Author Topic: The current popularity of vampires  (Read 28384 times)

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: The current popularity of vampires
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2009, 08:11:30 pm »
I'm not sure I agree with this (badly written & old) essay but she makes some interesting points directly related to the topic.

MSU Scholar: Popularity of Vampires Reveals Cultural Values
by Evelyn Boswell

5/16/01 BOZEMAN -- Enjoy vampire books and movies? Wear plastic teeth for Halloween?

Go ahead. But when you're done, look deeper. The popularity of vampires reveals something important about our culture, says Gwendolyn Morgan, an English professor at Montana State University-Bozeman. It shows that people still hunger for immortality even though they live in an atheistic age. It indicates that people want to avoid responsibility for their actions.

"If this is true (and I can see why she thinks so), then the academic tendency to regard all this as merely ephemeral and beneath one's dignity is seriously mistaken," says Tom Shippey of Saint Louis University. Shippey co-edited a book on "Medievalism in the Modern World." It includes a chapter Morgan wrote on immortals in popular fiction.

Vampires made their first appearance in literature around 2000 B.C. in Egypt. They were fertility figures, says Morgan, whose course on vampires is one of three she rotates under the general heading of "Popular literature." As Christianity developed, vampires quickly became associated with the devil and the undead. They stole souls. They were "horrible in the worst ways. They were truly miserable, repulsive things."

That image started changing in the late 1960s, however.

"All of a sudden, we made heroes of them," Morgan said.

To find out why, Morgan started studying vampire literature, television shows and movies. She discovered that the switch seems related to the sexual revolution and an increasingly godless society.

"I think it's a shirking of responsibility. I think it's a substitute for religion. It's vastly popular because it's sexy," Morgan said of the genre.

The image of vampires started to change with the book "Dracula" by Bram Stoker, Morgan said. It was enhanced in novels by Anne Rice and Michael Romkey, movies like the Highlander trilogy and television shows like "Forever Knight."

"All such tales involve the assumption that these powerful beings create our greatest art, pioneer our greatest medical and social advances, articulate our greatest scientific discoveries," Morgan wrote in Shippey's book. "On the negative side, they perpetrate the greatest oppressions and wholesale slaughters of humanity and engineer economic disasters."

Vampire novels have a common theme--that everything in history happened because of vampires, Morgan explained. That includes the Holocaust, scientific discoveries and medical breakthroughs. Likewise, all the major players (like Hitler, Stalin and Thomas Jefferson) in the novels were either good or bad vampires.

Since ordinary people lack the enhanced intelligence and abilities of vampires, the novels give the message that they shouldn't feel remorse or take responsibility for any historical tragedies. Neither can they be expected to make important contributions to society.

"It shows up again and again in these novels," Morgan said. "It's the same kind of motif. Vampires and other immortals become a way ... of saying, ‘I can't do anything. I'm not responsible. It's not my fault.'"

Morgan is internationally known for researching medieval ballads and translating Old English poetry. She continues that work and was recently honored with the prestigious Charles and Nora L. Wiley Faculty Award for Meritorious Research and Creativity from MSU. But she added vampires to her plate after noticing how popular they had become in the past 20 to 25 years. Ballads were part of the popular culture in the 14th through 16th centuries.

"Everything I do is about popular culture," Morgan said.

Morgan treats herself by reading Stoker's "Dracula." "Interview with a Vampire" is her favorite vampire movie. Most other novels and movies don't measure up, she said, but "I'm interested in voices of the whole culture, not just the intellectual or cultural elite."

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2009, 08:57:23 pm »
Since ordinary people lack the enhanced intelligence and abilities of vampires, the novels give the message that they shouldn't feel remorse or take responsibility for any historical tragedies. Neither can they be expected to make important contributions to society.

I remember this discussion in one of Anne Rice's book.  I think it was Queen of the Damned.  The vampires felt they had the right to exist as well.  If they were one step up the food chain from humans, was that their fault?  And also, the discussion went on that the world was mostly populated by humans, so it was their world and the vampires shouldn't interfere.

So it wasn't a matter of taking no responsibility for their actions or not contributing to society but that it wasn't their society to influence.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2009, 09:03:08 pm »
Vampire novels have a common theme--that everything in history happened because of vampires, Morgan explained. That includes the Holocaust, scientific discoveries and medical breakthroughs. Likewise, all the major players (like Hitler, Stalin and Thomas Jefferson) in the novels were either good or bad vampires.

