Author Topic: Rewatching movies from our pasts -- still good?  (Read 41061 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Rewatching movies from our pasts -- still good?
« on: June 07, 2009, 03:22:30 am »
I don't know why we don't already have a thread devoted to movies we liked in the past and are rewatching. Sometimes, I find, they are just as wonderful as I remembered them. Other times .... not.

So tonight my baseball-besotted son and I watched Bull Durham. We're on a baseball streak and will probably report on a few others as we go along. Anyway, this is one I always loved, and I would say it held up pretty well. I think my son liked it from a baseball perspective, and I could still enjoy it as a character-drive romantic dramedy. At times it's a bit schlocky and heavy-handed in ways that might not have seemed obvious in 1988 (or at least, didn't to my 31-year-old self), but kind of are 21 years later. Not so much so as to wreck it, though.

As I've said here elsewhere, I really like Kevin Costner in light roles. This, Tin Cup, Field of Dreams, The Upside of Anger. He can be so light and natural and sexy. I usually don't like him in dramas, where he can be too ... too. However, one of his best roles was in A Perfect World, which is kind of in between. That movie is underrated. If you haven't seen it, I recommend it. I'm putting it on my "Rewatching movies" queue as we speak.

It's so hard to believe that Tim Robbins is about my age, because here he plays the dewy sexy newbie, but nowadays tends to get typecast as the crazy codger. Does that mean I'm a crazy codger?

Offline min

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Rewatching movies from our pasts -- still good?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 03:51:12 am »
I've never seen any of the movies you've mentioned so can't comment on them.  I do like Kevin Costner and he has acted in some pretty awful movies.

Tim Robbins...I've only seen him in 'The Shawshank Redemption' - brilliant.  Does he do a great 'crazy codger'?   :laugh:  Doesn't mean you are just 'cos you're close in age.   ;D

'Back to the Future' is one movie I like to rewatch, mainly because I've always enjoyed Michael J Fox's acting.  It captured my attention when it came out and I couldn't get enough of it, as well as BttF 2 and 3.  I like the idea that you can change your future by changing things in your parents' past.  The sins of the father.... ;D

Offline Berit

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 03:52:48 am »
I loved Hair when it came - and still does  :-* Treat Williams, oh so  :-* :-* :-*

I laughed at Smokey and the Bandit but that didn't last when I saw it again  :( :( :(

Many more has passed, I'll be back "waves"
Ennis.....always Ennis.....

Offline Berit

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 03:54:51 am »

'Back to the Future' is one movie I like to rewatch, mainly because I've always enjoyed Michael J Fox's acting.  It captured my attention when it came out and I couldn't get enough of it, as well as BttF 2 and 3.  I like the idea that you can change your future by changing things in your parents' past.  The sins of the father.... ;D

My son, born 1994, loves Back to the future, all 3 of them.We watch them quite often  :)
Ennis.....always Ennis.....

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 04:05:09 am »
'Back to the Future' is one movie I like to rewatch,

Of all the movies I've ever rewatched years later, I would say Back to the Future may be the most successful of all. It was every bit as good as I remembered, and my sons loved it even more than I did and watched all of the sequels numerous times.

Another really good one that I liked seeing again and they liked too was Big. What a delightful movie. Even though those back-to-the-past movies have become a cliche, they're almost always pretty watchable. I also liked 13 Going on 30 and, more recently, 17 Again. But "Big" and BTtF really set the bar, IMO.

On the other side of rewatched movies is Raiders of the Lost Ark. I remembered that as one of my favorite movies. But when I watched it again with my (then pretty young) sons, they hated it and even I did not enjoy it as much as I remembered. It seemed surprisingly slow moving and, from their POV, too scary and gory, even though I thought by then they had seen far worse.

It's weird how movies age well, or don't.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 10:02:25 am »
On the other side of rewatched movies is Raiders of the Lost Ark. I remembered that as one of my favorite movies. But when I watched it again with my (then pretty young) sons, they hated it and even I did not enjoy it as much as I remembered. It seemed surprisingly slow moving and, from their POV, too scary and gory, even though I thought by then they had seen far worse.

Raiders "slow moving"?  :o

It's weird how movies age well, or don't.

That's probably as subjective as taste in moves to begin with, don'tcha think? I mean, whether a movie has aged well or not?

I guess I haven't noticed this phenomenon that much. I have an entire bookcase full of movies (most on tape). I seem to have so little time to sit down and watch a movie--and I hate watching movies on video in a stop-and-start fashion. If I don't have time to watch the film the whole way through, I usually just channel-surf TV. (There's always a Law and Order episode on somewhere!  :laugh: ) When I do have time to watch a movie, I tend to reach for an acknowleged classic, like Sunset Boulevard or All About Eve (Lord have mercy, how gay are those choices?  :laugh: ) But I find that films like those stay just as good as the day they were released--which, I suppose, is at least one attribute of a classic movie.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 02:28:30 pm »
Yes I have to agree with all the fans of Back to the Future....I love it.  In fact I love most movies set in the 50's because I love the music that goes with them. There were some great sounds from that era. Grease is another one I have seen more times than I can remember.

I guess, sometimes, re-watching a movie that you saw years ago, is a little bit like hearing a golden oldie song on the radio. It can often bring back the memory of when you first saw it, who you saw it with,and how you felt when you first saw it.

Grease, for example, was the first video we ever owned and so it was played non stop when we first got it. My kids were in their early teens,and knew the script off by heart, and started using some of the phrases like "cruisin for a bruisin" and loved to get up and do their own rendition of Grease Lightenin. Whenever I watch Grease, those times come rushing back.

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 04:11:27 pm »
Raiders "slow moving"?  :o

That's probably as subjective as taste in moves to begin with, don'tcha think? I mean, whether a movie has aged well or not?

It's partly subjective, yes. But for instance, the reason Raiders didn't age well, for me, was that a lot of its initial appeal came from its snappy pace and nonstop action, because when the movie first came out those things were novelties. That was around the time when movies were still transitioning from '70s-style character dramas to flashy, comic-book, special-effects spectaculars.

But now the pace of action flicks has picked up SO much -- too much, one might argue, but still -- that Raiders no longer seems novel and original. And a movie whose entertainment value lies mostly in its pacing and thrills can no longer afford long talky scenes that drag a bit, which, surprisingly, Raiders has.

