Author Topic: Tale of a 19th-century abortion provider  (Read 48940 times)

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Tale of a 19th-century abortion provider
« on: June 06, 2009, 11:55:05 am »
June 6, 2009
Op-Ed Columnist
Abortion Wars, the First Time Around
By KATE MANNING

At first glance, the recent killing of the abortion provider Dr. George Tiller in Kansas appears to be a modern phenomenon, the heinous byproduct of the politics of the last several decades. In fact, Dr. Tiller is just the latest in a line of brave people who have died for providing abortions. Perhaps the most infamous of these was a midwife named Ann Lohman, who killed herself in New York in 1878 after decades of harassment.

Lohman, who called herself Madame Restell, was an immigrant from Gloucestershire, England, who started out selling “female pills” to “regulate” women. The medicines — mostly herbs, perhaps some opium — promised relief from an “obstructed womb” and “suppressed” menstruation. “Not to be used when *******,” declared one of the many coy ads she placed, “as miscarriage may occur.”

In the event that the pills did not, in fact, induce miscarriage, Lohman offered a procedure in her offices, charging $20 for poor women, and as much as $100 for her increasingly wealthy clientele. She also boarded pregnant ladies, delivered babies, placed infants for adoption and conducted sex education classes.

In partnership with her husband, Charles Lohman — also known as “Dr. Mauriceau,” to appeal to the Francophile vanities of the carriage trade — Madame Restell grew rich from her thriving mail-order business, and even had agents in Boston, Philadelphia and Providence, R.I. She drove her fine carriage through Central Park, creating a scandal. The press delighted in describing her wardrobe, her dresses of silk and velvet, her hat with its red feather, and her ostentatious five-story house, with its lush gardens and stables, its tessellated marble entry and grand fireplaces, which she had built in 1862 on Fifth Avenue and 52nd Street. The neighbors were said to ridicule her tacky window dressings.

Lohman’s wealth and unrepentant behavior made her a tabloid favorite. The New York Herald, The National Police Gazette and The Polyanthos called her a “hag of misery,” “a modern Thug of civilized society,” and the lady of “the death’s head and the marrow bones.” Abortion, with its drama of illicit sex and romance gone sour, was, and remains, a sensation that sells news.

It has also long inspired angry protests. In a riot organized in 1846 by the newspaper publisher George Dixon, a mob surrounded Lohman’s house and chanted, “Hanging’s too good for her!” and “This house is built on babies’ skulls.”

Zealous prosecutors pursued Lohman almost from the start, even though abortion laws were weak and violations difficult to prosecute, as witnesses were reluctant to come forward and early pregnancy could not be proved. Even so, from 1839 to 1877, Lohman was arrested at least five times and jailed for months without bail. She spent countless hours and dollars defending herself against charges and rumors (that there was a special sewer built between her house and the Hudson River, to dispose of corpses; that she was responsible for the unsolved murder of a cigar girl, a case that Edgar Allan Poe used as the basis for a story, “The Mystery of Marie Rogêt”).

She was convicted only once, however, and served a year in the penitentiary on Blackwell’s (now Roosevelt) Island on misdemeanor charges. It was widely believed that she escaped harsher punishment by threatening to reveal the names of her patients — the mistresses, daughters and wives of the rich and powerful.

Her published letters suggest that Lohman was passionately committed to the idea of providing reproductive health care to women. When the authorities moved to stop the publication of ads for her services — on the grounds that birth control and abortifacients corrupted women — Madame Restell wrote to The Herald: “Would your wives, and your sisters, and your daughters, if once absolved from fear, all become prostitutes? I cannot conceive how men who are husbands, brothers or fathers can give utterance to an idea so intrinsically base and infamous.”

Though abortion by the untrained — then and now — is a dangerous procedure, no woman was ever proved to have died at Lohman’s hands. Indeed, testimony in her trials suggested that Madame Restell was a professional who cared deeply for her patients, staying with them overnight and nursing them with kind words. One patient testified that Lohman “told me to take great care, as she should feel anxious until she saw or heard from me.”