They certainly followed along in that vein in Moonlight, where in one episode the French Revolution was depicted as a "Holocaust of vampires."  :P
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline oilgun

Downey Jr. to Take on Lestat?
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2009, 07:00:56 pm »
http://www.advocate.com/news_detail_ektid105812.asp

August 17, 2009
Downey Jr. to Take on Lestat?

With blood-thirsty vampires capturing the imagination of Hollywood and mainstream America alike, it’s no surprise that Oscar-nominated actor Robert Downey Jr. is reportedly in talks with Universal Pictures to play the polyamorous vampire Lestat de Lioncourt in a new film based on Anne Rice’s popular trilogy of novels The Vampire Chronicles. 

If the rumors turn out to be true, Downey would be the third actor to take on the role of the bisexual bloodsucker Lestat, which was previously and most famously portrayed by Tom Cruise (initially against Rice’s wishes) in Neil Jordan's 1994 film Interview With the Vampire.

British actor Stuart Townsend also sank his teeth into the character in 2002’s Queen of the Damned, directed by Michael Rymer.

In recent years, Downey has proved to be one of Hollywood’s most versatile actors, bouncing from dramas (The Soloist) to comedies (Tropic Thunder) to action/adventure vehicles (Iron Man) with relative ease, earning critical raves at every turn. The actor next appears in Guy Ritchie’s upcoming Sherlock Holmes, in which the sexually ambiguous bromance between the fictional detective and his famous sidekick Watson (Jude Law) is explored.

retropian

« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2009, 08:44:30 am »
I like RDJr alot, but he's too old to play Lestat! So was Tom Cruise when he played him back in '94 (god I'm old). Wasn't Lestat about 20 or so when he was made a VP? Wasn't he a fey young thing? I had read somewhere that Anne Rice modeled Lestat on David Bowie.

didn't Lestat become a Rock Star in the novel? I hav'nt read it in years. But I think Anne Rice had this in mind.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD3d_GHlYAA[/youtube]
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 11:09:12 am by retropian »

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2009, 12:57:31 pm »
Robert Downey, Jr. as Lestat?  :P

He can certainly be fey, but he doesn't come across as high class nor charismatic, IMO as Lestat is supposed to be.

Is there no good blond 20 something actor they can find for this part?

Anne Rice said she imagined Rutger Hauer in his good years as Lestat, but he was too old at the time to play the part.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2009, 01:11:19 pm »
Robert Downey, Jr. as Lestat?  :P

He can certainly be fey, but he doesn't come across as high class nor charismatic, IMO as Lestat is supposed to be.

Is there no good blond 20 something actor they can find for this part?

Give Zac Efron a blond dye-job.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2009, 01:14:18 pm »
Give Zac Efron a blond dye-job.  ;D

:laugh:  I also thought of him, but he's a bit too young.

I thought Stuart Townsend a good replacement, but now he's too old.

Offline oilgun

« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2009, 04:50:27 pm »
I like RDJr alot, but he's too old to play Lestat! So was Tom Cruise when he played him back in '94 (god I'm old). Wasn't Lestat about 20 or so when he was made a VP? Wasn't he a fey young thing? I had read somewhere that Anne Rice modeled Lestat on David Bowie.

didn't Lestat become a Rock Star in the novel? I hav'nt read it in years. But I think Anne Rice had this in mind.

I think Robert Downey Jr. is too old as well.  As much as i like him I don't think he should be in EVERY movie, lol!

I have the perfect actor for the part of Lestat, he's 25, sexy & French: Gaspard Ulliel
He's beautiful but he also has an edge which was in evidence when he played the young Hannibal Lector (Hannibal Rising)

He looks like a cross between Channing Tatum and Gael Garcia Bernal?

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2009, 05:48:23 pm »
I think Robert Downey Jr. is too old as well.  As much as i like him I don't think he should be in EVERY movie, lol!

I have the perfect actor for the part of Lestat, he's 25, sexy & French: Gaspard Ulliel
He's beautiful but he also has an edge which was in evidence when he played the young Hannibal Lector (Hannibal Rising)

He looks like a cross between Channing Tatum and Gael Garcia Bernal?

Heh.  I was about to comment that Gaspard looks too Gallic to play Lestat, but Lestat was French, wasn't he?