Author Topic: If I Asked by Midwest-girl  (Read 51944 times)

Offline littleguitar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • She was always a lonely child...
If I Asked by Midwest-girl
« on: August 03, 2006, 10:00:05 pm »
I wanted to call attention to this fan fic that I've been reading and enjoying for a little while now.  It's an AU called If I Asked.  It explores what would have happened if Jack hadn't taken no for an answer to that sweet life he wanted from Ennis when after the reunion he makes the decision to stay in Riverton and try and get Ennis to come around.  So far it's 12 chapters (the 12th posted tonight).  They can be found here

http://midwest-girl.livejournal.com/

For updates, check brokebackslash at livejournal

Enjoy!!  :)
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
Re: If I Asked by Midwest-girl
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 11:26:14 pm »
Hi there,

It finished tonight.  What did you think?

Kelly
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 12:59:58 am »
I just realized it was the last chapter, I wasn't expecting that at all!

Overall I really enjoyed it, though I do think the end came a bit quickly... she tried to force a lot into that last chapter that I don't think the story was quite ready for yet... but overall I liked it.  It's been one of my favorite fics so far.

What did you think?
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

mvansand76

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 06:54:39 am »
Oh no, 12 is the last chapter?  :'( :'( :'(
That makes me really sad, I really liked this!

No spoilers please, I am going to read this tonight!

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 07:48:09 pm »
I just realized it was the last chapter, I wasn't expecting that at all!

Overall I really enjoyed it, though I do think the end came a bit quickly... she tried to force a lot into that last chapter that I don't think the story was quite ready for yet... but overall I liked it.  It's been one of my favorite fics so far.

What did you think?
SPOILER
Overall, I really liked it.  It was very much a Jack story, imo.  I actually found Ennis too good to be true in the first part of chapter 11.  But I really enjoyed the story overall.  I thought it was realistic (but sad) how Ennis turned the light on and off in 'his' room every night, and they didn't always go out in public together.  I'd have to go back and reread in entirety to really decide whether it ended abruptly.
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 08:28:20 pm »
SPOILER
Overall, I really liked it.  It was very much a Jack story, imo.  I actually found Ennis too good to be true in the first part of chapter 11.  But I really enjoyed the story overall.  I thought it was realistic (but sad) how Ennis turned the light on and off in 'his' room every night, and they didn't always go out in public together.  I'd have to go back and reread in entirety to really decide whether it ended abruptly.

Yeah I'm going to have to go back and re read it as well, it's really hard when you are only reading one chapter every week to 2 weeks to get the feel for the story as a whole.  I also thought that little touch was sad and realistic... I also love at the beginning the way Jack says goodbye to Bobby and the way it makes him feel, I thought that was realistic as well.

Offline opinionista

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2006, 03:50:18 pm »
I don't mean to be disrespectful or anything but I had trouble reading this story, and had to stop. The idea is good but the way is written makes it hard for me to understand. Also there are a few passages that didn't make much sense, and the dialogue needs some work. Sometimes it doesn't sound real.  Maybe it is me, that I'm not a English native but I wish the author had used Proulx short story as a reference to describe their accents, and ways of speaking. Not sure if you get my meaning. I apologize if I offend anyone with these remarks. Send me a PM if you are offended, and I delete it.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2006, 04:24:21 pm »
Hi N,

Is there a specific part you had trouble with, maybe I can help? (you can pm me if you want.) 
I didn't really have any trouble at all.  I kinda liked that it was written differently than Proulx's style.  I think this was very much a Jack story, compared to the original which was basically an Ennis story.  It was nice to know exactly what was going on in Jack's head for a change, rather than having to wonder and sort out the ambiguity.

=)
Kelly

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2006, 11:08:42 am »
Hi N,

Is there a specific part you had trouble with, maybe I can help? (you can pm me if you want.) 
I didn't really have any trouble at all.  I kinda liked that it was written differently than Proulx's style.  I think this was very much a Jack story, compared to the original which was basically an Ennis story.  It was nice to know exactly what was going on in Jack's head for a change, rather than having to wonder and sort out the ambiguity.

