Author Topic: Swiss Rescuers Search For Missing Indiana Boy  (Read 24025 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Swiss Rescuers Search For Missing Indiana Boy
« on: May 25, 2009, 01:17:09 am »
Oh God, I always hate to hear about things like this, especially when it involves a child.

From TheIndyChannel:

Boy Last Seen Friday

LAUTERBRUNNEN, Switzerland -- Swiss police were searching Sunday for a 12-year-old boy from Indiana who is missing near the Truemmelbach waterfall, which drains glacier waters from the country's famous Eiger, Monk and Jungfrau mountains.

Bernese cantonal (state) police spokeswoman Ursula Stauffer said the boy disappeared late Friday during a hike with his family at the waterfall near Lauterbrunnen, about 30 miles southeast of the capital, Bern.

Police posted photos of the boy on a missing persons Web site but declined to identify him by name because of Swiss privacy rules.

Swiss officials released the picture of a 12 year old boy from Indiana who went missing.

Stauffer told The Associated Press the boy and his family were from Indiana but did not elaborate.

She said police and rescuers were searching the gorge, which has a number of waterfalls, but had not been able to enter the water because of strong currents caused by glacial meltwater.

Police said other hikers claimed to have seen a person in the rapids around the time of the boy's disappearance.

The Truemmelbach Falls are part of the UNESCO world heritage site for the massive Jungfrau-Aletsch-Bietschhorn glaciers.

The falls are extremely narrow and dark, flowing inside the rock, and are reached by an elevator inside the mountain.

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/19552489/detail.html#

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

injest

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 01:20:31 am »
so sad..

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 01:25:13 am »
I hope and pray he will be found alive and well. But he's been missing for 2 days now so he's probably dead. :'(

I think it is DAMN irresponsible for those parents to take a 12 year old to such a dangerous place and not keep an eye on him. >:(

Perhaps I'm being too judgmental, but I can't help it. I just hope this story has a happy ending.

Poor little guy! :'(

injest

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 01:28:00 am »
I hope and pray he will be found alive and well. But he's been missing for 2 days now so he's probably dead. :'(

I think it is DAMN irresponsible for those parents to take a 12 year old to such a dangerous place and not keep an eye on him. >:(

Perhaps I'm being too judgmental, but I can't help it. I just hope this story has a happy ending.

Poor little guy! :'(

yeah, it looks bad.

I am sure the parents are feeling like they want a do over for the past few days...I think this kinda ties to what I was reading about Yellowstone, people just dont think there is any danger..they think if it is a 'tourist' destination, it's like Disney or something...

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 03:01:45 am »
I'm not trying to play "detective" here, but that looks very much like Fall Creek in that picture.

:-\

Just a guess. But if that IS Fall Creek, this tells me he is from Central Indiana and that picture was taken BEFORE his vacation in Europe.

injest

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 08:53:06 am »
I'm not trying to play "detective" here, but that looks very much like Fall Creek in that picture.

:-\

Just a guess. But if that IS Fall Creek, this tells me he is from Central Indiana and that picture was taken BEFORE his vacation in Europe.

that would make sense, maybe that was the best pic they had of him available....

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 07:53:16 pm »
From IndyStar.com:

Swiss end rapids search for Greenwood boy

GENEVA — Friends of a Greenwood boy who went missing Friday in Switzerland are asking Hoosiers to keep Noah Kriese and his family in their thoughts and prayers.

Noah disappeared while on a hike at Trummelbach Falls in Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland. Swiss police said today they had broken off the search for a 12-year-old Indiana boy.

A shoe found at the exit of the gorge where Noah was hiking Friday with his family could belong to him, said Ursula Stauffer, a spokeswoman for the Bernese cantonal (state) police said. Rescuers had been searching for Noah near the waterfalls, where visitors can walk through a mountain to see cascades crashing from inside.

“While we have no confirmation of Noah’s whereabouts, we are hoping for the best,” said Jennifer Duffy of Greenwood, who identified herself as a family friend, in a statement issued to The Indianapolis Star and The Associated Press.

Duffy said Noah was visiting the area with his mother and her family. She said his father is currently in Lauterbrunnen assisting with search efforts.

“We ask that people continue to keep Noah and his family in their thoughts and prayers, as we, his family, certainly are,” said Duffy, whose son is one of Noah’s classmates.

“My son and I are very good friends with Noah and his mom. (The boys) were in the same grade at school.”

Duffy declined to provide any other information about Noah or his family.

The Star’s news-gathering partner, WTHR (Channel 13), reported today that Noah is a student at Center Grove Middle School.

Officials searched until last light Sunday for Noah and did a final search at 6 a.m. today, Stauffer told The Associated Press.

“We didn’t find him.”

She said police had ended their search. “Instead, we will be doing spot checks at key points in the gorge,” Stauffer said.

The Trummelbach falls, which drain glacial waters from the country’s famous Eiger, Moench and Jungfrau mountains, are part of the UNESCO world heritage site for Switzerland’s Jungfrau-Aletsch-Bietschhorn glaciers. Thousands of tourists visit year to see about 5,000 gallons of water rage through the rock each second.

The falls are extremely narrow and dark, and can be reached by an elevator inside the mountain. But walking paths are guarded by rails and keep visitors protected from any direct contact with the falling water.