But in the 1870s, Ann Lohman finally met her match in the religious crusader Anthony Comstock, who persuaded Congress to prohibit the sale or distribution of materials that could be used for contraception or abortion, or the sending of such materials by mail. As a special agent of the United States Post Office, Comstock entrapped Lohman by posing as a husband seeking abortion services for a lady. When she provided him with some tablets, he returned and arrested her — accompanied by two reporters. She faced years in jail.

Despondent, fearing the shame that would come upon her family during a long trial and convinced that another stint in prison would kill her, Lohman climbed into her marble bathtub on the April morning her trial was to start, and slit her own throat. She was 66.

“A bloody ending to a bloody life,” Comstock commented upon hearing of her death. The newspapers echoed his sentiments. “The end of sin is death,” wrote The New York Tribune, and The Times editorialized that Lohman’s death was “a fit ending to an odious career.”

Lohman’s death did not put an end to abortion, nor to the battle fought over it. The murder of Dr. George Tiller will not accomplish those ends either.

Kate Manning, the author of the novel “Whitegirl,” is working on a novel based on Ann Lohman.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/06/opinion/06manning.html?th&emc=th

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of nature
Re: Tale of a 19th-century abortion provider
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 12:26:05 pm »
Interesting  news story Serious Crayons.  I wonder how her herbs and opium really helped ladies.

Its gross about the rumors "that there was a special sewer built between her house and the Hudson River, to dispose of corpses"

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 12:35:12 pm »
Interesting  news story Serious Crayons.  I wonder how her herbs and opium really helped ladies.

Well, there are certain herbs that are said to induce miscarriage, though not completely reliably. If you google "herbs" and "miscarriage" there are a bunch of articles. So I would guess her product was sometimes effective.

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 12:40:52 pm »
Prostitutes in the olden days had herbs and liquids they drank which they took the day after that might induce miscarriage.

Interesting article.  I'll have to read up on her.  Typically, a woman committing suicide takes pills.  I cannot imagine one slitting their own throat in a bathtub, good God.
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 12:50:54 pm »
Oops, I forgot to mention the source of the article. It was the NY Times. I'll add a link.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 02:21:26 pm »
Thanks for posting.

Just goes to show how the deeply needed Mrs. Lohman's services were and how scarce they were if she was able to become so fabulously wealthy providing them.

In those days women used to write their wills before giving birth because death was so common.  Yet the prevailing culture was that a good women serviced their husband's sexual needs even if it killed them, or if they grew too afraid, cut him off leaving her to a lifetime of celibacy and he to either be celibate with her or visit prostitutes - who also were in fear of unwanted pregnancies that could kill them.  Basically those women lived in a world of "take the cock and take the consequences".  Any attempt to avoid the "consequences" - for women to try to be like men in that they could enjoy sexual relations without fear of death - was instantly deemed as irreligious, immoral and/or illegal.  Only men were supposed to enjoy sex without fear.

Tragic that in many parts of the world - including a country supposedly as western and advanced as the U.S. - that that attitude still remains.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 02:33:42 pm »
Fascinating bit of history, even to a guy! Thanks, Katherine.

And doesn't it just show that the wealthy have always been able to "take care" of an inconvenient pregnancy?  :-\  I think that's come up in discussions of Lureen.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 02:41:39 pm »
Wikipedia has an informative article about the history of abortion:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_abortion

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 02:46:27 pm »
Denying women free and easy access to contraception and/or abortion is and has always been repression of women, pure and simple and heinous. Patriarchal society, taking the control of their bodies away from the women themselves. It represents misogyny and nothing else. That is and will remain my personal opinion.

Articles such as this one does nothing to change my view.

Calling the repression of women pro-life is and has always been disingenuous IMO. I wonder how many children born because Ann Lohmann couldn't provide her services any more did actually receive support,compassion and help to improve their lives from Mr. Comstock and his ilk? I bet all those male pillars of morality ever contributed was shaming the unwed mothers (and making ample use of their services if they were forced into prostitution to support themselves and their child), and making sure those children felt the stigma of being illegitimate all their lives.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2009, 02:57:46 pm »
Articles such as this one does nothing to change my view.

OK, but wait -- am I misunderstanding something? The article isn't in conflict with your view, is it?