By the way, one thing I noticed about Bull Durham was how the characters swear a lot, but there's no graphic sex or nudity. That would never happen now, I don't think. Movies rated PG-13 can't have more than about one "fuck." Bull Durham probably has a dozen or so -- but just the word, not the act. I think now filmmakers either tone down the language and go for a PG-13, or they include sex and nudity and get an R.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 05:03:45 pm »

Another really good one that I liked seeing again and they liked too was Big. What a delightful movie. Even though those back-to-the-past movies have become a cliche, they're almost always pretty watchable. I also liked 13 Going on 30 and, more recently, 17 Again. But "Big" and BTtF really set the bar, IMO.

Do I detect a trend here, friend??

Lately I enjoy watching select old movies in director's cut or Blu-Ray...I really enjoyed watching The Shining in Blu-Ray just before visiting its filming location, the Timberline Lodge in Oregon!! A few of my favorite movies are now being issued on DVD, such as Bertolucci's The Conformist and di Sica's The Leopard. Watching the latter set me off on a major Claudia Cardinale movie hunt, which culminated in seeing her in Once Upon a Time in the West. Outstanding movies...they just don't make em like that ennimore.

Oh, and Katherine, better a crazy codger than a dour dowager!!
 ::)
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 07:51:05 pm »
It's partly subjective, yes. But for instance, the reason Raiders didn't age well, for me, was that a lot of its initial appeal came from its snappy pace and nonstop action, because when the movie first came out those things were novelties. That was around the time when movies were still transitioning from '70s-style character dramas to flashy, comic-book, special-effects spectaculars.

But now the pace of action flicks has picked up SO much -- too much, one might argue, but still -- that Raiders no longer seems novel and original. And a movie whose entertainment value lies mostly in its pacing and thrills can no longer afford long talky scenes that drag a bit, which, surprisingly, Raiders has.

Sorry, I still say that's subjective, and not just "partly." Even if you time a scene with a stopwatch, what seems "talky" and draggy to one viewer may still be something that another enjoys--and doesn't tind talky or draggy at all.

All add one caveat (if that's the correct term here) with specific regard to Raiders. From the very first release I thought the sequence where Indy tries to commandeer the truck taking the Ark back to Cairo was too long. But that's not something that I would find changed with the passage of time. I thought it was too long in 1981.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 08:04:52 pm »
Sorry, I still say that's subjective, and not just "partly." Even if you time a scene with a stopwatch, what seems "talky" and draggy to one viewer may still be something that another enjoys--and doesn't tind talky or draggy at all.

True, those adjectives are definitely subjective.

But if the scenes are longer and talkier than other comparable scenes in today's popular action movies -- and again, if the movie's central appeal rests in fast-paced thrills, like those other movies -- then chances are many viewers will have the same reaction, that 1981's standard for fast-paced thrills is not the same as 2009's.

Bear in mind that I absolutely loved Raiders when it came out.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 02:22:25 pm »
I just rewatched The Anniversary Party last night.  I love that movie.  And I understand new things about it as I mature (for example, the first couple of times I saw it, I completely missed the unspoken, but obvious gay relationship in the movie).  It was written AND directed by Jennifer Jason Leigh AND Alan Cumming.  AND they star in it, as a married couple who are hosting a party for their 6th wedding anniversary.  As the movie unfolds, we discover that although they are hosting this party to celebrate their love and commitment to each other, they only just got back together 5 months ago, after a serious break up.  

The other thing that's cool is we (the audience) discover as the movie goes on that the characters they play are both very famous, she as an actress, he as a novelist, with very famous and talented friends (and not famous attendees) who come over to celebrate with them.  Kevin Kline, his real-life wife Phoebe Cates, and their two real-life kids play a slightly tweaked version of their real family.  I love the Kevin Kline character - and I applaud Kevin Kline for the self-mocking he does in the role.  One of my favorite parts: he is orating about why he (in his mid-forties) should get a part in the novelist's movie, despite that the character is in his 20s.  Kevin: "That role needs some gravitas."  Novelist: "And you've got that gravitas?"  Kevin: "I've got gravitas up the whazoo."  (I may choose this as my motto.)

As the movie unfolds, we discover who knows what about each other, who is falling apart, who is actually happy.  The movie starts as they wake up the morning of the party, and ends as they wake up the day after the party.  What happens in between is significant for every person in the movie, each for their own reasons.  It's very, very well-written, and very, very cool.

Other actors with significant parts:  John C. Reilly as a director and friend, Gwyneth Paltrow as the up-and-coming actress who the Jennifer Jason Leigh character feels threatened by, despite Gwyneth's hero worship of her.  Another great line - Gwyneth: "I've watched your movies since I was a little girl.  You're my favorite living actress."  This line is delivered with what seems like sincerity, but is reacted to like a slap.

Oh, another favorite part - the charades scene, and how different characters handle the competition and creativity of it.

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0254099/

A+
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 11:15:26 pm by Ellemeno »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 02:45:25 pm »
That movie looks great, friend! I will watch ennithing with Kevin Kline in it!! He's right about gravitas...he did play the president, after all (even though he was just an interloper).

Question for discussion: Kevin Kline vs. Robin Williams??

One movie I HAVE to get my hands on an watch again soon is Local Hero. I can't afford Netflix in my present unemployed condition, and Blockbuster doesn't carry 90% of the movies I want to see...what to do??

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2009, 02:53:09 pm »
C, The Anniversary Party is now in my queue.

Question for discussion: Kevin Kline vs. Robin Williams??

That's a curious pairing, F-R. But I would say, without hesitation, Kevin Kline.

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2009, 03:31:15 pm »
I have to admit that I got rid of cable at my home about three years ago when I was living in Ireland, and because I don't have a cable connection thingy anymore, I also can't even get the local channels, so I just tell people that I don't even have a TV; it's easier than explaining.  As such, I have a collection of a couple thousand movies on tape and DVD.  And also, being as I'm living a life of leisure these days (i.e., unemployed), and LOVE movies more than just about anything, I find myself couchbound for at least two or three of them a day.

