Author Topic: got laid off - HIRED!!!  (Read 24142 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
got laid off - HIRED!!!
« on: June 30, 2009, 01:02:47 pm »
after nearly 12 years at the salt mines (I thought slaves had to be sold.)  :P

Have become a casualty of the bad economic times and stupid upper management.

I am a statistic.

I will likely be disconnecting my internet services in a few weeks, so FYI in case I disappear.

Del
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 01:25:00 pm by delalluvia »

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
Re: got laid off
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 01:05:57 pm »
Shit, I'm so sorry to hear that, Del !

I've read posts you've made about your job, but I never put together what you do, exactly.  What is your line of work?

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 01:08:11 pm »
Crap, Del...I'm very sorry to hear that.  This economy *has* to turn around soon.

>:( >:( >:( >:(

I think if we took a survey, the number of us who have been unemployed/underemployed in the last year would be a definite majority.

:-\
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 01:14:48 pm »
Shit, I'm so sorry to hear that, Del !

I've read posts you've made about your job, but I never put together what you do, exactly.  What is your line of work?

I - used to - work at a law firm.  Don't recommend it.  Lawyers are cheap bastards.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 01:23:33 pm »
Aw shit! Sucks big time.
Sorry to hear Del. I hope you'll find something new (and better even!) soon.

{Del}

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 01:50:45 pm »
Damn, thats a shame del... You need to go look at this thread..

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,32133.0.html

you're not alone unfortunately.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 02:39:36 pm »
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that.  Unfortunately, it's something we hear far too often.  No such thing as job security anymore.  Best of luck to you!
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 03:00:19 pm »
I'm sorry Del! That's a real kick in the ass, isn't it? I know exactly what it feels like. I will keep my fingers crossed you find a new job very soon!
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 04:03:30 pm »
That´s too bad, Del. I hope that things will work out for you the best way possible.
 :-*
Hugs

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• Love is a force of nature
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 04:36:41 pm »

{{{{Del}}}}

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 04:42:25 pm »
Thanks guys.   :)

I'm trying to sort through my feelings right now.  Have sent out 3 resumes already, will sign my company's CYA separation agreement so I can get my severance pay. 

Not in any great condition to do any of the above, but it beats sitting around doing nothing, wondering how I'm going to pay for everything.

I'm thinking I'm anxious and extremely upset over losing the income, not my job.  I despised the company I worked for, but liked the people there for the most part.

So I'm not sure why I'm sitting here all teary-eyed.   I guess I'm upset about losing the money, more than anything else.

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 04:54:03 pm »
It can be a big trauma, just like the end of any kind of relationship.  You spent 2/3 of your waking hours in the same place, with the same people, on the same general endeavor.  And now you're suddenly outside it all.  Even if you had a lot of issues with the job, a layoff is still a loss.

Offline optom3

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 05:00:55 pm »
You certainly have my sympathy. I suspect if you did not see it coming it must have been one heck of a shock. There are lots of us in the same position and it sucks. I hope you have luck in your job hunt. :)

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2009, 06:03:42 pm »
You certainly have my sympathy. I suspect if you did not see it coming it must have been one heck of a shock. There are lots of us in the same position and it sucks. I hope you have luck in your job hunt. :)

Yeah, it pretty much came out of the blue.  There was not even a hint of any layoffs coming.  Our last staff meeting had been upbeat and positive with all the additional work from new clients that was upcoming.  But apparently "that was upcoming" and not actually in existence is something that always makes the upper management money-shy.

They've done this before, laid off until those left were overwhelmed, just to have to rehire in a couple months time, new people fresh off the street that had to be trained to help with the new workload.

Short-sightedness.  Typical of upper management.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 07:01:59 pm »
Oh geez.....sorry to hear this news, Del.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline oilgun

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2009, 09:06:54 pm »
Shit! I'm very sorry to hear that, Del!  I hope things work out for you and you get a job you enjoy and soon.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2009, 09:11:05 pm »
What a GDBOAUS!!  >:(  :-\

I sure am sorry to hear this Del.  Let's blame it all on that crappy Amtrak trip!!  >:( 

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2009, 10:22:38 pm »
What a GDBOAUS!!  >:(  :-\

I sure am sorry to hear this Del.  Let's blame it all on that crappy Amtrak trip!!  >:( 

What Eric said.  I've been meaning to weigh in on that thread and say that it must have been a really, really upsetting experience.  I do not envy you that whatsoever.   :-\
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2009, 10:32:35 pm »

I'm so sorry, Del--
it seems selfish, but it this community's tragic loss if you have to go offline--
I know your intelligence, wry humor and resilience will prevail over your (hopefully brief) problems (shortsighted lawyers: feh!)