=)
Kelly

I agree, I actually found the dialogue realistic and enjoyed the fact that it was written differently than Proulx for the same reason.  I may be one of the few on the board who think this, but I don't think that Annie Proulx is that amazing of a writer... I had read her short story and liked the story but hated the writing, if it weren't for the film, I probably never would have thought twice about Brokeback Mountain... That isn't to say that I think Midwest-girl's writing is better than Proulx's, just that I don't mind that she broke away from her style.

And don't worry, you didn't offend anyone! You never have to worry about that around here (I have a feeling I'm going to get more heat for what I just said about Annie anyway  ;) )

mvansand76

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2006, 11:15:18 am »
I have to agree, this was actually one of the few fanfiction stories in which I found the dialogue completely realistic, maybe not entirely in the context of Annie Proulx' way of writing, but you should not compare when reading fanfiction. I was sad that it was the last chapter, but I guess she could have gone on and on with this story, and am glad she didn't.

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2006, 04:54:45 am »
**slight spoilers**

I've read next to none BBM fanfics because I think the original story and film just don't invite fics. In a way the originals say it all and so perfectly. But I've had a huge, big craving for seeing Jack and Ennis find a happy ending so I've been following a couple of the highly recommended fics that give them that. (Jenna's "Somebody New" and Midwest_girl's "If I asked" among them.)

I can truthfully say that "If I asked" is the best BBM fic I've ever read. It hooked me completely.

Her unique and consistent writing style, her talented and fitting use of imagery, the insightful characterization of both her Jack and her Ennis, the happy ups and very painful downs of the relationship development, the joy and despair and fears.......the way she makes their love and passion virtually blaze from the page....... the smokin' hot sex. ......the wives! I liked the sympathetic and largely compassionate way she portrayed Alma and especially Lureen - Lureen close to how I see her myself. I loved the way she got across time and again that there are no easy solutions, no way that J&E being together after they've both married won't hurt people: Themselves, (ex-)wives and kids - and they have to live with that knowledge and with the consequences. The IMO relatively realistic portrayal of how J&E live at the end - having to take every care to keep their little bubble of happiness invisible, shielded from everyone. The OCs including the Summers are good and interesting or at least not detracting from the story. And on and on and on...

Anyway, some fics get to you and some don't. By the time I got as far as reading - "Every muscle, every fiber, every bone in Jack’s body screaming out with joy. Emotions Jack’d been sitting on for weeks, holding down tight with both hands and all his will, flooding out." - I had tears of happiness in my own eyes.

I know Amy (Midwest girl) is active over at the DC board. If she ever pops in here to read this thread, I'd like to say: Thank you, Amy.  :-*

« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 06:05:53 am by Mikaela »

mvansand76

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2006, 07:07:30 am »
**slight spoilers**

I can truthfully say that "If I asked" is the best BBM fic I've ever read. It hooked me completely.

God, yes, I completely agree with you, I haven't read many fanfics either, and there are a few that I really like, but this one also hooked me completely. It is often the dialogue that does it for me and in this story, it is so powerful, I love the dialogue in the last chapter in the alley behind the diner, Jack is so fed up and willing to risk it all to let Ennis see that they are meant to be together, I was on the edge of my seat!

Amy, if you read this, please continue writing!  ;)

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2006, 09:41:50 am »
God, yes, I completely agree with you, I haven't read many fanfics either, and there are a few that I really like, but this one also hooked me completely. It is often the dialogue that does it for me and in this story, it is so powerful, I love the dialogue in the last chapter in the alley behind the diner, Jack is so fed up and willing to risk it all to let Ennis see that they are meant to be together, I was on the edge of my seat!

Amy, if you read this, please continue writing!  ;)

I agree as well! The only one I would put next to it is Human Interest.  The dialogue is absolutely a seller for me.  From the very first chapter when I saw how well she had the dialogue down I was hooked.

