Author Topic: Peeks, Glances, Gazes and the whole eye-contact thingie  (Read 6895 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: Peeks, Glances, Gazes and the whole eye-contact thingie
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 02:44:57 pm »
Completely agreed with everything you said. I think Ennis not only avoids eye-contact in this scene, but towards the end, when he actually says goodbye (second pic), it's similar to TS1: look, look away quickly, look again, and so on.

Yep, count me in with total agreement.  Also, look at Alma.  She is not only looking directly at him, her expression is saying - "Look at me, dammit!" And, of course, the way she has her arms folded says a lot, too.  She's already closing up, protecting herself.  The level of acting in the movie never ceases to amaze me! 

Thanks, Milli and Chrissi.  :)
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Peeks, Glances, Gazes and the whole eye-contact thingie
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 02:56:27 pm »

Hey Chrissi, Marie.... Yeah, the morning-after-reunion scene is one of my favorites because it is so revealing in so many ways.

You can truly sense the repressed anger, confusion, tension and hurt in Alma's facial expressions; her body language says it all.
Even Alma Jr can feel that her daddy is in a hurry to leave.  She clings to her mother after Ennis places her in Alma's arms.
And Ennis - the minute he walks through the door, he is trying to get out of there as quickly as possible.   
Even though he is shrouded in this crackling, nervous, excited energy, you kinda sense that his demeanor is tinged with some guilt. 
I am sure he felt a mixture of emotions but the one that overruled all the others was the fact that he knew he was going to be spending 2 or 3 whole days with the one person on earth that he connected the most with... That is enough to override any feelings of guilt he might've had, I'm sure..

Gosh, it's been weeks since my last BBM viewing.  Gotta bring out the dvd one of these nights.