Good Luck!

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2009, 10:43:52 pm »

I'm so sorry, Del--
it seems selfish, but it this community's tragic loss if you have to go offline--
I know your intelligence, wry humor and resilience will prevail over your (hopefully brief) problems (shortsighted lawyers: feh!)

Good Luck!

Well-stated, John.  If you must, check in via library or something, somehow.  You're a key contributor here and we'd miss you greatly.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2009, 10:57:40 pm »
Del, I'm so sorry to hear you got the pink slip.  It wouldn't be so bad if you didn't have so much company nowadays, everyone looking for something to keep the rent paid.  This sucks mightily.

I echo what John said.  Your presence here will be missed if you have to give up the internet.  Please use that library and keep in touch with us.  Fingers crossed that you get a job soon and won't have to do it.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2009, 11:37:05 pm »
Del-that sucks!

I was in your shoes a few months ago and it can be so demoralizing when you separate from your company-especially when you have been there for a long time.
I hope something comes your way quickly and that you end up in an even better place than you left. I have all my positive energy pointing in your direction.

Heathen

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2009, 11:42:10 pm »
Thanks enja and everyone.

I think demoralized is the word.  My immediate bosses were regretful, knowing the years and dedication I had put into my job.

I think I am also broken-hearted.  I so wanted to go to Italy next year, my dream trip, then start saving for a little cottage/condo/shack to buy...I hated my place of employment and their business philosophies and dealings, but the income I earned there allowed me to enjoy the simple pleasures in my life...and now it looks like I'm going to have to start all over again, and it really hurts to have to give up all my dreams/hopes/and most importantly to me, peace of mind - again - to start over.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2009, 04:31:19 pm »
Stay positive - you can still do those things Im sure..it may just take a little longer.

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2009, 01:56:08 am »
Unfortunately the pain you are feeling is shared by too many these days, and I am sorry that you have lost your job.

Fortunately though, you only have yourself to worry about.

Imagine how it feels to someone with a family when this happens, and they cannot pay school expenses, and have difficulty buying clothes and even food for their kids, let alone keep up with mortgage payments to keep a roof over their heads. One day everything is going along OK, then whamo, something out of their control changes everything.

It is a very sad state of affairs.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline ZK

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2009, 08:51:43 am »
Oh gee I am sorry that you got laid off. I know how hard and difficult it is, I have been made redundant 3 times now, plenty of people told me "one door closes another one opens", and I confess I used to get a little tired of hearing it.

However each time it happened I changed my career path to something I had not considered doing before. If I had not been made redundant I would not be doing a job that although monetary wise isn't that great, but job satisfaction is 100% and I do not want to be doing anything else. So that door does open!

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2009, 10:30:58 am »
Unfortunately the pain you are feeling is shared by too many these days, and I am sorry that you have lost your job.

Fortunately though, you only have yourself to worry about.

Imagine how it feels to someone with a family when this happens, and they cannot pay school expenses, and have difficulty buying clothes and even food for their kids, let alone keep up with mortgage payments to keep a roof over their heads. One day everything is going along OK, then whamo, something out of their control changes everything.

It is a very sad state of affairs.

It is.

I do have it much better than others.  I live a very simple life.  I own two junker cars - but they're paid off and have a minimum of insurance on them - one of which I could remove from my insurance policy if I had to to lower my premium.  I have no debt other than my student loan, which I called to put on hold due to my current unemployed status and I have 4 months left in my lease - which my severance check will pay at which time I can just move if I have to.  I have the luxury of being able to have moments of panic and feeling extremely insecure and fighting off psychological paralysis with only my cats as witnesses.  I can't imagine what someone with a houseful of kids, a spouse, a mortgage, insurance, car payments etc., would do.

All you guys and my RL friends have been fantastic.  Every single friend has come back with a suggestion or website of where to apply or someone who was hiring (our line of work is very insular and small, and we're all still in the same line of work or related fields).  So I'm trying to give myself a little time to handle the shock, and stay positive and take what 2K has said to heart because a multitude of my other friends have said the same when it happened to them as well.

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2009, 03:15:49 pm »
I'm sorry to hear this Del, and I'll be keeping my fingers very firmly crossed that a door to a new opportunity does indeed open for you quickly. I hope you'll somehow be coming here to post, whatever happens. You - your razor-sharp mind - will be sorely missed if you don't!