*Slight SPOILER*

I also loved the scene where Jack says good bye to Bobby.  I think, because of the movie version of Bobby maybe, that a lot of us are harsh on Bobby.  We talk a lot about how much Ennis loved his girls and say very little about the way Jack loved Bobby.  Even though Jack says he never wanted a kid, I find it hard to believe that he wouldn't love Bobby and I really like it when stories explore the relationship Jack might have had with him.

I also wanted to say that I didn't have permission from Amy to post this here... I hope she doesn't mind!

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2006, 11:46:42 pm »
Yes, I never read fanfic until Brokeback, and I found the overly-twangy dialogue in most fanfics badly done, distracting and annoying.  But Midwest-girl did it perfectly IMO.

What's the DC board ??

mvansand76

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2006, 07:22:47 am »

What's the DC board ??

The Dave Cullen message board, www.davecullen.com!

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2006, 07:51:23 pm »
DC = Dave Cullen!!  DUH.   :P  Sorry — I should have known this!  (I even wrote Dave a fan email several months ago.)

And I live in the Denver area too.  I'll have to check that out again . . .  thanks Mvansand.

mvansand76

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2006, 11:14:17 am »
DC = Dave Cullen!!  DUH.   :P  Sorry — I should have known this!  (I even wrote Dave a fan email several months ago.)

And I live in the Denver area too.  I'll have to check that out again . . .  thanks Mvansand.

No problem!  ;D ;)

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2006, 05:02:52 pm »
I just finished it and was quite impressed by the writing style. I, too, am distracted by the "accent" style of many fan fic stories because they are inconsistent, often hard to understand, not accurate and sometimes just downright stupid. Amy has done the best job of it that I've seen. The combo of If I Asked and Somebody New woud make the perfect man for me.  ;D

O0

Heathen

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2006, 01:26:21 pm »
The combo of If I Asked and Somebody New woud make the perfect man for me. 

You and me both Ruby!

I love the Jack of Somebody New... there is just something about him, it's like he's the Jack from the movie but he's regained his confidence and become much more comfortable with who he is.  That confidence is very sexy.  And I love that she keeps his moustache  ;)

mvansand76

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2006, 03:08:27 pm »
You and me both Ruby!

I love the Jack of Somebody New... there is just something about him, it's like he's the Jack from the movie but he's regained his confidence and become much more comfortable with who he is.  That confidence is very sexy.  And I love that she keeps his moustache  ;)

SPOILERS-------------

I agree, that especially showed in the last chapter where he is talking to Ennis in the alley and kicks the wall and shouts No! when Ennis offers to try the fishing trips again. I really felt that and only the fact that I was on a train prevented me from shouting YEEEAAAAH! That was the best dialogue in the whole story. He is a slightly more confident and fearless Jack and I liked that a lot.

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2006, 04:58:47 pm »

"If I Asked"  by midwest_girl

Hello fellow fanfic readers:

Here is a new (one month ago) fanfic that I uneathed a couple of days ago, and it is truly a treasure of J & E.  :D   It has grabbed one of the top spots on my Gold Standard List of BBM fanfic.

This author has a wonderful way with words.  It is AU, and it starts at the point right after our boys have the Reunion.  That is all I'm gonna say!

This link is to the LiveJournal page of the author midwest_girl.  Her Journal is in reverse order, and every post is all on the one page, so go all the way to the bottom of the page, and then look for Chapter 1 of "If I Asked" (started on June 9th, completed on Aug. 3rd).  There are 12 Chapters, and the story is complete.  Even though it is all on one page, it is deliciously long and wonderful.   :-*

Enjoy!   :D ;D
Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."

mvansand76

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2006, 05:14:06 pm »
Hiya, a real treasure this story, I agree!  There is already a thread on here that is focused on IIA:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=3672.0

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2006, 05:26:00 pm »
Thanks mvansand76,

I have merged these threads.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2006, 04:55:54 pm »
Hi folks!