Rescuers have been unable to enter the water itself because of strong currents. Police said other hikers claimed to have seen a person in the rapids around the time of the boy’s disappearance, and officials are still appealing for witnesses who might have information about his whereabouts.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20090525/LOCAL/90525004/Swiss+end+search+for+Greenwood+boy

injest

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 08:09:19 pm »
that means they think he fell in somehow... :-\

“Instead, we will be doing spot checks at key points in the gorge,” Stauffer said.

so they are hoping to recover his body. Poor boy...poor parents.. :'( :'(

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 08:23:30 pm »
It sounds like he will be coming back to Indiana in a coffin. :'(

That just breaks my heart.

injest

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 08:25:22 pm »
It sounds like he will be coming back to Indiana in a coffin. :'(

That just breaks my heart.

yes, if they can recover him...

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 08:25:26 pm »
I remember what Meryl Streep once said in the movie "River Wild". She was telling Kevin Bacon that those waterfalls are like a giant washing machine, and if somebody falls in they will just churn and churn in there until Christmas.

They may never find that little boy.

injest

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 08:59:50 pm »
I remember what Meryl Streep once said in the movie "River Wild". She was telling Kevin Bacon that those waterfalls are like a giant washing machine, and if somebody falls in they will just churn and churn in there until Christmas.

They may never find that little boy.

you know what I wonder? they said they found a shoe...I always wonder in cases like this whether they might have been abducted...think about it, if someone was going to abduct a kid, that would be a good opportunity, no one is even thinking that...and with the waterfalls as you say, the lack of a body wouldn't be a problem..

if they dont recover his body, the parents will always wonder...

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2009, 09:21:44 pm »
That shoe deal is very weird Jess. I agree. I mean, what did he do? Take one of his shoes off and then fall in? That really doesn't make much sense. Why just one shoe?

He may have taken it off as a clue, indicating that someone took him out of the gorge area. I don't know. Perhaps it is wishful thinking. I'd much rather have him abducted than dead. I keep hoping maybe he somehow wandered off and a hiker will find him unharmed.

injest

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2009, 09:38:25 pm »
or lost it in a struggle...and you know as crazy as people are these days, someone could have pushed him in...and no one would ever know...

I dont' know why I think along these lines..I guess I have read too many newspapers or something..

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2009, 09:43:53 pm »
Well at least we know his name now. And I know exactly where Center Grove Middle School is. Greenwood is on the southside of Indianapolis, so I'm betting that was Fall Creek in the picture.

It seems to me this place would have security cameras posted throughout the area - if anything for insurance purposes since it sounds like it is a potentially dangerous place.

injest

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2009, 09:49:50 pm »
Well at least we know his name now. And I know exactly where Center Grove Middle School is. Greenwood is on the southside of Indianapolis, so I'm betting that was Fall Creek in the picture.

It seems to me this place would have security cameras posted throughout the area - if anything for insurance purposes since it sounds like it is a potentially dangerous place.

it does sound like one of those wild places that are developed just enough to make people feel 'safe'..

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2009, 11:16:06 pm »
The local news just reported that Noah Kriese (last name rhymes with the word "greasy") is an honor student and also plays on his school's soccer team.

Center Grove is still in session. They said the school will have counselors available for the kids. Why would his mother take him on a trip to Europe before school is out? That doesn't make sense!

Here's another picture of Noah. They've been showing it on the news here....

injest

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2009, 11:17:01 pm »
here is a link to the NBC story about it...

http://www.wthr.com/global/story.asp?s=10417862

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
Family: Missing American Boy Fell Into Rushing Water
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2009, 09:29:56 pm »
From WRTV 6:

Family: Missing Boy Fell Into Rushing Water
Friends Grieve After 12-Year-Old Greenwood Boy's Disappearance

GREENWOOD, Ind. -- The family of a 12-year-old boy who has been missing since Friday in Switzerland issued a statement Tuesday that conceded the boy likely fell into rushing water near the Truemmelbach Waterfall.

Rescue crews held an intense two-day search for Noah Kriese, a Center Grove Middle School Central student, but called off that search on Monday after finding nothing but a shoe.

In a statement released Tuesday, a family spokesperson said Kriese's parents, Kurt and Susan Kriese, had received "numerous offers for help."

Friends, classmates and their parents held a prayer vigil at the school Tuesday morning, and Kriese's half-sister sent a prayer message on social networking site Facebook over the weekend.

"We'll tell students to keep hope alive and keep Noah in their thoughts and prayers," said Center Grove Middle School Central Principal Jack Parker.

Friends described Kriese as a great child, an honors student who also spent a lot of time on the soccer field.

"Just really sad to hear it. You know, it's hard," said Logan Benham, Kriese's friend. "A lot of people are going to be really sad … at school. I just hope people pray for him."

Logan's mother, Denise Benham, said she and other parents of Kriese's classmates have been texting and calling each other in hopes of hearing good news.

"It's unbelievable. We can't believe it's happened," she said.

The school had extra counselors on hand Tuesday for children who need to talk and express emotion about what happened to Kriese.

"He's an only child also, so that's the reason I can relate to the mother, Susan, because I can't imagine," Denise Benham said. "I can't imagine what she's going through right now."

Police said other hikers reported seeing someone in the rapids at about the same time Kriese disappeared.

Police will continue to do spot checks at key points in the gorge, but said they cannot enter the water because of strong current. About 5,000 gallons of water rush through the mountain each second.

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/19564935/detail.html