Good luck!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2009, 04:17:37 pm »
When I heard about my contract being cut off last month in Chicago, I was initially in shock, fortunately, although I didn't have any severance, I did have 4 weeks to find something else, which I did.  I spent the time until it ended counting the blessings in what I would no longer have to worry about/obsess over or be frustrated by.  It sounds like in your case you had a number of misgivings about your employers and the kind of business they were doing, so you can now indulge the luxury of knowing you don't have to put up with that anymore, and look forward to a clean slate with a new employer.  I am just now getting my toes wet at my new employer, and while the challenges are many (the code is undocumented, the requirements are obscure, the difficulty-level of figuring out what the customer wants is high) it has a couple of major advantages over my previous position - it won't be boring, because I'll be very busy (which is a big issue for me on contracts!), I will be nearby my work and won't have to worry about traffic, I'm in a private cube, and my new housing situation is a big step up with greater privacy and a LOT more room.  Over this weekend I'm considering going shopping for a new digital piano so I can get back into practicing.  Counting the blessings that come with change can help a lot with overcoming the inevitable shock of sudden unemployment.  I should know - I go through unemployment at least once, more frequently twice - a year!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline delalluvia

and the hits just keep onnnnnnnnnnnnnn comin'
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2009, 06:33:11 pm »

When I went to college, I had a little nest egg and everything budgeted and planned out.  I quit my job, drove to Austin to live with my sister and within a week, everything I owned started breaking down or falling apart, destroying all my careful budgetings.

Same here.  I've been laid off a week and 1 day and within the last couple of days, I've had my toaster oven die (under warranty, but I have to spend $33 to mail it to another state to get it fixed), a flat tire ($92) and now my car wouldn't start after returning to my mother's house after driving her to a doctor's appointment. 

Still despite the trouble, I thank all the gods I know that my mother wasn't with me when the car died.  It's 100 degrees F out (38 degrees C) and I had driven across town to pick her up, driven back to my area of town to visit her doctor, driven back toward her part of town, stopped at a grocery store and arrived safely at her house.  It was only when I tried to drive home that the car started acting up.

I have no idea what I would have done had my invalid mother in a wheelchair been with me.

Still, after a brief rest, the car started and I got to a repair shop on my own without needing a tow.  But so far, the bill is $260 and possibly will go higher.  But I have to have the car.  Without it, I can't go to any interviews should anyone call.

So, again, just when I need to be so careful with my money, my life suddenly turns into a money pit.

The shroud of the Dark Side has fallen...

Offline Katie77

« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2009, 06:37:19 pm »
Oh dear.....it seems to happen like that, and Im sorry it is happening to you, I really am.

Its like when you are down, something else comes along and kicks you in the guts.

Lets hope it turns around quickly for you.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2009, 06:48:16 pm »
...and as I write...it's hailing.  :-\

Not that I care if my cars get hail dents in them...I just hope none suffer cracked or smashed glass from the hail stones.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2009, 04:24:01 am »
oh dear Del.. keep your chin up tho!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2009, 10:15:12 am »
after nearly 12 years at the salt mines (I thought slaves had to be sold.)  :P

Have become a casualty of the bad economic times and stupid upper management.

I am a statistic.

I will likely be disconnecting my internet services in a few weeks, so FYI in case I disappear.

Del

That just blows. ...  >:(

Sorry to hear the news, Del.  :(

Good luck!
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2009, 11:30:54 pm »
Talk about perspective.

A friend who is currently chief operating officer at his small company bought a new house about a year ago.  His no-account younger son (who is over 18)  lives with him.  He bought a bigger than required house, planning for the time his mother becomes too ill to live on her own so she can come live with him.

He was very upset about the downswing in the economy.  His retirement was basically destroyed, so he really couldn't plan on ever retiring anymore.  So he decided to buckle down and rebuild his finances.

Then about 3 weeks ago, he came down with a pinched nerve in his lower back.  He also has high BP and is medically controlling his cholesteral levels.  Now he is in severe pain, is on crutches, it is agony for him to sit or stand or lay for any amount of time.  My parents both went through the same condition and it's no picnic.

He is currently getting injections for the pain and his doctor recommended the newest surgery.  It's dangerous surgery, but I encouraged him to get it.  No point in living with such pain.