Has anyone been reading Amy's latest story, Shades of Grey?

She has posted 1 chapter so far and according to her journal she won't be able to post for a while but on the DC boards she promised to update again some time next week.

I think it's brilliant, exciting and very different. Ennis is a Special Agent (!) and Jack is the bad boy criminal (!) working for one of the Columbian Drug Kartels!!! I know it sounds far out but she's using her own experience as a criminal defense lawyer and it's written so incredibly well. She has me totally hooked!

:)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2006, 08:45:52 pm »
Amy (midwest_girl) just joined here as a member the other day. Hopefully she'll drop by this thread, see people are excited about her stories and get involved in the conversation. Welcome in advance!

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2006, 08:49:30 pm »
Amy (midwest_girl) just joined here as a member the other day. Hopefully she'll drop by this thread, see people are excited about her stories and get involved in the conversation. Welcome in advance!

Leslie

Oh, I really hope she'll drop by! That would be so nice.  :)

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2006, 11:33:14 pm »

Leslie

I saw her name up on the new members and got really excited... I hoped she would find this thread and comment.  :)

midwest-girl

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2006, 09:47:35 pm »
Hi, guys!  I just discovered this place and this thread the other day.  Thank you all so much for your kind words about IIA.  It means so much to me to know that you all enjoyed the story.  And please feel free to voice your criticisms of my story as well (not that you wouldn't), but I don't want you to feel censored or anything just because I'm around!  Anyway, I just wanted to stop in and say hi and thank you!  Amy

mvansand76

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2006, 08:01:25 am »
Hi, guys!  I just discovered this place and this thread the other day.  Thank you all so much for your kind words about IIA.  It means so much to me to know that you all enjoyed the story.  And please feel free to voice your criticisms of my story as well (not that you wouldn't), but I don't want you to feel censored or anything just because I'm around!  Anyway, I just wanted to stop in and say hi and thank you!  Amy

You are a real celebrity Amy!  :)
Just wanted to say hi and welcome to bettermost, hope you enjoy your stay here! I loved IIA, I was actually sad to see it end, though, from a writer's point of view, I understand you had to wrap it! Well, anyways, welcome and good luck with your new story, I heard that you are writing a new one!

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2006, 04:27:36 pm »
You are a real celebrity Amy!  :)
Just wanted to say hi and welcome to bettermost, hope you enjoy your stay here! I loved IIA, I was actually sad to see it end, though, from a writer's point of view, I understand you had to wrap it! Well, anyways, welcome and good luck with your new story, I heard that you are writing a new one!

Ditto all of that! I'm really glad to see you around bettermost, Amy! I loved your story and can't wait for the new one. I hope you find our little community welcoming and share it with us!  ;D

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2006, 05:53:07 pm »
Amy! Lovely to see you here! "If I asked" has made me your delighted fangirl. Thank you for sharing IIA with us and best of luck with your future writing.  :)

(I know you've moved off into writing quite a different and AU take on J&E, and I'm sure that will be geat as well. Nevertheless, if you'd ever feel like writing a IIA sequel, I for one would be absolutely thrilled. And as far as I can judge, IIA lends itself better to a sequel than many other BBM fics, since I agree with Ennis that the invisible bubble the IIA boys are living in can't last. Sooner or later the gossip will be too persistent, too many people will know or suspect, Ennis's girls will hear nasty words and be teased by other kids - and what happens then? I've been speculating a bit about that, because IIA seems so real and your Jack and Ennis so alive that they sure invite readers' imaginations to continue their story! )

mvansand76

« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2006, 06:52:31 am »
Nevertheless, if you'd ever feel like writing a IIA sequel, I for one would be absolutely thrilled.

Oh yes!!!  :)

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2006, 03:42:57 am »
I have read chapter1; where is chapter 2? "brokebackslash" isn't exactly helpful!
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2006, 03:56:42 am »
I have read chapter1; where is chapter 2? "brokebackslash" isn't exactly helpful!

http://midwest-girl.livejournal.com/

JUlie, go to this webpage, they are all on one page, all on the same page.  Go to the bottom for Chapter 1, then scroll up for the rest of the chapters.