Katherine, I'm also a huge Costner fan and have seen everything he's ever done (even The Postman -- eek) about two dozen times, maybe more.  He was great, and out of normal character, in Perfect World, and it took some getting used to, but I also learned to love it quickly.  My fave moment in Tin Cup is when he and Rene Russo are next to the river, and he's drinking whiskey out of a chipped glass, and is kinda sweaty, and puts his left up on the front bumper where she's leaning, to try to kiss her, and that crazy woman turns him down, can you believe????  I also thought Cheech Marin was hilarious in that one.  I sometimes go on themed Kevin Costner (or Redford, or Freeman, or Washington) rampages where I line up every movie I own from them in chronological order, and watch them straight thru for days.

OK, everybody, put down your backwards "L"'s on your foreheads and stop snickering.  I know that I am when it comes to movies, but I'm also an expert when anybody brings up the topic, so that's my consolation for my years and years of couch time, I mean, hard work.

Oh, and on the subject of Bull Durham, doesn't Tim Robbin's naked butt in the locker room count as graphic?

Min, I think Katherine was referring to Tim in movies lately like "Mystic River", where he plays a very messed-up older man.

Clarrisa, I also loved Anniversary Party, which was a highly-underrated and underseen film, I think.  It really does make you think when you watch it at different stages of your life.  Anyone who's a fan of Kevin's needs to see "Life as a House" with Kristin Scott Thomas, and "A Prairie Home Companion" with Meryl Streep.  Also "The Ice Storm" with Sigourney Weaver, and "Violets are Blue" with Sissy Spacek.

Lee, I loved "Local Hero" also.  Watched that when I little kid first time, when I was massively in love with all things Scottish, as I still am all these years later.  That's such an old flick, I doubt you'll find it anywhere except maybe to buy it on E-Bay or used on Amazon.
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2009, 03:50:09 pm »
Oh, and on the subject of Bull Durham, doesn't Tim Robbin's naked butt in the locker room count as graphic?

:laugh:  OK. But for a movie about a woman having affairs with two different men, it's pretty low on sex!

Min, I think Katherine was referring to Tim in movies lately like "Mystic River", where he plays a very messed-up older man.

Yup. And he plays a crazy codger in War of the Worlds, too.

Speaking of Kevin Costner, Mandy, I thought you might appreciate this piece from Slate, if you didn't see it already. It's a defense of the much-maligned Waterworld.

http://www.slate.com/id/2210436/

Did you see The Upside of Anger? He was great in that.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 07:59:19 pm by serious crayons »

Offline optom3

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2009, 07:48:46 pm »
My taste in movies is a real mixed bag. I love GiGi with Maurice Chevalier, anything at all with Audrey Hepburn. I sit mesmerised by her beautiful face. I also have a big soft spot for Lawrence of Arabia, Peter O'Toole had quite the most beautiful eyes I have ever seen. Pretty woman, yes I know, but not all life can be tragic, it's nice to have a happy ending.
I also loved Angela's ashes and My Left Foot. The talented Mr. Ripley is worth watching several times, and I do. Death in Venice, is exquisite, as is the English Patient. The only genre I cannot watch are horror movies. I saw the exorcist when I was 15 and have never watched a horror movie since.
Monty python's Life of Brian. Oh I should stop I am going on and on.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2009, 08:00:05 pm »
Oops! I just noticed I originally forgot to include the link I referred to in my post above. I've updated the post with the link.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2009, 11:08:24 pm »
My taste in movies is a real mixed bag. I love GiGi with Maurice Chevalier, anything at all with Audrey Hepburn. I sit mesmerised by her beautiful face. I also have a big soft spot for Lawrence of Arabia, Peter O'Toole had quite the most beautiful eyes I have ever seen. Pretty woman, yes I know, but not all life can be tragic, it's nice to have a happy ending.
I also loved Angela's ashes and My Left Foot. The talented Mr. Ripley is worth watching several times, and I do. Death in Venice, is exquisite, as is the English Patient. The only genre I cannot watch are horror movies. I saw the exorcist when I was 15 and have never watched a horror movie since.
Monty python's Life of Brian. Oh I should stop I am going on and on.

Fiona, if you love Audrey Hepburn and Peter O'Toole, do you adore the very cute How to Steal a Million?  I have enjoyed that movie several times.

I was raised watching Gigi, and still love the songs from it, but now that I'm older and understand that she was a child being groomed to be a (what's the right word?) courtesan, it's got an ick factor that has made me not see it in years.  But, like I said, I love the songs, especially I Remember it Well.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sISWPzEqHLQ[/youtube]

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2009, 11:13:43 pm »
K, I liked the Upside of Anger too.  I was very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the dialogue in it.  But my favorite Kevin Costner movie - though I'm not at all saying it was his best, was No Way Out.  Anybody seen that?  A very cool concept.  It has Gene Hackman in a significant role, where he is partly a bad guy and partly not such a bad guy, kind of similar to the role he (Gene Hackman) plays in another one of my favorite movies, The Firm.  Anybody else like those two movies?

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2009, 11:16:34 pm »
In anticipation of the remake of The Taking of Pelham 123 a friend watched the original when it came on last week or so.  As little kids watching it on TV we both remembered it as darkly funny and highly suspenseful.  He said this time it was just so-so.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2009, 11:17:16 pm »
What are everyone's favorite Robert Redford movies?  I love Sneakers, Three Days of the Condor, and Spy Game.  I'm not saying they are his best, but they are fun to watch.

Offline Mandy21

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2009, 12:48:09 am »
Clarissa, yes I've seen Upside of Anger and No Way Out many times.  Loved the true emotions in UOA and the incredible suspense and, of course, georgeness of our boy KC in NWO.  Did you see him in two his earliest films -- Fandango, and American Flyers?

Fave RR movies for me and my top four fave movies ever, in order:
Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid -- how can you go wrong with Robert and Paul, and dusty boots and chaps
Jeremiah Johnson -- sad, but probably realistic of the timeframe in the Old West
Out of Africa -- the scene where he's walking up to embrace Meryl Streep on the porch, and the camera pans in closer and closer
Electric Horseman -- hilarious and genuine, chemistry with Jane Fonda (after they did Barefoot in the Park in late 60's) was palpable and lovely to watch

You and I should get together and have an RR/KC filmfest for a week, whatcha think?  You don't have anything better to do, do ya?  ;)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 07:27:29 pm by Mandy21 »
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2009, 09:00:11 am »
Speaking of KC AND KK, anyone see Silverado? I saw that when it came out and loved it. Then it showed up on TV maybe a year ago and I lost interest after the first half hour or so.

