Author Topic: Would Ennis Commit Suicide?  (Read 39989 times)

Scott6373

Re: Would Ennis Commit Suicide?
« Reply #100 on: September 28, 2006, 08:44:56 am »
While not requiring bravery per se, the act of suicide does require a great deal of personal courage and conviction.  Most suicide attempt fail because the means were more important to the person than the end.  The act is usually more of a cry for attention than anyting else.

That being said, I can't imagine Ennis succesfully comitting suicide.  He possesed a great sense of right and wrong (albeit quite skewed), and his love for his children, and even Alma would prevent him from doing that.  Ennis was never one to crave attention, and I dare say would go to any lengths to avoid it.  He was the type to think to himself "what would they be saying about me afterwards".

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #101 on: September 28, 2006, 08:56:25 am »
While not requiring bravery per se, the act of suicide does require a great deal of personal courage and conviction.  Most suicide attempt fail because the means were more important to the person than the end.  The act is usually more of a cry for attention than anyting else.

That being said, I can't imagine Ennis succesfully comitting suicide.  He possesed a great sense of right and wrong (albeit quite skewed), and his love for his children, and even Alma would prevent him from doing that.  Ennis was never one to crave attention, and I dare say would go to any lengths to avoid it.  He was the type to think to himself "what would they be saying about me afterwards".

I agree it is a cry for help, unfortunately, most of the time, when help arrives it is too late.

As for someone not committing suicide because they love their children too much, I think by the time someone is about to commit the act, they have convinced themselves that they are doing whats best for not only themselves, but for all their loved ones as well....which is probably due to the fact that they would not be thinking rationally or sensibly, and have written off any future for themselves, but forget that the people who they leave behind still have a future to face without them.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Mary Twist

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #102 on: September 28, 2006, 07:28:01 pm »
Ennis take his own life?  Oh, my!  Not on your life.  Some people can only think the worse.  Have mercy.  Ennis is a God-fearing man.  We see each other regularly as mother in law and son in law.  Why, I've periodically reported here at the forum about our touring with Lureen and Alma to promot the Brokeback Mountain movie.  Ennis successfully stopped his drinking moonshine decades ago.  Oh, and regarding cigarettes, Ennis's hope was a borrowed line from my son Jack: "I wish I knew how to quit you".  With the help of the good Lord and a local stop-smoking clinic sponsored by a gay association, my other beloved son Ennis finally quit the awful addiction!  God bless Ennis!
You come back and see us soon.  We'll have fresh hot coffee and homemade cherry cake!

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #103 on: September 28, 2006, 07:57:59 pm »
Posted this on "Fantasy Scenes' today which sums up my feelins on the subject.

Don't want folks ta feel bad fer me none.These here shirts, what they mean, worth more that all the gold on earth. Got ta experice best part of life, more that most folks ever do. I know I did the best I knowed how ta protect Jack 'n me. Keep me goin' fer the rest of ma days even if Ah make it ta 100.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline Mary Twist

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #104 on: September 28, 2006, 08:25:50 pm »
Thank you very much Mr. Wagoneer for that wonderful philosophy you captured for Ennis.  Nice to see the shirts and the postcard as well.  You surely are a sensible, honest, and kind man.  Ennis shall like and agree with your words.  I do not know about the "100" yet we never know, do we?  By the way, many decades ago my late husband had a Wagoneer.  May we presume that you do as well? 

Bless,
Mrs. Twist 
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 08:29:41 pm by Mary Twist »
You come back and see us soon.  We'll have fresh hot coffee and homemade cherry cake!

Offline jpwagoneer1964

« Reply #105 on: September 28, 2006, 08:46:10 pm »
   By the way, many decades ago my late husband had a Wagoneer.  May we presume that you do as well? 

Bless,
Mrs. Twist 
Yes I do! It is a 1964, identical to one my grandparents had when I was growing up.

Mark
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline Noviani

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Best Love Story of All Time
« Reply #106 on: November 15, 2006, 11:48:17 pm »
Never.

not even crossed his mind.

a guy who would stick to beans, rather them eating the thousand sheeps he should guard.

the guy who endure a 20 years of hidden love because keeping on the mainstream.

he wouldn't go out of track. and besides, Jack will always accompany him or at least how he would feel.

not suicide, but whiskey and too much smoking will, if sadness and loneliness don't get his helath first.

many causes of deaths, but not suicide.

his soul is too tough.

"Sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it..."

I finally found an Indonesian-translated version of BBM short story!!!!!
Ye-haww!!

Offline jpwagoneer1964

« Reply #107 on: November 16, 2006, 12:01:23 am »
Never.

not even crossed his mind.

a guy who would stick to beans, rather them eating the thousand sheeps he should guard.

the guy who endure a 20 years of hidden love because keeping on the mainstream.

he wouldn't go out of track. and besides, Jack will always accompany him or at least how he would feel.

not suicide, but whiskey and too much smoking will, if sadness and loneliness don't get his helath first.

many causes of deaths, but not suicide.

his soul is too tough.

RIGHT ON!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 11:06:16 pm by jpwagoneer1964 »

Offline Noviani

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Best Love Story of All Time
« Reply #108 on: November 16, 2006, 04:29:59 am »
Thanks for the Back up, bud
"Sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it..."

I finally found an Indonesian-translated version of BBM short story!!!!!
Ye-haww!!

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #109 on: December 27, 2011, 11:16:20 am »
I don't think Ennis would commit suicide--not actively, anyway. That is, I don't think he would have directly killed himself. I just don't think that would be in character for the "can't fix it/got to stand it" kind of guy we know Ennis to be.

On the other hand, Ennis does not lead a particularly healthy lifestyle, despite being an outdoorsman. He smokes too much and drinks too much, undoubtedly has a lousy diet (probably lots of starch and fat and very few fresh fruits and vegetables), and probably has little, no, or poor medical care. I can easily imagine that he wouldn't live much past age 60 (yes, this is the scenario I incorporated in my fanfic, "Some Sweet Life").

I don't believe Ennis would eat his 30.06, but I suppose it's possible to see the smoking and drinking as almost a "passive" form of suicide.

My thoughts exactly. Ennis to me is someone who doesn´t take many decisions but rather let things happen to him. It was Jack who took the initiative up on Brokeback and it was Jack who sent the postcard. I don´t think he would have killed himself, but simply let life pass him by. Every day pretty much the same. Hard work, drinking and smoking in front of the television, sleep. And like Jeff points out - his lifestyle doesn´t suggest that Ennis would have had a very long life. For some reason, I´ve always envisioned Ennis riding out on his horse one day and having a fatal heart attack midstride.