Then yesterday, when he e-mailed to check in with me, I found out that he strongly suspects that his boss is trying to push him out.  A lot of his duties are starting to be removed and delegated out to others, that sort of thing.  He had helped his boss build up that company, and now he's considered a liability due to the amount of his paycheck and - probably - his health issues.

Talk about taking a serious hit should he be laid off what with his house note, truck note and son depending on him.  And I, at least, still have my health.  He doesn't and has serious health problems.  I urged him to get the operation quick before he got laid off so their insurance could pay for it.  My bosses laid me off just as the open enrollment period was ending for my health insurance

i.e. they cut me loose at the end of my insurance coverage period so I have no health coverage and will have to find my own.

His situation really put things in perspective for me.  :-\ 

Offline Katie77

« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2009, 12:34:38 am »
That really does suck.

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2009, 09:54:01 am »
Yes. it does.  :-\

There are so many horror stories now about people losing their healt insurance coverage and/or being squeezed from their good and well-paying jobs because of their health issues - either because they can't work around the clock or because their health problems cause their employers' insurance fees to skyrocket. I feel so bad for them. What a double whammy.

I hope you're holding up OK, Del.

Offline delalluvia

Re: got laid off - perspective
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2009, 09:26:50 pm »
Talk about perspective.

A friend who is currently chief operating officer at his small company bought a new house about a year ago.  His no-account younger son (who is over 18)  lives with him.  He bought a bigger than required house, planning for the time his mother becomes too ill to live on her own so she can come live with him.

He was very upset about the downswing in the economy.  His retirement was basically destroyed, so he really couldn't plan on ever retiring anymore.  So he decided to buckle down and rebuild his finances.

Then about 3 weeks ago, he came down with a pinched nerve in his lower back.  He also has high BP and is medically controlling his cholesteral levels.  Now he is in severe pain, is on crutches, it is agony for him to sit or stand or lay for any amount of time.  My parents both went through the same condition and it's no picnic.

He is currently getting injections for the pain and his doctor recommended the newest surgery.  It's dangerous surgery, but I encouraged him to get it.  No point in living with such pain.

Then yesterday, when he e-mailed to check in with me, I found out that he strongly suspects that his boss is trying to push him out.  A lot of his duties are starting to be removed and delegated out to others, that sort of thing.  He had helped his boss build up that company, and now he's considered a liability due to the amount of his paycheck and - probably - his health issues.

Talk about taking a serious hit should he be laid off what with his house note, truck note and son depending on him.  And I, at least, still have my health.  He doesn't and has serious health problems.  I urged him to get the operation quick before he got laid off so their insurance could pay for it.  My bosses laid me off just as the open enrollment period was ending for my health insurance

i.e. they cut me loose at the end of my insurance coverage period so I have no health coverage and will have to find my own.

His situation really put things in perspective for me.  :-\ 

Just heard from my friend.  Four days after I wrote this, he got laid off.  :P  Needless to say, he didn't have time to get the surgery, so now he's unemployed and partially invalid.  Have no idea what he's going to do.  All I can hope is that he got a good severance package, seeing as he was a high muckety muck at his company.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2009, 04:33:54 pm »
Reeeeally depressed right now.  :(

Got a great tip on a place that was hiring.  A state job at the local medical school.  The pay wasn't that great, but the benefits were awesome and even had a retirement plan.  I went in and applied and got 4 calls for interviews for 4 different departments in the last 10 days.

All the interviews went well.  One spectacularly so.  One was so enthused about my applying with her department she was the first to call me back for a 2nd interview to meet her staff, tried to talk me out of going to some of my other interviews - in a joking way of course - .  Her staff and I got along well, when I met them yesterday, one even walked me out, saying how much she liked me and giving me hints about parking and stuff...I was so upbeat yesterday, sure I'd get an offer...

And I got their rejection e-mail this morning.

*sigh*

And this department was REALLY positive about me.  The others were OK, I came across well.

It would really suck if I went to all these interviews and didn't get a single offer.  :(

Offline Katie77

« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2009, 05:07:36 pm »
Oh dear Del, that is a terrible let down.

Makes you wonder what changed their positive attitude in such as short time.

Are you able to contact them to ask them, what went wrong, at least then you would know.

Anyway, good luck with the other interviews, hopefully something good will come from them.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2009, 05:19:49 pm »
Oh dear Del, that is a terrible let down.

Makes you wonder what changed their positive attitude in such as short time.

Are you able to contact them to ask them, what went wrong, at least then you would know.

