Author Topic: Tale of a 19th-century abortion provider  (Read 49476 times)

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
Re: Tale of a 19th-century abortion provider
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2009, 02:59:55 pm »
No, it isn't. I should rather have said; This article reinforces my view.

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2009, 03:02:46 pm »
No, it isn't. I should rather have said; This article reinforces my view.

OK, thanks. That's what I figured you meant, but I wanted to make sure.  :)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2009, 03:07:17 pm »
Thanks for asking back, K and for clarifying, M. I also wondered.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2009, 03:10:26 pm »
Denying women free and easy access to contraception and/or abortion is and has always been repression of women, pure and simple and heinous. Patriarchal society, taking the control of their bodies away from the women themselves. It represents misogyny and nothing else. That is and will remain my personal opinion.

Articles such as this one does nothing to change my view.

Calling the repression of women pro-life is and has always been disingenuous IMO. I wonder how many children born because Ann Lohmann couldn't provide her services any more did actually receive support,compassion and help to improve their lives from Mr. Comstock and his ilk? I bet all those male pillars of morality ever contributed was shaming the unwed mothers (and making ample use of their services if they were forced into prostitution to support themselves and their child), and making sure those children felt the stigma of being illegitimate all their lives.

Agree.  It's all about control, IMO.  I've stopped calling them "pro-life" and started calling them "anti-choice".

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2009, 03:13:18 pm »
Agree.  It's all about control, IMO.  I've stopped calling them "pro-life" and started calling them "anti-choice".
I fully agree

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2009, 03:25:00 pm »
Yup. I'm calling them anti-choice too, have done so for quite a while, because that's what it's really all about.

I've been chagrined to see how easily both sides in the debate has accepted and respected the abortion opponents' use of "pro-life".

I remember driving into Denver last year I saw a car in front of us with this big bumper sticker with the picture of a foetus and the words "Woman, behold your son" pus some "pro-life" logo. It made a deep impression on me to witness a person who would use his religion to try to make random women who saw that sticker feel guilt and remorse over making a very difficult personal choice. To me that was all about trying to shame vulnerable women he happened to come across, and making them doubt their own decision-making powers, robbing them of their integrity. He probably felt like a bigger, better person for displaying that sticker.  :-X

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2009, 03:32:20 pm »
It made a deep impression on me to witness a person who would use his religion to try to make random women who saw that sticker feel guilt and remorse over making a very difficult personal choice. To me that was all about trying to shame vulnerable women he happened to come across, and making them doubt their own decision-making powers, robbing them of their integrity. He probably felt like a bigger, better person for displaying that sticker.

And robbing them of their peace of mind.  Basically it was a below the belt emotional punch.  You're exactly right, Mikaela, that's exactly what that bumper sticker's message was.  The driver probably not only felt self-righteous about that bumper sticker, he - and it was likely a he - was all about showing women their "place" - at the mercy of a shame culture.

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2009, 03:57:55 pm »
It was a "he" - I caught a few glimpses of the driver.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2009, 04:39:46 pm »

With the pro-life and the pro-choice monikers---both are noted as positives. If you choose to call the pro-lifers "anti-choice" -- then you won't mind being called "anti-life"?
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2009, 05:17:05 pm »
[ -- then you won't mind being called "anti-life"?[/b][/color]
ArenĀ“t you forgetting that the person in this scenario, that is undoubtfully "alive" is the woman?