Author Topic: Signature Indiana Dish Named "World's Spicest Food"  (Read 7246 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Signature Indiana Dish Named "World's Spicest Food"
« on: June 09, 2009, 07:52:40 pm »
St. Elmo's is a wonderful restaurant. And I've had the shrimp cocktail. It's gooooood! :D

INDIANAPOLIS — Local restaurant landmark, St. Elmo Steak House is adding to its international recognition by winning the world’s spiciest food award from well-known food critic and blogger, Alison Stein Wellner, (www.worldhum.com) who partnered with television’s popular Travel Channel on the quest.

“I dropped my cutlery as a sensation that I can only describe as what electrocution must feel like, shot down my throat and then up my nose, forking its way into my brain My hands started to rise and—yes!—I had the urge to clap my hands on my skull to keep the top from blowing off.” she added.

On a quest to find the world’s spiciest food, Stein Wellner traveled to all regions of the world to find the top five spiciest food and here is the list, in decreasing order of spiciness:

1. St. Elmo Steak House's Shrimp Cocktail, Indianapolis 2. Red Chilies in Copán Ruinas, Honduras 3. Spiced Sardines in Kumarakom, India 4. Chicken Curry in Mumbai, India 5. Currywurst in Frankfurt, Germany

“I have to admit, I was puzzled by Indianapolis’ come-from-nowhere triumph in the blow-the-top-of -my-head-off quest,” Stein Wellner states. “I mean, really, Indianapolis and not India, not China, Honduras, Louisiana or Tennessee? “

Since 1902, St. Elmo Steak House has offered guests perfectly aged steaks, tender pork chops, superb guest service and — its notorious shrimp cocktail. Like many, first-time, unsuspecting guests who order St. Elmo’s signature shrimp cocktail, the “head rush” of horseradish is an unforgettable experience.

“Every day, 20 pounds of the pungent root is grated to make the culinary concoction,” said Craig Huse, co-proprietor, St. Elmo Steak House. “It’s a powerful addition to our sauce and the menu.”

The Travel Channel may feature the firecracker-hot shrimp cocktail as part of a show on the world’s most potent epicurean delights. Full text of the Stein Wellner article can be read at www.worldhum.com.

St. Elmo is an independent restaurant only found in Indianapolis and is only open for dinner. Guests are encouraged to make reservations prior to visiting the restaurant – but walk-ins are also welcome. To make a reservation, call 317.635.0636 or visit www.stelmos.com.

http://www.insideindianabusiness.com/newsitem.asp?id=36040

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

pnwDUDE

Re: Signature Indiana Dish Named "World's Spicest Food"
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 09:05:21 pm »
David, pick me up at the airport! I am a conasewer conasuer connesuier big fan of hot, and horseradish is at the top of my list. Those shrimp sound great.

Brad