Anyway, good luck with the other interviews, hopefully something good will come from them.

Thanks Katie, it is pretty crushing.  I'm trying not to lose hope and confidence in all my other interviews.

She did give me a reason and it was understandable.

The administrative staff at this university support the scientists and doctors.  The position called for someone - in addition to their other office duties - to make travel arrangements.

I had no experience with that, except for planning my own vacations, but I didn't consider that a big deal.  How hard is that to learn?

But guess the manager considered that something she wanted to turn over to someone else immediately and so she let me know the person she made the offer to did  have experience with that.

Not much I can do about that.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2009, 05:25:45 pm »
Ive got my fingers and toes crossed for you!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2009, 07:45:06 pm »
Shit, that's hard, del.  Really hard, especially when it comes down to something so seemingly peripheral.  But I'd like to think this means you're getting close to the prize.  One of these days, it will be you who's celebrating, and I hope that day is SOON.  :-*
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2009, 07:48:19 pm »

:)

Thanks guys.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2009, 10:46:09 am »
Aw sh*t Del, I'm sorry to hear. That's hard to stomach.
Don't lose hope on the other interviews. I remember having an interview that didn't go well (they asked some subject-specific questions I didn't know the answer to, simply hadn't come across it before), but they offfered me the job nonetheless. With job interviews, you just never know.
Keeping my fingers crossed for you. You'll hit the jackpot. And hopefully very soon.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2009, 11:16:14 am »
Reeeeally depressed right now.  :(

Got a great tip on a place that was hiring.  A state job at the local medical school.  The pay wasn't that great, but the benefits were awesome and even had a retirement plan.  I went in and applied and got 4 calls for interviews for 4 different departments in the last 10 days.

All the interviews went well.  One spectacularly so.  One was so enthused about my applying with her department she was the first to call me back for a 2nd interview to meet her staff, tried to talk me out of going to some of my other interviews - in a joking way of course - .  Her staff and I got along well, when I met them yesterday, one even walked me out, saying how much she liked me and giving me hints about parking and stuff...I was so upbeat yesterday, sure I'd get an offer...

And I got their rejection e-mail this morning.

*sigh*

And this department was REALLY positive about me.  The others were OK, I came across well.

It would really suck if I went to all these interviews and didn't get a single offer.  :(

Oh, gosh, I'm sorry.  That's hard.  Like Chrissi said, you just never know with job interviews.  Hopefully now one of the interviews that just went "OK" will come through.  Although I know it's not feasible, I wish there was a way for the interviewer who was so enthused to put in a good word for you with the other departments.  Good Luck!
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2009, 01:30:54 pm »
I'm really sorry to hear this, Del.  I agree with Meryl that it must be really frustrating considering that 'making travel arrangements' is something most of us take for granted as something we know how to do.   :-\

Don't give up hope.  If it were me, I think I might risk asking the interviewer you had such rapport with if she would feel comfortable putting in a good word for you with the other departments.  She may have some influence and the worst thing that can happen is she might say no, but I can't think why she would.

Hang in there.

Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline delalluvia

Re: got laid off - update
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2010, 08:44:49 pm »
I got a job offer today.

I had 4 interviews this week at the same university - different departments.  Three seemed very interested in me.  The department HR person asked if I had a preference.  I did, between two different areas.  She said if both areas were going to make me an offer, she'd try to make it so that they made them together so I'd get my pick.  That was Friday.

Today an hour ago, the doctor I interviewed with on Friday called to offer me the job.

Unfortunately, her department was my 2nd pick.

I guess I should have jumped at the offer.  Instead I asked her to wait until Monday as I had some questions for the department HR person (I wanted to confirm salary, the ability to advance and to see if the other department was even going to make me an offer).  She agreed.  I don't think my request was unreasonable.

Now I'm completely kicking myself and paranoid that the doctor will get pissed off and withdraw her offer and the other department isn't going to make me an offer.  :P

I'm going to be sweating until Monday.  :-\

Offline Katie77

« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2010, 09:49:28 pm »
I was only wondering the other day if you had found a job, thinking that this thread had gone quiet so I assumed you had.

Bloody hell, its been a while that you have been still searching, and now you may have TWO offers....things happen like that, I know when we had our house on the market, nothing for six bloody months, then one weekend we got two interested parties and they both fought over the house......looks like a similar thing is happening here now with your job hunting.

Dont sweat too much, usually things like this dont get decided on over the weekend, and Im sure by the end of Monday you will be once again  back to being fully employed.