J

Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."

mvansand76

« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2007, 07:22:30 am »
Hi Midwest Amy,

I've read many fanfics now and I love em all, but I have to say that If I Asked, is my absolute favourite ... I love love love it!  I've printed it all off and filed it away so that I can enjoy it over and over again .... or I can just fast forward to the mirror scene  ;) (phew  :o )

You have a wonderful gift Amy, I'm so happy you decided to share it with the rest of us!

Susie

Hey Susie,

Amy has left Bettermost, but I will make sure she gets your message!

Hugs, Mel

mvansand76

« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2007, 07:54:00 am »
Awww  :'( .. why?  :-\

She has decided to move on and focus on her original novel!  :D

Have you already read her amazing story Shades of Grey?

mvansand76

« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2007, 11:56:08 am »
It's top of my list Mel ... I've already downloaded it for later! I can't wait to read it after all the wonderful things you've said about it!   She really is an amazing writer!

Havent' you written something Mel?  I'm sure someone mentioned it when I first joined Bettermost. I'd love to read it!

Susie

Oh you're gonna LOOOOOOVE it... Please let us know as soon as you finished it! I am so jealous of you that you are starting it now! Wish I could read ti for the first time again! This is one of my favorite stories together with IIA!

I have written and finished Right Where You Are (an AU) and I am writing two AU/AU's right now, called Liberation (WW2 setting) and Altitude (contemporary setting)!

Here's the link to my livejournal:

http://rightwhere-u-r.livejournal.com

Speak to you later, Susie! (I am in England now by the way, where are you exactly in the UK?)

:-* Mel
Hugs, Mel

mvansand76

« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2007, 02:56:36 am »
Gosh ... so much to read .. there's just never enough time .. never enough!  I can't wait to read some of your work Mel!!

Susie 

ps. Are you living here now, or just over for a holiday?  I'm from Robin Hood Country .... that sounds so romantic ... "Nottingham" doesn't sound nearly as glamorous!

I'm at my sister's now in Hertfordshire! I live in Holland normally, but I am here for a week and we're flying back to the Netherlands on Friday together!

I looooove Robin Hood and I was even thinking of a BBM/Robin Hood crossover for the fandomj! LOL! Can you imagine J&E steraling from the rich and giving to the poor?

LOL!

Hugs, Mel

retropian

« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2008, 10:24:36 pm »
I reread this story, finishing last night. I wanted to post a comment on her livejournal account but I guess she decided to remove her writings and close her account more than a year ago. :'( I wanted to ask her if she had plans for an epilogue. The story ends in November 1968 almost exactly 40 years ago now. I was wondering what she thought Jack and Ennis were up to now. Did Jack die in 1983 despite so tenaciously fighting for the sweet life with Ennis. Was that his fate? his 'time' no matter what course his life took? If so how did Ennis cope? How is he today. did he keep the Ranch? What happened to Ralph and Meredith? did Alma find happiness with Monroe and forgive Ennis? If Jack was not destined to die in 1983, how are he and Ennis doing now? They'd be in their mid sixties now. How would they be perceived in Riverton today? So many questions. I guess they seem real to me in a way.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2008, 01:21:21 pm »
I reread this story, finishing last night. I wanted to post a comment on her livejournal account but I guess she decided to remove her writings and close her account more than a year ago. :'( I wanted to ask her if she had plans for an epilogue. The story ends in November 1968 almost exactly 40 years ago now. I was wondering what she thought Jack and Ennis were up to now. Did Jack die in 1983 despite so tenaciously fighting for the sweet life with Ennis. Was that his fate? his 'time' no matter what course his life took? If so how did Ennis cope? How is he today. did he keep the Ranch? What happened to Ralph and Meredith? did Alma find happiness with Monroe and forgive Ennis? If Jack was not destined to die in 1983, how are he and Ennis doing now? They'd be in their mid sixties now. How would they be perceived in Riverton today? So many questions. I guess they seem real to me in a way.

