Author Topic: Front-Ranger, you were right...  (Read 4982 times)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Front-Ranger, you were right...
« on: August 02, 2006, 04:39:49 pm »
... there *is* something interesting [going on] up there in Heaven.

And not at all in a good way.

http://articles.news.aol.com/news/_a/extreme-conditions-create-rare-antarctic/20060802105109990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

Al Gore and probably thousands upon thousands of scientists are right, too.

We are so utterly screwed.

In other related fun weather news:

In light of all these recent findings, may I please permanently leave the state of Florida now?  I'm thinking Canada may be far enough north.

:P

No more beans!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Front-Ranger, you were right...
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 04:43:17 pm »
I'm at 7300 feet here in the Colorado Rockies, and I'm feeling like Mount Ararat right now! But if Mel Gibson shows up, he's going to lose about half his f**king teeth in that slopbucket mouth!! Barb, you and all U brokies are invited when the rain comes!! We'll fill Red Rocks amphitheater!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 04:52:53 pm »
Barb, when I heard about the tropical storm this morning, I thought about you. And then I thought that it was really freaky to have Tropical Storm Chris show up while Chris was still ill. And then I thought, sh**, how warm is the Gulf right now?

And F-R, I'm about a hundred feet below you, and Mel Gibson will get the same treatment here, believe me.

a different Mel
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 05:14:25 pm »
BTW, Barb, the NOAA discussion of Tropical Storm Chris says that it seems to have weakened a little (though it still might become a hurricane) and that it seems to be going further south than they had initially predicted. (The map you posted is the latest one, though.)

Mel, NOAA web site fanatic
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 05:23:36 pm »
Global warming has been accepted as scientific truth for years over here where I live. Not that that's anything to brag about - we still go about our energy-consuming, polluting ways with a vengenace, far as I can see...

Uhm - Mel Gibson?  ???   Does he have something to say about this as well? I thought he was too busy "clarifying" his opinion on the jews?  :-\

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 05:29:57 pm »
I was just making a comment about being Mt. Ararat in case of the big flood, but I'm banning the fire and brimstone crowd of which he is a major example of the WorstMost.

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 05:37:26 pm »
Thanks for explaining. I thought he'd perhaps gone on record to specifically lambast scientists and let us know his view about God's will etc. in the recent days.
We are certainly in complete and utter agreement when it comes to our opinions on MG and his fire&brimstone crowd. :(

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2006, 05:42:30 pm »
BTW, Barb, the NOAA discussion of Tropical Storm Chris says that it seems to have weakened a little (though it still might become a hurricane) and that it seems to be going further south than they had initially predicted. (The map you posted is the latest one, though.)

Yep - the 5 p.m. update at the NOAA site yielded some good news.  Let's hope it stays that way.  :)

We've got our hurricane preparedness down to a science at our house.  But I'm really not looking forward to a no-power aftermath, and this early in the season to boot, just the same.

As far as the global warming thing goes, it's another area where I just feel so powerless.  To make myself feel better, I'm trying new and exciting ways to conserve gas, like carpooling as often as possible with a co-worker who lives nearby, bringing my lunch every day and eating at my desk instead of going out (with the added bonus of saving about $40 to 50 a week) and getting into good enough shape that I can start riding my bike the 12 miles to work at least one day a week.  They have a shower and locker room downstairs, so I could backpack my work outfit and stuff and get ready here.  One of my coworkers does it from about 15 miles away twice a week, but then again he rides in marathon-type things for charity, so he's no slouch.  It's my new two-fold fitness and environmental goal.  But beyond that, giving money to a couple of the environmental charities, and telling everyone I know and his brother to go see "An Inconvenient Truth," I don't know what else to do.
No more beans!

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2006, 06:04:41 pm »
and getting into good enough shape that I can start riding my bike the 12 miles to work at least one day a week.  They have a shower and locker room downstairs, so I could backpack my work outfit and stuff and get ready here.  One of my coworkers does it from about 15 miles away twice a week, but then again he rides in marathon-type things for charity, so he's no slouch.

I wish I could do this.  I only live 4.5 miles from work.  However, the neighborhoods between here and there are not the kind you want to be biking through...plus, how do you get the wrinkles out of your clothes when you get to work?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2006, 06:08:21 pm »
It's 67 degrees in my town right now!!