On the other hand, speaking of RR, my son and I rented Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid not long ago and we both loved it. That one has held up very, very well.

Now I've been trying to rent The Sting with no long. It's on Blockbuster's "very long wait" list. I wonder if that's just a euphemism for "We don't actually own a copy."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2009, 09:33:05 am »

Lee, I loved "Local Hero" also.  Watched that when I little kid first time, when I was massively in love with all things Scottish, as I still am all these years later.  That's such an old flick, I doubt you'll find it anywhere except maybe to buy it on E-Bay or used on Amazon.

Hey! Me and Peter Riegert, for two, don't appreciate that! The movie came out in 1983, later than a lot of the other films we're discussing here! But thank yew for mentioning it with fondness!!

I could go for a RR/KC film festival...yeah!!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2009, 11:38:27 pm »

Speaking of KC AND KK, anyone see Silverado?

No, not yet, but Lawrence Kasdan, who wrote and directed it, also wrote and directed one of my favorite movies ever, Grand Canyon, as well as Mumford, which I watched again recently and really enjoyed.

Who can name another movie that has KC and KK in it?  Hint - it's sort of a trick question.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2009, 12:10:00 am »

Who can name another movie that has KC and KK in it?  Hint - it's sort of a trick question.

The Big Chill--Kevin Costner's character got left on the kutting room floor.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2009, 02:06:46 am »
The Big Chill--Kevin Costner's character got left on the kutting room floor.

We have a winner!  But you do see bits of him as he is being dressed for his funeral.

:)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2009, 10:11:17 am »
I always thought KC would have been a bit out of place in that movie, anyway. The characters were all supposed to be all college classmates, right, reunited by their friend's death. But all of the other actors seemed older than KC. And in fact (thank you, IMDb!), all of the other "classmates" were born in the late '40s, except Jeff Goldblum, 1952. Whereas KC was born in 1955.

By the way, also according to IMDb, Lawrence Kasdan has an "untitled Big Chill remake" in development. I wonder if that will come to pass. Doesn't sound like a great idea, though I would like to see a BC sequel, with the characters now 60ish.

I see that LD wrote another long-ago favorite, Body Heat. I've been curious about how I'd like that and Romancing the Stone if I watched them now.

But what if my fond memories are tarnished? Maybe sometimes it's better not to rewatch movies you once loved. What do you all think?

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2009, 09:49:37 pm »
Movies from my past, huh?

I always watch "Grease", and "Breakfast Club" each time they come on.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2009, 07:33:17 am »
Yeah, I think "Breakfast Club" has held up well~~even with their extremely 80's wardrobe (it was 80's, wasn't it). I like that the action takes place over the course of just one Saturday.

"Jaws" was very terrifying to me when I saw it at the theater in the 70's. I mean~~VERY terrifying. So, I got a copy last year and told my niece--we are going to watch this together: it's going to scare you silly!! Well, she was bored and she wasn't scared. LOL. The shark was pretty unreal looking and the special effects....well, you know. The special effects now are so much more sophisticated, I guess. I wasn't too scared either.  :P
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2009, 08:27:50 am »
Hiya Shas!

Yes, it was the 80s.

and isn't it funny that films that scared the crap out of us just don't affect the next generation?

I remember my mom making us watch a film that scared the crap out of her, called "Trilogy Of Terror" staring Karen Black.

My brothers and I thought it was hysterical.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2009, 08:40:17 am »
Hmmm....did I see that? Did it have a little crazy wild doll guy with a knife who jumped out from under furniture?  :o (Not talking about Chucky--it was a cannibal wild guy.)
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Online southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2009, 08:50:46 am »

Scared the poop out of me too!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2009, 04:01:35 pm »

So, this past Sunday night in Denver, I watched Raiders of the Lost Ark (now retitled Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark, for the sake of the boxed set, I guess, so its title parallels the titles of the sequels) with Edelmar, FRont Ranger, and Chuck (the offline one). I hadn't seen the film for years. I'm happy to report that I still find it just as good as the day it was released. Nothing talky or draggy about it.  ;D

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2009, 04:30:27 pm »
So, this past Sunday night in Denver, I watched Raiders of the Lost Ark (now retitled Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark, for the sake of the boxed set, I guess, so its title parallels the titles of the sequels) with Edelmar, FRont Ranger, and Chuck (the offline one). I hadn't seen the film for years. I'm happy to report that I still find it just as good as the day it was released. Nothing talky or draggy about it.  ;D

Glad you enjoyed it!  :D

Have you seen the new one, from a year or two ago? I hated that one, but maybe it's just me.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2009, 06:33:31 pm »
Glad you enjoyed it!  :D

Have you seen the new one, from a year or two ago? I hated that one, but maybe it's just me.

Nope. Last "Indy film"  ;D I saw was Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, which I actually didn't much like, even though it had Sean Connery.

For that matter, even though I generally liked Indiana Jones and Temple of Doom, for me the series jumped the shark with the "pull the heart out of the chest" business. Considering the supernatural climax to Raiders, I even laugh at myself that they lost me with the "heart business" because I found it implausible!  :laugh:  I guess I can "buy" the climax to Raiders but not the "heart business" in "TOD" because I was raised Christian-religious, so the stories of the power of the Ark of the Covenant are within my frame of reference. At least, that's the only explanation I've been able to come up with for why I'm OK with the climax to Raiders but annoyed by the "heart business" in "TOD."

And I haven't seen a Star Wars movie since Return of the Jedi. Lucas lost me when he made Luke and Leia siblings and Darth Vader their father.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2009, 02:59:16 am »
Hmmm....did I see that? Did it have a little crazy wild doll guy with a knife who jumped out from under furniture?  :o (Not talking about Chucky--it was a cannibal wild guy.)

Little zuni doll.

:laugh:

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2009, 03:46:54 am »
Chuck is really on the ball.  See how he answered Shasta's question...which she posted over three months ago.   ::)   :laugh:   :-*

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2010, 06:33:56 pm »
I just got around to catching up with this thread, and this wonderful review by Ellemeno leaped out at me.