Hi retropian,

Actually it was only last week that Amy (midwest-girl) took down her journal.  After "If I Asked" she wrote a an AU/AU entitled "Shades of Grey" and then about a year ago she began another AU/AU entitled "Turbulence."  After just a couple of chapters she informed her readers that she was sorry she wouldn't be finishing that story, b/c she had realized that writing fanfic was distracting her from writing an original novel she was putting together and that she would be putting all her future writing efforts into that.  Unfortunately, I think that leaves the possibility of a sequel to "If I Asked" virtually nil.  I agree that it is a beautifully written story - all her characters seem real to me, too.   :)

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

retropian

« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2008, 04:48:02 am »
Hi retropian,

Actually it was only last week that Amy (midwest-girl) took down her journal.  After "If I Asked" she wrote a an AU/AU entitled "Shades of Grey" and then about a year ago she began another AU/AU entitled "Turbulence."  After just a couple of chapters she informed her readers that she was sorry she wouldn't be finishing that story, b/c she had realized that writing fanfic was distracting her from writing an original novel she was putting together and that she would be putting all her future writing efforts into that.  Unfortunately, I think that leaves the possibility of a sequel to "If I Asked" virtually nil.  I agree that it is a beautifully written story - all her characters seem real to me, too.   :)

Marie

Is 'Shades of Grey" good? I loved 'Somebody New', think it's a great fanfic. Is 'Sades of Grey' comparable? Anybody have a copy they can email me?

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2008, 06:03:38 pm »
Is 'Shades of Grey" good? I loved 'Somebody New', think it's a great fanfic. Is 'Sades of Grey' comparable? Anybody have a copy they can email me?

"Shades of Grey" is an AU/AU in which Ennis is an FBI Special Agent and Jack is a drug dealer - it's superbly written, but very, very different from "Somebody New."  It is very gritty and at times extremely violent in keeping with the realism of her premise.  Here is the link to the thread where it was discussed if you want to know more about it - but beware if you don't want spoilers.  PM me if you want more info!   :) :

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,4825.0.html

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

retropian

« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2008, 07:18:27 pm »
"Shades of Grey" is an AU/AU in which Ennis is an FBI Special Agent and Jack is a drug dealer - it's superbly written, but very, very different from "Somebody New."  It is very gritty and at times extremely violent in keeping with the realism of her premise.  Here is the link to the thread where it was discussed if you want to know more about it - but beware if you don't want spoilers.  PM me if you want more info!   :) :

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,4825.0.html

Marie

I wasn't sure what au/au means but I just like stories where Jack and Ennis find a happy ending like "Somebody New" or "Dreaming" where Jack doesn't die and Ennis has some major realizations. I enjoyed "If I Asked", where the young Jack decides to pursue the cow&calf operation right after their reunion. I also like a story like "Ennis", which continues the story of Ennis life after the SS and film ending, where he finally finds happiness. Stories that create entirely new situations, like Ennis being an FBI agent and Jack a drug dealer don't hold much appeal for me. That's just my own personal preference.

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2008, 10:20:47 am »
I also like a story like "Ennis", which continues the story of Ennis life after the SS and film ending, where he finally finds happiness.

There are a couple of sub-genres that fit this category:

After!Jack = any stories that deal with Ennis' life after Jack's passing. Also known as Dead!Jack and Post-Canon
MovingOn!Ennis = After!Jack stories where Ennis finds another man to love

There are quite a few good After!Jack stories out there. Among my favorites are:

"Widower for One Year" by 271horses (unfinished)
http://community.livejournal.com/wranglers/531813.html#cutid1

"Mitch Drabbles" by grieving_pln
http://grieving-pln.livejournal.com/7218.html

"Gift of Exile" by talkstocoyotes (work in progress. Might become MO!Ennis)
http://talkstocoyotes.livejournal.com/392.html

There are only a few MO!Ennis stories that I have liked so far. The two stand-outs are:

"Riding Fence" by Lucian (removed because of  Cease & Desist letter from the BBM publishers. But I have a copy.)

