Author Topic: Would Ennis Commit Suicide?  (Read 39985 times)

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Would Ennis Commit Suicide?
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2006, 11:58:30 am »
Tell you what,  I have to stop reading this particular thread.    :'(  :'(  :'(  :-\

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2006, 12:37:53 pm »
I'm sorry, David.  :-\

What I am saying is, despite his love for Jack and his attraction to men, he does not see homosexuality as being “normal.” In this regard, he hates his feelings. IMO, he never comes to terms with or accepts his homosexuality. That’s a matter of debate … but that is my opinion.

I'm sorry to you, Diane, for dragging this out. But I'm still confused. I understand that you believe his experiences during the movie don't CHANGE his hatred of homosexuality (I disagree, but I do understand what you're saying). What I don't understand is why the thought of Jack being murdered would make him hate homosexuality even MORE. Make him more fearful, sure. But why would it make him more hateful?

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2006, 01:30:21 pm »
Sorry Katie to hear about you dad.

I think Jack's love would have sustained Ennis. He was used to "standing it"  throughout his whole life.

The shirts would have be a reminder of all the good memories with Jack and that he experienced true love in his life.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2006, 01:54:59 pm »
David – I am sorry you feel you have to stop reading this thread. But you gotta do what you gotta do!

I'm sorry to you, Diane, for dragging this out. But I'm still confused. I understand that you believe his experiences during the movie don't CHANGE his hatred of homosexuality (I disagree, but I do understand what you're saying). What I don't understand is why the thought of Jack being murdered would make him hate homosexuality even MORE. Make him more fearful, sure. But why would it make him more hateful?

Maybe the word “hatred” is too strong. I don’t even know that we are completely disagreeing. Ennis believes that Jack’s sexuality got him (Jack) murdered. The teachings of Ennis’ childhood are instilled in his belief system. He is ambivalent about loving a man and being attracted to men. As time goes on, Ennis becomes more and more embittered. In some weird way, I think Ennis feels responsible for Jack’s death. In Ennis’ mind …had he been able to accept his own sexuality and make a life with Jack … Jack wouldn’t have died on the road alone (drowning in his own blood). So, maybe the appropriate description would be that Ennis hated himself.
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2006, 01:55:22 pm »
I'm sorry, David.  :-\

We are talking internalized homophobia here, aren't we? I'm sure this is going to seem twisted and illogical, and I don't think I can even explain it, but I am getting a kind of visceral, gut-reaction type of feeling that I understand that Ennis could come to hate "being gay" even more because he believes that Jack's "being gay" has cost him (Ennis) the one person he loved--Jack. It's as though Ennis might see "being gay," rather than a tire iron, as being ultimately responsbile for Jack's death, so that it could increase his own internalized homophobia--his own hatred of "being gay."
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

moremojo

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2006, 01:55:59 pm »
The shirts would have be a reminder of all the good memories with Jack and that he experienced true love in his life.
And what a remarkable blessing that love was, for both men. How many of us will be able to honestly say, at the close of our mortal lives, that we found a love half as intense or soul-searing as that between Ennis and Jack? Ennis may be materially poor at story's end, but he has an emotional treasure that even kings could not fathom.

moremojo

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2006, 01:58:57 pm »
So, maybe the appropriate description would be that Ennis hated himself.
I most emphatically agree here. :'( :'( :'(

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2006, 01:59:31 pm »
We are talking internalized homophobia here, aren't we? I'm sure this is going to seem twisted and illogical, and I don't think I can even explain it, but I am getting a kind of visceral, gut-reaction type of feeling that I understand that Ennis could come to hate "being gay" even more because he believes that Jack's "being gay" has cost him (Ennis) the one person he loved--Jack. It's as though Ennis might see "being gay," rather than a tire iron, as being ultimately responsbile for Jack's death, so that it could increase his own internalized homophobia--his own hatred of "being gay."

Jeff - you have beautifully put into words what I have been trying to express but was unable to do so. Thanks!
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2006, 01:59:44 pm »
All interesting posts and takes on life without Jack. I tend to think he would not directly take his own life, he was a though old bird, but I think in a way he would end up taking his life with alcohol and cigarettes. I think over all his life would have been shorter, and sadder.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2006, 02:49:12 pm »
...Ennis... :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.