I just rewatched The Anniversary Party last night.  I love that movie.  And I understand new things about it as I mature (for example, the first couple of times I saw it, I completely missed the unspoken, but obvious gay relationship in the movie).  It was written AND directed by Jennifer Jason Leigh AND Alan Cumming.  AND they star in it, as a married couple who are hosting a party for their 6th wedding anniversary.  As the movie unfolds, we discover that although they are hosting this party to celebrate their love and commitment to each other, they only just got back together 5 months ago, after a serious break up. . . Kevin Kline, his real-life wife Phoebe Cates, and their two real-life kids play a slightly tweaked version of their real family.  I love the Kevin Kline character - and I applaud Kevin Kline for the self-mocking he does in the role.  ... As the movie unfolds, we discover who knows what about each other, who is falling apart, who is actually happy.  The movie starts as they wake up the morning of the party, and ends as they wake up the day after the party.  What happens in between is significant for every person in the movie, each for their own reasons.  It's very, very well-written, and very, very cool. . . http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0254099/

Sounds a little like a mash-up of two movies I've seen recently, It's Complicated and Mrs. Dalloway! This is one I have to see! But right now, I'm watching Local Hero, which we started talking about earlier on this thread and then got distracted talking about Robert Redford, et al. (Understandable enuff!) Mandy, I found it on Amazon, and didn't have to buy a used copy!! It's about a young hotshot oil executive who gets sent from Houston to a small town in Scotland to negotiate a deal. This movie's not for everyone. It's a comedy but much of the humor is so subtle that it could be yawn-producing for many. And there's not much action and not even much plot. I just told you about most of the plot two sentences back! What the movie does have is a young aimless man as the central character, another young man who accompanies him in his work and befriends him, a barnyard animal that helps the two bond, a couple of enigmatic women who are their love interests, a storekeeper who one of the women is married to, a crazy old man, some spectacular rugged scenery, lonely scenes at night, a wonderful soundtrack...hey, wait a minute, does all this sound familiar??  8)

Offline Mandy21

« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2010, 07:35:32 pm »
This is one I have to see! But right now, I'm watching Local Hero, which we started talking about earlier on this thread and then got distracted talking about Robert Redford, et al. (Understandable enuff!) Mandy, I found it on Amazon, and didn't have to buy a used copy!! It's about a young hotshot oil executive who gets sent from Houston to a small town in Scotland to negotiate a deal. This movie's not for everyone. It's a comedy but much of the humor is so subtle that it could be yawn-producing for many. And there's not much action and not even much plot. I just told you about most of the plot two sentences back! What the movie does have is a young aimless man as the central character, another young man who accompanies him in his work and befriends him, a barnyard animal that helps the two bond, a couple of enigmatic women who are their love interests, a storekeeper who one of the women is married to, a crazy old man, some spectacular rugged scenery, lonely scenes at night, a wonderful soundtrack...hey, wait a minute, does all this sound familiar??  8)

Lee, I just love love LOVE the way you just analogized Local Hero to BBM.  Even though I've seen LH about 20 times and BBM about 300 times, I never would have thought of that comparison.  Could you BE any more clever?

Thanks for reinvigorating this thread.

P.S.  You forgot to mention the scientist mermaid.   :o
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2010, 09:07:32 pm »
... a couple of enigmatic women who are their love interests...

I did mention her, Mandy!! Thank you for your compliment...I see Brokieisms in everything I watch or read!!

Offline Mandy21

« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2010, 09:47:22 pm »
"Enigmatic", yes.  That sums them up entirely.  Both of them definitely were.
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2010, 04:48:48 am »
The most outstanding music I have ever heard, is the instrumental "Coming Home" which is from Local Hero.

The Dire Straits version played regularly on our stereo and int he car.....definately my favourite music/song ever.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Mandy21

« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2010, 12:50:09 pm »
Thanks for that, Sue.  I'll have to pick up the video at my library again, now, cause I never noticed the music.  I was way too enamored of the mind-bogglingly beautiful Scottish landscape to notice much else.  Hell, I think it took me about 5 viewings before I even noticed what the actors were saying.     :D
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2010, 12:54:41 pm »
Thanks for that, Sue.  I'll have to pick up the video at my library again, now, cause I never noticed the music.  I was way too enamored of the mind-bogglingly beautiful Scottish landscape to notice much else.  Hell, I think it took me about 5 viewings before I even noticed what the actors were saying.     :D

I agree with you there! Last night I was watching this movie and I hit the replay button when I got to the meteor shower part, and then again when the aurora borealis was the star!! It was mystical!

As far as the soundtrack is concerned, I suggest purchasing the CD Screenplaying by Mark Knopfler. It contains the soundtrack for Local Hero and The Princess Bride, as well as two other movies. I always carry it with me in my car for when I need soothing or inspiration!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2010, 10:07:04 pm »
I hope I won't be pilloried if I talk just a little more about Local Hero:

Instead of Chilean sheep, there is a Russian trawler. Instead of coyotes, there are seals that eat the salmon.

One of the men gives Marina a footrub, only to find out something very strange about her!

There’s even a harmonica…a very large one. Actually an accordion!!

At the very end, Mac looks at snapshots he’s pinned up of Scotland, and then gazes out the window at downtown Houston.

Offline Mandy21

« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2010, 12:04:03 am »
Ha ha ha!  Lee, I am soooooo going to watch this movie in a WHOLE new light when I pick it up at the library manana.
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Mandy21

« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2010, 04:04:13 pm »
Lee, I watched this again this weekend, and although it was very difficult, I tried to concentrate specifically on the music.  I'm not sure which scene "Coming Home" is played in?  The only song, and it only lasted a few seconds, that really struck me was when they were driving from Aberdeen to the village and the mist came up, and they had to stop.  Also the song during the Aurora Borealis.  But other than those two, I didn't find anything special.  Am I missing something?
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2010, 07:13:10 pm »
It's true that only snippets of the music appear in the movie, except for a few times, like the instance you mention where they find the bunny. But also when Gordon plays the accordion, that is a longer song, and of course at the end, when the music comes up as Mac gazes out at downtown Houston, and the credits begin. To really appreciate the music, you need to listen to the soundtrack. According to imdb, the soundtrack made more money than the movie did!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2010, 07:19:37 pm »
Here's a link to "Going Home," the theme song of Local Hero, by Mark Knopfler. It is quite Gustavo-esque.

http://popup.lala.com/popup/360569522480403760

It is played in the very last scene of the movie.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2010, 09:39:08 pm »
Oh, just thought of another one.

I will always watch Dirty Dancing when it comes on.

