Author Topic: California Same Sex Marriage Ruling Sparks Indy Protest  (Read 8250 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
California Same Sex Marriage Ruling Sparks Indy Protest
« on: June 01, 2009, 10:11:03 pm »
From The Indianapolis Star:

Calif. same-sex ruling sparks Indy protest

The California Supreme Court upheld th at state's ban on same-sex marriage today, a decision that is drawing protests in Indianapolis. A local group in support of same-sex marriage is rallying at the City-County building until dusk tonight to protest.

Opponents of the same-sex marriage ban argued that Proposition 8 was unconstitutional because it improperly altered the state constitution and restricted a fundamental right guaranteed in the state's charter. But in a 6-1 decision the court found that the ban did not affect the constitutional rights of same-sex couples.

While same-sex marriages in California remain banned, the state will still recognize about 18,000 marriages performed before the ban.

National recap:

California high court upholds gay marriage ban

Indy Impact, a local organization created in response to California's Proposition 8 ban last November, planned the rally as either a protest or a celebration depending on the outcome of the decision.

Indiana law bans gay marriage and prohibits sanctioning same-sex marriages performed in other states.

The Republican-controlled Indiana Senate has voted three times to allow a public referendum on a constitutional amendment similar to California's. This year, a bill failed to get out of a Senate committee.

In previous years, House Speaker B. Patrick Bauer, D-South Bend, has blocked a vote, arguing that the state law is sufficient.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090526/LOCAL/90526036

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

injest

Re: California Same Sex Marriage Ruling Sparks Indy Protest
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 10:14:35 pm »
do you want them to put the referendum?

what DOES the Indianapolis law say, David?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 11:44:53 pm »
No, I do not want a referendum because I know how it would turn out. People in Indiana are overwhelmingly against same sex marriage. I'd like the courts to handle it just like in Iowa.

I can tell you what IS happening here. Indiana is watching Illinois. Illinois almost always decides on difficult things like this first and then Indiana will follow their lead later. So far (to my knowledge) Illinois has not moved on it, so Indiana is stuck. It's a bit like making the big brother go down the dark scary corridor first. Then, if it is safe, little brother will follow.

injest

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 11:47:21 pm »
No, I do not want a referendum because I know how it would turn out. People in Indiana are overwhelmingly against same sex marriage. I'd like the courts to handle it just like in Iowa.

I can tell you what IS happening here. Indiana is watching Illinois. Illinois almost always decides on difficult things like this and then Indiana follows their lead later. So far (to my knowledge) Illinois has not moved on it, so Indiana is stuck. It's a bit like making the big brother go down the dark scary corridor first. Then, if it is safe, little brother will follow.

awww...that's a sweet analogy. but Indiana should not feel like a little brother...ya'll are as tough as them!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 11:49:11 pm »
awww...that's a sweet analogy. but Indiana should not feel like a little brother...ya'll are as tough as them!

;) ;)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 06:47:13 am »
Indy impact - thats a catchy name!  :D
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/