Good luck with everything.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2010, 09:55:59 pm »
I was only wondering the other day if you had found a job, thinking that this thread had gone quiet so I assumed you had.

Bloody hell, its been a while that you have been still searching, and now you may have TWO offers....things happen like that, I know when we had our house on the market, nothing for six bloody months, then one weekend we got two interested parties and they both fought over the house......looks like a similar thing is happening here now with your job hunting.

Dont sweat too much, usually things like this dont get decided on over the weekend, and Im sure by the end of Monday you will be once again  back to being fully employed.

Good luck with everything.

Thanks Katie, I'm trying not to be too paranoid.  I guess I should be flattered that the doctor saw me and made a decision so quickly that she wanted me.  Guess I should act like I'm that great and so in demand?

:laugh:

Yeah, right.

A friend has assured me that if the doctor is so stingy as to begrudge me time to consider, then perhaps I don't want to work for her after all, but we shall see what happens Monday.  Yes, nothing official can happen until a workday, so there's that.

Grapple grapple grapple. Yes, like your house sale, feast or famine, feast or famine.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2010, 06:07:54 am »
i have my fingers and toes crossed Del!

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2010, 09:40:26 am »
That's really good news, del. I hope your first choice comes through on Monday!  And it was completely reasonable to ask for some time to ask HR questions before committing yourself. It really does seem like it is feast or famine, doesn't it?  Good luck!
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2010, 11:28:16 am »
Glad I didn't commit to that doctor.  I called the division lady this morning and she did say my 1st choice department had requested me as well on Friday.

I told her about the doctor making me an offer on Saturday, but apparently, according to the division lady she said the doctor can't make me the offer.  It has to come from the head HR lady because they have to do all the paperwork first (background check).  She said the doctor was new and probably didn't know.

Now except for my reputation as a serial killer  ;) I have no problems with any kind of background check.  Now credit checks are something different (it shows I'm currently overextended because of my school loans and therefore my score is bad) but the website said they didn't do credit checks.  Here's hoping that still holds true.  I should hear something today, Tuesday at the latest.

Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping I don't get disappointed again.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2010, 02:46:36 pm »
yay! Fingers crossed!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2010, 05:41:55 pm »
Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping I don't get disappointed again.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Offline delalluvia

Re: got laid off - HIRED!!!
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2010, 01:27:21 pm »
[doing a dance]

Got hired!!

Got my pick of departments.  It's a state job at a health research university, so they offer free health insurance which goes into effect immediately, a pension plan, all federal holidays off, a 5 minute commute and I don't even have to pay for parking. Took a big hit in salary $8000 per year cut, but nothing's perfect.  I start Monday.

[doing a dance]

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2010, 01:32:35 pm »
Congrats!   ;D

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2010, 01:41:15 pm »
YAY!!!

Long overdue.  Congratulations!!!

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Katie77

« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2010, 01:45:00 pm »
Yay......well done.......so pleased for you...............

now lets all do a dance......

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2010, 01:50:22 pm »
Whoo-hooo!
Three cheers for Del! :D

And you even got to pick.

:D Congratulations! :D

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2010, 01:59:13 pm »
Thanks to all for all your support and tips

:-* :-* :-*

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2010, 02:06:42 pm »

It's a state job at a health research university, so they offer free health insurance which goes into effect immediately, a pension plan, all federal holidays off, a 5 minute commute and I don't even have to pay for parking.

I start Monday.

Excellent!!!
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Sophia

• Your elbows, try to lick them
« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2010, 02:15:01 pm »
  :D Congratulations :D

I am so happy for you!

and you can pic and choose!!!

thats amazing...  :)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2010, 03:16:37 pm »
[doing a dance]

Got hired!!

Got my pick of departments.  It's a state job at a health research university, so they offer free health insurance which goes into effect immediately, a pension plan, all federal holidays off, a 5 minute commute and I don't even have to pay for parking. Took a big hit in salary $8000 per year cut, but nothing's perfect.  I start Monday.

[doing a dance]

:D :D  Awesome news!   I'm very happy for you.  Nope, no such thing as perfect, but the benefits and the five-minute commute and the free parking might take some sting out of the salary cut.  Congrats!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2010, 03:25:42 pm »
congrats!!!

Offline min

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2010, 04:30:19 pm »
Fantastic!!!  Congratulations!!!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2010, 05:15:34 pm »
[doing a dance]

Got hired!!

