Jack, I think he was thinking "who's this dude, why is he looking at me like that?"

Within days I think they had developed a mutual respect for each other, with both of them working together as hard as each other. And as has been said before, they listened to each other and both showed an interest in each other's past. I think Ennis felt comfortable with Jack, as is shown by how much he opened up to Jack, something he had obviously not felt before.

The first time I noticed an intimate attraction from Jack, was after Ennis fell off the horse, and the gentle way, Jack wiped his face, it was more than just a buddy type thing, it was something more, and I think Ennis noticed it too, thats why he grabbed the cloth from him.

I think Ennis was maybe noticing that the attraction Jack had for him, was a little bit more than what is usual for a couple of blokes to have, but I dont really think Ennis was looking or feeling that way towards Jack, he felt comfortable, he felt relaxed, he lked Jack's company, probably better than any other man he had kept company with, but I do not think the feeling was attraction and definately not, sexual attraction.

That did not happen until after TS1......when he rode up to the mountain, and gave himself space to think about what had happened, and exactly what he was feeling. I really dont think it was until that time on the mountain, when they had the "I aint queer" conversation, that Ennis felt more of an attraction to Jack, and from then it just got stronger and stronger.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 01:35:45 am »
I LOVE this subject.

I´ll think about it during the day and come back after work. Looking forward to reading eveyone else´s replies too of course

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 01:36:54 am »

In the end, I think their relationship/attraction has everything to do with the

Yes??  Talk about a cliffhanger!

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 01:55:18 am »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

We are all sitting here waiting with baited breath........
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 10:25:59 am »

LOL!!   :laugh:

Sorry Buds!  It was just a typo.  I was editting/ re-writing the last paragraph of my post and that little phrase ended up as a straggler at the end there.  It was an earlier version of the observation at the end of my post:

Eventually, I think their attraction has everything to do with the yin and yang symbol.  They realize they're bound to one another because each one embodies character traits (often opposite traits) that the other one desperately needs to be complete and fulfilled.

I just neglected to delete that extraneous bit at the end.
Sorry to have raised everyone's curiosity... only to have this kind of anticlimactic answer for you.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 05:14:51 pm »
He´s kinda hot

Hm...

Check me out...come on

Jack: Not too shabby close up either....
Ennis: Uhm...

Maybe he´s pretty nice too

Why is he interested in listening to my shit? And why am I telling him my shit?

Both: This summer won´t be too bad after all...he can at least work

Hot...but there´s more to him

He´s pretty fun to hang with...but there is something else too....

Jack: Shit...Need to touch...
Ennis: He´s too close

Jack: Wow...he´s like a real cowboy
Ennis: I want to impress him...don´t know why, though.

He does it for me, I know it ain´t no fun up there. He´s doing it for me...why would anyone do something like that for me?

Naked...naked...potatoes...naked....

Shit...I´m falling hard...can´t hardly look at him

Maybe he really cares? Maybe we´re friends?

Jack: Yes! Fuck yes!
Ennis: What is this?

I want him that way. I´m dead.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 08:00:06 am by Buffymon »