"The Greatest Love"
http://community.livejournal.com/wranglers/940662.html#cutid1

and its sequel "Night Fire - The Last Ember" by cynical21
http://cynical21.livejournal.com/11231.html#cutid1

There is a rare pre-canon story by 271horses called "Roots" it is the life story of Rich & Earl. It is one of the best stories written in this fandom so far. http://271horses.livejournal.com/1913.html

The Slash links pages at the Dave Cullen Forum (http://davecullen.com) are a good place to find fics. Sometimes there is a review to go along with the fic.

Milo

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

retropian

« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2008, 10:18:01 pm »
There are a couple of sub-genres that fit this category:

After!Jack = any stories that deal with Ennis' life after Jack's passing. Also known as Dead!Jack and Post-Canon
MovingOn!Ennis = After!Jack stories where Ennis finds another man to love

There are quite a few good After!Jack stories out there. Among my favorites are:

"Widower for One Year" by 271horses (unfinished)
http://community.livejournal.com/wranglers/531813.html#cutid1

"Mitch Drabbles" by grieving_pln
http://grieving-pln.livejournal.com/7218.html

"Gift of Exile" by talkstocoyotes (work in progress. Might become MO!Ennis)
http://talkstocoyotes.livejournal.com/392.html

There are only a few MO!Ennis stories that I have liked so far. The two stand-outs are:

"Riding Fence" by Lucian (removed because of  Cease & Desist letter from the BBM publishers. But I have a copy.)

"The Greatest Love"
http://community.livejournal.com/wranglers/940662.html#cutid1

and its sequel "Night Fire - The Last Ember" by cynical21
http://cynical21.livejournal.com/11231.html#cutid1

There is a rare pre-canon story by 271horses called "Roots" it is the life story of Rich & Earl. It is one of the best stories written in this fandom so far. http://271horses.livejournal.com/1913.html

The Slash links pages at the Dave Cullen Forum (http://davecullen.com) are a good place to find fics. Sometimes there is a review to go along with the fic.

Milo

Thanks for the links. I've read a couple of Cynical21 works, but not "Night Fire - The Last Ember", so I'll check it out. I love and have returned to "Roots" by 271horses several times. It's the only Rich and Earl story I've read so far. I haven't read "Widower for One Year", so I'll be sure to read that one too. Thanks for your suggestions and thanks for clarifying some to the fanfic terminology!
Ian

Offline August7th

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2009, 11:52:23 am »
Does anyone have a copy of "If I Asked" that they would be willing to share? I've been trying to find copies of some of the "classic" BBM fan fiction that is no longer online and would love to try this one. I recently got a copy of "Somebody New" and thought it was great. Sounds like "If I Asked" is in the same vein. Thanks!!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2009, 04:44:01 pm »
Sure. PM me your email and I'll send it to you.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

retropian

« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2009, 06:23:22 pm »
Does anyone have a copy of "If I Asked" that they would be willing to share? I've been trying to find copies of some of the "classic" BBM fan fiction that is no longer online and would love to try this one. I recently got a copy of "Somebody New" and thought it was great. Sounds like "If I Asked" is in the same vein. Thanks!!

Which stories have you read so far? And what stories are you looking for? I'm sure we can get them to you. There are some good recommendations on this thread too.

Offline ewe26

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2010, 10:16:01 pm »

I was also hoping someone might have a copy of "If I asked" that they could share?  I am a very late newcomer and it sounds like this would be a great classic to read!  Thank you!!

lissa612

« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2010, 12:16:44 pm »

I was also hoping someone might have a copy of "If I asked" that they could share?  I am a very late newcomer and it sounds like this would be a great classic to read!  Thank you!!

Me too...any of the "classics" that are no longer available, really. I'm constantly reading and always desperatefor good material.