[doing a dance]

Yeehaw! Congratulations! Wonderful news!  :D

That five minute commute will be a wonderful time-saver! You can sleep later and still be to work on time!  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2010, 06:36:08 pm »
Yeehaw! Congratulations! Wonderful news!  :D

That five minute commute will be a wonderful time-saver! You can sleep later and still be to work on time!  ;D

Extra sleep-in time is ALWAYS a plus in my book.  ;D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #68 on: February 02, 2010, 07:49:36 pm »
Congratulations Del, that is wonderful news!

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #69 on: February 02, 2010, 08:31:59 pm »
Good news!  :)

"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2010, 07:17:54 pm »
Yee-haw, friend! Great to hear!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline ZK

« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2010, 02:35:40 am »
Thats really fantastic news. Congrats

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #72 on: February 20, 2010, 08:04:18 pm »

Belated congratulations on your successful job hunt, Del!
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2010, 10:13:51 pm »
Thanks!!!

Things are going swimmingly right now.   ;D  My bosses love me and I seem to be adapting and I am catching on quite rapidly.

However one thing that I failed to take into account.  :P

I'm used to administrating to an 'entity' if you will - a client, a portfolio - not a person.

So instead of just keeping the client happy and making my boss happy, now not only do I have to make my bosses happy, I also have to make happy the two people whom I support.

While they are not my bosses, their opinions carry a lot of weight and if they don't like me or think me incompetent, nothing my administrative bosses think counts, ya know?

Before, if I mastered the work, I could be certain 99% of the time, that my position was secure.

Not so now.  Not only do I have to master the work, I also have to deal with the personality quirks of the two people I'll be supporting.

I've met one of them.  We had a two hour lunch and got along famously.  I like him and he seems to like and be impressed by me and he is someone I understand and can work with.

The other person has been out of the office on business.

She's the one I really thought I'd like and get along with.

She's dropped in several times and went out of her way to come greet me and give me hugs of welcome  ;D - and 98% of the people I've met tell me what a wonderful, quirky just neat person she is.

The other 2% tell me how changeable she is, how much she desires to draw people into a personality cult and how she constantly changes her mind, her dates and forgets that she did, so much so, that she blames her administrator and scheduler for goofing her up.

I've been warned not to be 'drawn in' by her.

:P :-\

Well, I'm going to just have to find out for myself, and try to keep a professional distance between us whether she like this or not.

Different office, different line of work, different issues.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2010, 01:44:09 am »
Del - I think it's super that things are starting off so well for you!  I could not be happier.   :-* :-*

There's always going to be office politics and personalities to contend with.  You're definitely doing the right thing by the 'wait and see' attitude about the woman others have said is difficult.

Best of luck that things keep going in the right direction!
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #75 on: April 22, 2010, 09:39:13 pm »
So, how's it going now? Me, I'm celebrating one month at my new job!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #76 on: April 22, 2010, 10:30:19 pm »
So, how's it going now? Me, I'm celebrating one month at my new job!

You should check this page, Lee.

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,11420.120.html

See Reply #122, the third post down.

Offline delalluvia

Re: got laid off - HIRED!!! Update on the best job in the world
« Reply #77 on: May 12, 2010, 12:34:21 am »
You should check this page, Lee.

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,11420.120.html

See Reply #122, the third post down.

How is my job going?

As I said in my earlier posts, my bosses love me and I love the job.

When my mother was failing, my bosses said if, at any time, I needed to drop things and leave, to just leave, they'd work things out.

When my mother passed, my immediate boss and her husband drove 70 miles round trip to attend the Viewing.

If that wasn't a sign of how good these people are, later at the same viewing, I nearly fell to the floor when one of the doctors I support showed up!  :o  He came over to me, we stood in front of my mothers casket, and he held my hand the entire time, letting me talk, I told him what the doctors had told us (he's a doctor, anything I had a question on, he was able to answer), he literally walked around and spoke with my family members.  When I told him how little time I had off for bereavement, he instantly offered to write me a sick note ("I'm licensed to practice medicine in the state of Texas, I can write you whatever you want.").  The man's bedside manner is superb.  It isn't any wonder at all that he's been named one of the best pedi doctors in the state of Texas for two years.  My boss though tells me this isn't his professionalism showing, he truly is sincere in his actions.

At the funeral, my immediate boss came for the service.  Needless to say, my department sent flowers, everyone signed a sympathy card for me.

Remember, I just started working at this place and just met these people in the first week in February.