Offline Mandy21

« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2010, 12:53:58 am »
Here's a link to "Going Home," the theme song of Local Hero, by Mark Knopfler. It is quite Gustavo-esque.

http://popup.lala.com/popup/360569522480403760

It is played in the very last scene of the movie.

Thanks, Lee.  Now I recognize it.  Guess I didn't pay attention cause I was so disappointed that he didn't say goodbye to the innkeeper's wife.  It is indeed a beautiful, haunting song, and I would agree on the "Gustavo-esqueness" (did you just patent that phrase?) of it.  Also kind of "VanGelis-y", I think.   :D
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2010, 12:52:44 pm »
Yes it is Vangellisesque as well!!

Here is the complete playlist to the movie soundtrack:

1. The Rocks and the Water
2. Wild Theme
3. Freeway Flier
4. Boomtown
5. The Way it Always Starts
6. The Rocks and the Thunder
7. The Ceilidh and the Northern Lights
8. The Mist Covered Mountains
9. The Ceilidh (Louis Favorite Billy's Tune)
10. Whistle Theme
11. Smootching
12. Stargazer
13. The Rocks and the Thunder
14. Going Home (Theme)

The Whistle Theme is a restating of the Going Home theme with an Irish tin whistle, and is a beautiful song. Wild Theme is another version, this time done on Knopflers legendary Stratocaster guitar with a beautiful piano accompaniment. One I especially like is The Mist Covered Mountains. It sounds like an ancient Scottish song and is haunting. It's also more than 5 minutes long, which I love. You can hear the waves crashing in the background on this one. Smootching is also very good...I think it played during the scene when the Urquarts decided to have a little afternoon delight. The Ceildh and the Northern Lights is quite magical, and is another restating of the Going Home theme. The Rocks and the Water and The Rocks and the Thunder are lovely atmospheric songs featuring oboe that set the tone.

Not all of the songs are instrumentals. "The Way It Always Starts" is performed by Gerry Raferty, Marc Clarke (the keyboardist from Dire Straits) and The Acetones (the little band that played during the ceildh). Here are the lyrics:

"It gets so dark before the dawn
That's when it gets to me
Before the city symphony of taxi horns

That's the way it always starts
Sitting here and waiting on the beating of my heart

Last night I thought I heard my name
Well it was too dark to see, but it had to be
The voice was just the same

Sitting here and waiting on the beating of my heart

So tell me why should it have to be this way
Why can't it be all right
Why can't I sleep at night?
Why should it have to be this way?
Why must there be this price to pay?

Now all the streets are dark and bare
Oh, if you can live in this town
And stick around, you can live anywhere

Sitting here and waiting on the beating of my heart"

It goes without saying that my least favorite cuts are Boomtown and Freeway Flier, which play during the Houston sections of the movie.

Did I ever mention that Mark Knopfler is a Scotsman? In this soundtrack, he really goes back to his roots!

« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 02:28:05 pm by Front-Ranger »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2010, 02:33:14 pm »
I'm disappointed that Victor's song from the ceildh wasn't included in the soundtrack. As sung by actor Christopher Rozycki, who played the captain of the visiting Russian fishing trawler, it was ribald, funny, and touching at the same time. Some of the words were:

I was born to be a wanderer
But when my wandering days are over
I'll search for someone as lonesome
As a lonesome man like me.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2010, 02:50:05 pm »
Oh, just thought of another one.

I will always watch Dirty Dancing when it comes on.

Nobody puts Chuckie in a corner. ...

;)  ;D  :-*

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2010, 08:30:32 pm »
Okay, here you go, guys:

Boy: Now I've had the time of my life
No I never felt like this before
Yes I swear it's the truth
and I owe it all to you

Girl: 'Cause I've had the time of my life
and I owe it all to you

Boy: I've been waiting for so long
Now I've finally found someone
To stand by me

Girl: We saw the writing on the wall
As we felt this magical fantasy

Both: Now with passion in our eyes
There's no way we could disguise it secretly
So we take each other's hand
'Cause we seem to understand the urgency

Boy: just remember

Girl: You're the one thing

Boy: I can't get enough of

Girl: So I'll tell you something

Both:This could be love because

(CHORUS)
Both: I've had the time of my life
No I never felt this way before
And I owe it all to you
'Cause I've had the time of my life
And I've searched through every open door
'Til I found the truth
And I owe it all to you

Girl: With my body and soul
I want you more than you'll ever know

Boy: So we'll just let it go
Don't be afraid to lose control

Girl: Yes I know whats on your mind
When you say:
"Stay with me tonight."

Boy: Just remember
You're the one thing

Girl: I can't get enough of

Boy: So I'll tell you something

Both: This could be love because

(CHORUS)
Both: 'Cause I had the time of my life
No I've never felt this way before
And I owe it all to you
'Cause I've had the time of my life
Till I found the truth
and I owe it all to you

*Instrumental*

Boy: Now I've had the time of my life
No I never felt this way before

(Girl: Never Felt this way)

Boy: Yes I swear it's the truth
and I owe it all to you

Both: 'Cause I had the time of my life
Till I've found the truth
and I owe it all to you

Both: "cause I've had the time of my life
No I've never felt this way before
And I owe it all to you

Okay, now can I talk about Local Hero a bit more?!?!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2010, 10:15:00 pm »
Okay, now can I talk about Local Hero a bit more?!?!

Yes, FRiend. But meanwhile, let me announce the list of movies from the past I rented tonight. Some are from our cultural, collective past (because I haven't seen them), some from my own past. I will report later on whether they're still good.

I see the list is heavy on the word "The." I once had a friend who said he was wary of any movie whose title began with "The." We were on our way to "The Verdict." He liked it.

The Hustler (haven't seen it)
The Color of Money (seen it, but decades ago)
The Verdict (ditto)
Vertigo (never seen this!)
The Conversation (nor this!)
Mr. Mom (seen it, and not sure it will hold up, but one of my sons mentioned it recently and I'm humoring him).

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2010, 10:18:57 pm »
Looks like some good viewings ahead for you!! Do I count right, that there are three Paul Newman films in there?
?

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2010, 10:12:07 pm »

But I may go there willingly.

>:D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2010, 08:46:26 am »

But I may go there willingly.

>:D

And here we all thought you were saving yourself for marriage. ...

