Author Topic: TOTW 03/09: What Was the Attraction?  (Read 19645 times)

Offline bailey1205

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: TOTW: What Was the Attraction?
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2009, 07:39:06 pm »
Exactly Marie !!!

I don't think they had ever encountered anyone before in their life that showed them one damn bit of companionship.
Someone that really listened and cared.

They truly understood each other.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2009, 04:59:16 am »
Exactly Marie !!!

I don't think they had ever encountered anyone before in their life that showed them one damn bit of companionship.
Someone that really listened and cared.

They truly understood each other.

I think you're right. The image from the movie that has always stuck in my mind in regard to this, is the look on Jack's face as he watches Ennis ride off; it's a look of perfect contentment . In this exact moment, there is not any other place on earth he would rather be. I think that was a very rare state of mind for dreamer Jack. How could he possibly do something besides fall in love?

Offline optom3

« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2009, 12:02:38 pm »
I often find one of the most illuminating things about this film, is we all see the same film and yet so many different interpretations.
That look on Jack's face, has always seemed terribly sad, wistful almost, as if he knows that how ever much he loves Ennis, he seems destined to a lifetime of watching him, ride/drive off into the disatance, away from him.

In fact it is one of the saddest looks from Jack that I see. I am not saying your interpreatation is wrong, it is the same old BBM thing a million viewings and almost as many inferences drawn from those viewings, including many changed opinions at subsequent viewings. Maybe our view is coloured by our own emotional state at the time. :)

Offline bailey1205

« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2009, 09:24:00 pm »
I think you're right. The image from the movie that has always stuck in my mind in regard to this, is the look on Jack's face as he watches Ennis ride off; it's a look of perfect contentment . In this exact moment, there is not any other place on earth he would rather be. I think that was a very rare state of mind for dreamer Jack. How could he possibly do something besides fall in love?

I see it as perfect contentment also.

Probably never had anyone to ever hold him like that before.
Even though Ennis wouldn't hold him from the front because he didn't
want to know it was a man he was holding.

Jack knew what it meant.

When I see that scene, I see a look of love in Jacks eyes.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2009, 02:07:38 am »
Beautiful, Buffymon!  Just gorgeous, and the captions are spot on! 

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2009, 02:11:13 am »
Does BBM ever let go? Well, in my own case, I thought I was pretty much all cried out. Until, that is, I read what you wrote above. And back again the tears came.  Looks like I'm a captive for life and I'm at peace with that.

Same here.  I think about Ennis and Jack all the time.  I even dream about them...still!

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2009, 11:35:34 am »
I see it as perfect contentment also.

Probably never had anyone to ever hold him like that before.
Even though Ennis wouldn't hold him from the front because he didn't
want to know it was a man he was holding.

Jack knew what it meant.

When I see that scene, I see a look of love in Jacks eyes.

Yes, love is what I see too. After all, the ss refers to it as a "single moment of artless, charmed happiness.

Maybe it was at that moment Jack knew for sure how he felt about Ennis. I'd like to think it was.

The contentment, I think stems from feeling loved, and feeling like you're enough. Ennis never expected Jack to be better, more handsome, richer or to work harder etc. In that moment, Jack could just be, and that was enough. Wouldn´t that make us all feel perfectly contented too?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2009, 12:06:38 pm »
This expression on Jack's face was enuff to earn him the Oscar right there, IMHO. Jake must have been inspired by the story, which goes, in part:

"Ennis's breath came slow and quiet, he hummed, rocked a little in the sparklight, and Jack leaned against the steady heartbeat, the vibrations of the humming like faint electricity..."

and then Annie Proulx winds up:

"Ennis, dredging up a rusty but still usable phrase from the childhood time before his mother died, said, 'Time to hit the hay, cowboy. I got a go. Come on, you're sleepin on your feet like a horse," and gave Jack a shake, a push, and went off in the darkness. Jack heard his spurs tremble as he mounted, the words 'See you tomorrow,' and the horse's shuddering snort, grind of hoof on stone."

This is the last time they ever see each other. How appropriate that it ends with no sex, but sexual imagery, suggesting to the aware reader that the two men united in spirit. There is also the timelessness of childhood and the experience of unconditional love that comes from a mother.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2009, 12:16:00 pm »
This expression on Jack's face was enuff to earn him the Oscar right there, IMHO.
Amen to that!

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2009, 02:00:44 pm »
Same here.  I think about Ennis and Jack all the time.  I even dream about them...still!

I often day dream about them. I commute 3 hours to work, so those boys do come in handy ;)