Did I get so much as an e-mail from the place I used to work?  Where I worked nearly 12 years?  Nope.  >:(

When I got back from leave, my other doctor came to my desk and gave me roses from her own garden.  Both doctors stopped as often as they could just to see how I was doing.

Ten days later, the same doctor who came to my mother's funeral, called me from out of the country where he was attending a conference just to ask me how I was doing and spent 20 minutes on the phone talking with me.  This doctor still finds time to check in with me to see how I am doing.  My immediate boss told me he's never done that for any of his other assistants - even when they weren't in a bad way.

Today, I couldn't be prouder of where I work.  The PA system crackled and a voice called out,

"CODE Pink"

By the time I looked at my security card to find out what that was, the PA was going on

"Missing child, age 6..."

At the exact same time, I heard doors being thrown open, the sound of feet running and voices,

"Where's so-and-so?"

"She's checking the other hall."

"OK, I'll head for the west corridor."

"I'll take this hall."

"X is already headed for the clinic area...Y is checking the fire escape"

The reaction to a missing child is for people to drop what they're doing and fan out to search the entire floor FAST and they do it with deadly seriousness.

I love my job and the people here.  :-*

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #78 on: May 12, 2010, 12:49:11 am »
I am so sorry about your loss, Del! I know very well what it feels like to lose your Mother. But I am really happy to hear so many people rallied around you. That must have felt very good indeed!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #79 on: May 12, 2010, 05:16:13 am »
sound slike getting laid off really was a blessing in diguise. ((Del))

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #80 on: May 12, 2010, 05:47:08 am »
Del,
That sounds really wonderful. I've been thinking about you and hoping you had some support these past many weeks.
Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #81 on: May 12, 2010, 04:24:17 pm »
Del! I'm so happy for you to hear you've got such wonderful people to work with!  :D

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #82 on: May 22, 2010, 02:43:32 am »
Thanks everyone.  Yes it was wonderful to have support come out of places I did not expect at all.  Friends I hadn't seen in 15 years showed up at my mom's wake, people contacted me I hadn't talked to in decades.

sound slike getting laid off really was a blessing in diguise. ((Del))

It truly was.  I feel so thrilled now that every Sunday night I go to bed without a feeling of dread and my only regret getting up on a Monday morning is that I didn't get to sleep as much as I wanted, my job is so enjoyable and relaxing and rewarding that I have absolutely no regret or complaint about going into the office.

I leave work on time on Friday afternoons without being made to feel that I'm not working as much as I should and that the work I had done was insufficient.  Last Friday I went home with the words of praise from my boss and one of my doctors.

My boss submitted my 4 month review - and made it quite clear in her evaluation of me - having gotten input from my doctors and the division head - that I was certainly overqualified for my job and asked for a salary increase for me.  Let me reemphasize - I've been there only 4 months.

One doctor was finishing up a paper he is submitting for publication in a prestigious journal.  He asked me to change his references to the correct format.  I did, cleaned up the paper, made some corrections and suggestions and did it fast enough to impress him (remember, I'm used to working in an environment where the clients wanted things done like yesterday).  

He was so grateful, he put my name in the journal article with special thanks!

The gesture was so amazingly generous that I nearly cried.

This week, I left today having helped both my doctors deal with depositions they had to give to law firms for cases coming up that involved their patients (neither is getting sued, one patient's parents are getting divorced, the other patient was hit by a truck and the doctor was subpoened to give his expert opinion).  With my law office background, I was able to successfully liaison between the summons server, the attorneys, our legal department and my doctors.  I was pleased to be able to use my work experience to help them.  They were suitably impressed.

My other doc said, "How did we get so lucky to get you?"

Needless to say, I tend to leave work these days with a smile on my face.  :)    

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #83 on: May 22, 2010, 08:29:49 am »
(((Del)))

I'm happy for you that things at work go so well and you're so appreciated by the people in this otherwise hard times for you. The support they've shown you is amazing.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #84 on: May 22, 2010, 07:46:16 pm »
This is great, great news to hear about your new job, del.  :)

My deepest sympathy on the passing of your mother.  I'm glad to know you have such a loving network of supportive friends and colleagues.

((((((((del))))))))
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #85 on: May 22, 2010, 08:20:41 pm »
Yay!  Del, I think it is wonderful that your job is working out so well. A lot of people don't realize how far a compliment or a bit of recognition goes. I'm sure I've said it before, but I firmly believe the people with whom you work make all the difference. After a point, the work itself is secondary.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."