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #61 on: April 01, 2010, 11:23:21 am »
Whoever told you that, lied!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #62 on: April 01, 2010, 11:56:14 am »
And here we all thought you were saving yourself for marriage. ...

Whoever told you that, lied!

8)

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2010, 12:14:27 pm »

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #64 on: April 01, 2010, 12:27:26 pm »
can't unring a bell, Jeff!  ;D  :laugh:

Nobody ever said you were "untouched."  ::)

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2010, 02:27:15 pm »
Nobody ever said you were "untouched."  ::)

Oh my....we're going off topic here.

But isn't that what "saving yourself for marriage is?"  being "untouched"?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2010, 02:41:18 pm »
Oh my....we're going off topic here.

But isn't that what "saving yourself for marriage is?"  being "untouched"?

For a gay man, not necessarily. ...  8)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #67 on: April 02, 2010, 11:24:32 pm »
Hons, you've been off-topic for a page or two now...but that's completely all right with me because I'm hoping you'll let me talk about Local Hero a little more!!  ::)

Offline Mandy21

« Reply #68 on: April 03, 2010, 12:57:24 am »
Proceed, Lee.  I'm listening.
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #69 on: April 04, 2010, 10:40:58 pm »
Well, I'm still fixated on ways this movie is a lot like Brokeback Mountain, even though Local Hero is a comedy and BBM is a tragedy. It strikes me that in both movies there are some Texans that have a craving to be in another place...Wyoming or Scotland (and both places are rural and northern and more primitive).

And another thing... a prominent prop in both movies is...a telephone booth! The booth in Local Hero is the traditional red British phone booth. When "the gentleman from the states has to make a very important call" everyone in the local pub chips in to contribute coins. The Local Hero phone booth on the beach was just made of paper mache and went away after the movie. But people kept searching for it who came on a "pilgrimage" to visit the movie sets. Finally the townsfolk had one installed.

Even though it's a "cult" movie, a lot of people have come to Scotland to find the locations that appear there. Some of the townsfolk got upset at the director for disrupting their quiet rural lives. And that was the case with the people of Wyoming too. I've met some who were very upset with Annie Proulx for setting her stories in their state and for implying that Wyoming men could be cowboys or ranch hands and also gay.

Offline Mandy21

« Reply #70 on: April 04, 2010, 11:30:21 pm »
and the clothesline scenes in each
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Mandy21

« Reply #71 on: April 04, 2010, 11:33:16 pm »
and the neverending supply of whiskey
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Mandy21

« Reply #72 on: April 04, 2010, 11:37:58 pm »
and the wristwatches
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2010, 01:57:34 pm »
It's uncanny how many similarities there are between BBM and Local Hero!!

Offline Mandy21

« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2010, 02:30:18 pm »
and the soft rolling green hills
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Mandy21

« Reply #75 on: April 05, 2010, 02:31:37 pm »
and the nosy boss approaching stealthily
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Mandy21

« Reply #76 on: April 05, 2010, 02:33:11 pm »
and the guys' reaction to the motorcycle buzzing by is just like Jack's reaction when he's picking up Lureen's hat and has to jump out of the way of the oncoming horse
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2010, 11:38:14 pm »
I was wondering when I had seen that scene before...thank you, Mandy!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #78 on: April 13, 2010, 11:42:08 pm »

The Hustler (haven't seen it)
The Color of Money (seen it, but decades ago)
The Verdict (ditto)
Vertigo (never seen this!)
The Conversation (nor this!)
Mr. Mom (seen it, and not sure it will hold up, but one of my sons mentioned it recently and I'm humoring him).

Reviews, please!!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #79 on: April 14, 2010, 10:07:15 am »
Reviews, please!!

Gulp. I've hesitated to post reviews, because I'm afraid my opinions will be controversial. So far, I haven't liked any of them, even the iconic classic beloved titles.

I fell asleep during Mr. Mom and The Color of Money. I'm going to give the latter another shot, but my 14-year-old didn't like Mr. Mom, and I'm going to take his word for it.

What's worse, I (mostly) stayed awake for Vertigo and The Conversation, but disliked them! I'm sorry, you legions of fans of both! I can't explain it. Maybe it's just me. I feel like someone dismissing Shakespeare as kind of a hack. I thought Vertigo was kind of slow-moving, and I hated the ending. And The Conversation I just couldn't get into at all.

Still waiting for verdicts on The Verdict and The Hustler, and a second try for Money.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #80 on: April 20, 2010, 11:41:20 pm »
I'm not a fan of any of those movies, so no offense taken! Now, I couldn't talk you into seeing a little-known film called Local Hero, could I??   ::)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #81 on: June 21, 2010, 02:44:02 pm »
Here's one that's never gonna grow old, or stale, or whatever: To Kill a Mockingbird. Saw it again last night on Turner Classics, and it just gets better 'n' better each time I see it.

Atticus Finch has got to have been the greatest role of Gregory Peck's distinguished career.

Offline Mandy21

« Reply #82 on: June 21, 2010, 06:05:31 pm »
I'd agree on that one, Jeff.  A single dad was pretty much unbeknownst at that time, which made him appear all the braver and wiser.  Plus he was so dad-gummed tall, how could you not respect him??
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #83 on: June 21, 2010, 06:08:33 pm »
I'd agree on that one, Jeff.  A single dad was pretty much unbeknownst at that time, which made him appear all the braver and wiser.  Plus he was so dad-gummed tall, how could you not respect him??

Maybe eventually Atticus married that nice young lady who lived across the street. Jem and Scout needed a mother.  :)

Offline zephaniah

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #84 on: June 22, 2010, 01:50:42 pm »
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - the beastly kids get their just desserts...   :D , and love wins!!!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #85 on: June 22, 2010, 02:26:38 pm »
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - the beastly kids get their just desserts...   :D , and love wins!!!

No offense, but it's actually "just deserts." OTOH, "just desserts" (especially if they involve chocolate) may be appropriate for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.  :)

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/just_deserts

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #86 on: June 26, 2010, 09:26:36 pm »
Even as I type this I am watching The Magnificent Seven on AMC. Truly a great Western, released 50 years ago this year. (Fifty years?  :o )

And Elmer Bernstein's theme for the film is also truly one of the great movie themes.  :)

Offline zephaniah

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #87 on: July 12, 2010, 03:25:42 pm »
No offense, but it's actually "just deserts." OTOH, "just desserts" (especially if they involve chocolate) may be appropriate for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.  :)

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/just_deserts

The pun was intended, but 'deserts' would a been good enough for the little bahstids darlins...

