Author Topic: got laid off - HIRED!!!  (Read 24138 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: got laid off
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 04:42:25 pm »
Thanks guys.   :)

I'm trying to sort through my feelings right now.  Have sent out 3 resumes already, will sign my company's CYA separation agreement so I can get my severance pay. 

Not in any great condition to do any of the above, but it beats sitting around doing nothing, wondering how I'm going to pay for everything.

I'm thinking I'm anxious and extremely upset over losing the income, not my job.  I despised the company I worked for, but liked the people there for the most part.

So I'm not sure why I'm sitting here all teary-eyed.   I guess I'm upset about losing the money, more than anything else.

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 04:54:03 pm »
It can be a big trauma, just like the end of any kind of relationship.  You spent 2/3 of your waking hours in the same place, with the same people, on the same general endeavor.  And now you're suddenly outside it all.  Even if you had a lot of issues with the job, a layoff is still a loss.

Offline optom3

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 05:00:55 pm »
You certainly have my sympathy. I suspect if you did not see it coming it must have been one heck of a shock. There are lots of us in the same position and it sucks. I hope you have luck in your job hunt. :)

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2009, 06:03:42 pm »
You certainly have my sympathy. I suspect if you did not see it coming it must have been one heck of a shock. There are lots of us in the same position and it sucks. I hope you have luck in your job hunt. :)

Yeah, it pretty much came out of the blue.  There was not even a hint of any layoffs coming.  Our last staff meeting had been upbeat and positive with all the additional work from new clients that was upcoming.  But apparently "that was upcoming" and not actually in existence is something that always makes the upper management money-shy.

They've done this before, laid off until those left were overwhelmed, just to have to rehire in a couple months time, new people fresh off the street that had to be trained to help with the new workload.

Short-sightedness.  Typical of upper management.

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 07:01:59 pm »
Oh geez.....sorry to hear this news, Del.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline oilgun

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2009, 09:06:54 pm »
Shit! I'm very sorry to hear that, Del!  I hope things work out for you and you get a job you enjoy and soon.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2009, 09:11:05 pm »
What a GDBOAUS!!  >:(  :-\

I sure am sorry to hear this Del.  Let's blame it all on that crappy Amtrak trip!!  >:( 

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2009, 10:22:38 pm »
What a GDBOAUS!!  >:(  :-\

I sure am sorry to hear this Del.  Let's blame it all on that crappy Amtrak trip!!  >:( 

What Eric said.  I've been meaning to weigh in on that thread and say that it must have been a really, really upsetting experience.  I do not envy you that whatsoever.   :-\
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2009, 10:32:35 pm »

I'm so sorry, Del--
it seems selfish, but it this community's tragic loss if you have to go offline--
I know your intelligence, wry humor and resilience will prevail over your (hopefully brief) problems (shortsighted lawyers: feh!)

Good Luck!

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2009, 10:43:52 pm »

I'm so sorry, Del--
it seems selfish, but it this community's tragic loss if you have to go offline--
I know your intelligence, wry humor and resilience will prevail over your (hopefully brief) problems (shortsighted lawyers: feh!)

Good Luck!

Well-stated, John.  If you must, check in via library or something, somehow.  You're a key contributor here and we'd miss you greatly.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."