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #88 on: July 12, 2010, 04:01:27 pm »
I'm not a fan of any of those movies, so no offense taken! Now, I couldn't talk you into seeing a little-known film called Local Hero, could I??   ::)
Burt Lancaster? great movie if that is the one I am thinking of.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #89 on: July 12, 2010, 09:30:42 pm »
Yup, one of his last movies.  :D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #90 on: September 04, 2010, 11:15:26 am »
The first major film by Robert Altman, M*A*S*H, is having a revival this summer for the 40th anniversary of its premiere. It's well worth seeing. One of the first episodic, ensemble films, it is noted for its eclectic soundtrack and sound effects. Donald Sutherland, Elliott Gould, and Sally Kellerman star, back when they were unknowns. Also a good example of the wartime black comedy that became so popular.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #91 on: September 04, 2010, 11:53:57 am »
Donald Sutherland, Elliott Gould, and Sally Kellerman star, back when they were unknowns.

While Donald Sutherland and Elliott Gould are still busily working, Sally Kellerman seems to have gone back to being an unknown.  :-\

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #92 on: September 04, 2010, 12:19:38 pm »
While Donald Sutherland and Elliott Gould are still busily working, Sally Kellerman seems to have gone back to being an unknown.  :-\

That's because she's not young anymore.  >:(

And I always found the movie MASH very misogynistic, what with what they did to Houlihan and why and how they treated nurses who weren't currently having sex with them.

"Find me a nurse who won't get her tits in my way."

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #93 on: September 04, 2010, 12:48:54 pm »
That's because she's not young anymore.  >:(

Exactly.

And I always found the movie MASH very misogynistic,

I agree.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #94 on: October 05, 2010, 12:08:32 pm »
Speaking of misogynistic, I saw The Social Network yesterday. Only one seemingly intelligent woman in it...played by our friend Rooney Mara!

But that's not a show from our past. So, to stay on topic, I settled down to enjoy a Sherlock Holmes segment on PBS last Sunday. To my delight, the damsel in distress was played by the lovely and eloquent Jenny Seagrove, none other than Marina from, you guessed it, Local Hero!!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #95 on: October 05, 2010, 12:27:08 pm »
But that's not a show from our past. So, to stay on topic, I settled down to enjoy a Sherlock Holmes segment on PBS last Sunday. To my delight, the damsel in distress was played by the lovely and eloquent Jenny Seagrove, none other than Marina from, you guessed it, Local Hero!!

What was the episode?

And how did I know that somehow your post would be about Local Hero?  ;D

Offline Mandy21

« Reply #96 on: October 05, 2010, 01:53:56 pm »
And how did I know that somehow your post would be about Local Hero?  ;D

Yes, what ARE the odds 
??? ??? ???
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #97 on: October 05, 2010, 02:34:28 pm »
You guys know me so well!! The episode was "The Sign of Four," a rather famous case.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #98 on: October 05, 2010, 03:12:28 pm »
You guys know me so well!! The episode was "The Sign of Four," a rather famous case.

Then she must have been Mary Morstan, the future Mrs. John Watson.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #99 on: October 05, 2010, 03:54:33 pm »
Movies from the past, huh?

Well, it's October now, which means many many reruns of horror movies of the past.

;D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #100 on: October 05, 2010, 04:20:55 pm »
Good point, Chuck. There are LOTS of great thrillers in our pasts, let's dredge some up from the depths of our subconscious!

Then she must have been Mary Morstan, the future Mrs. John Watson.

Oooh, that's exciting! I must plan to catch up on more episodes!! Basil Rathbones as SH is way more convincing than Robert Downey Jr was, but I'd trade in the frumpy Dr. Watson for Jude Law. Or I'd step into the role myself, to share the screen with the lovely Jenny Seagrove!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #101 on: October 05, 2010, 06:30:48 pm »
Good point, Chuck. There are LOTS of great thrillers in our pasts, let's dredge some up from the depths of our subconscious!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #102 on: October 05, 2010, 06:32:32 pm »

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #103 on: October 05, 2010, 06:33:35 pm »

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #104 on: October 05, 2010, 06:34:47 pm »

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #105 on: October 05, 2010, 06:36:18 pm »

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #106 on: October 05, 2010, 06:38:27 pm »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #107 on: February 07, 2011, 10:57:15 pm »
Speaking of misogynistic, I saw The Social Network yesterday. Only one seemingly intelligent woman in it...played by our friend Rooney Mara!

Apparently we don't have a thread devoted to The Social Network here. C'mon people! Are we not a board dedicated to the very best in cinema? Anyway, one of the best scenes in TSN, in my opinion, was the one where the clueless guy joins the others after the lecture and says "Who did that guy think he was, Bill Gates?" and Jesse, as the main character says "That was Bill Gates."

I remember when I was working at a DOE lab in the early 1990s and my cubicle mate posted on the door an editorial by Bill Gates entitled "Content is King". I was flattered, since I was a lowly SME (subject matter expert) and he was a webmaster.

Offline zephaniah

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #108 on: February 08, 2011, 01:44:58 pm »
Recently bought - dirt cheap - 'Stormy Weather" starring Lena Horne and Bill Robinson, with Cab Calloway and Fats Waller, and a whole nuther buch of other really talented musicians.  I was all set to fast forward to the tunes I knew, but found enough of interest that I watched the whole thing through twice.  The story is not the strong point, but the performances are incredible.  Other than the title tune, one of my favs was "Ain't Misbehavin," written  and performed by Fats Waller - having heard this most often recorded and played live as a rather moderately slow tune that almost promises fidelity, I was really surprised at Mr. Waller's delivery - he plays it fast and mischeivously - savin' my love for you (nodding in one direction) and you (another direction), and you, and you, all while wearing a smugly sastisfied smile!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #109 on: June 19, 2013, 12:18:16 pm »
...I couldn't talk you into seeing a little-known film called Local Hero, could I??   ::)

Watched my second favorite movie last night, with a new friend and, guess what...he liked it!!!  :)

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #110 on: June 19, 2013, 02:48:40 pm »
I'm not surprised, Lee. It's a wonderful movie!

I haven't seen it in many years, but I know I loved it back in the day.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre