Author Topic: got laid off - HIRED!!!  (Read 24154 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: got laid off
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2009, 05:19:49 pm »
Oh dear Del, that is a terrible let down.

Makes you wonder what changed their positive attitude in such as short time.

Are you able to contact them to ask them, what went wrong, at least then you would know.

Anyway, good luck with the other interviews, hopefully something good will come from them.

Thanks Katie, it is pretty crushing.  I'm trying not to lose hope and confidence in all my other interviews.

She did give me a reason and it was understandable.

The administrative staff at this university support the scientists and doctors.  The position called for someone - in addition to their other office duties - to make travel arrangements.

I had no experience with that, except for planning my own vacations, but I didn't consider that a big deal.  How hard is that to learn?

But guess the manager considered that something she wanted to turn over to someone else immediately and so she let me know the person she made the offer to did  have experience with that.

Not much I can do about that.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2009, 05:25:45 pm »
Ive got my fingers and toes crossed for you!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2009, 07:45:06 pm »
Shit, that's hard, del.  Really hard, especially when it comes down to something so seemingly peripheral.  But I'd like to think this means you're getting close to the prize.  One of these days, it will be you who's celebrating, and I hope that day is SOON.  :-*
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2009, 07:48:19 pm »

:)

Thanks guys.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2009, 10:46:09 am »
Aw sh*t Del, I'm sorry to hear. That's hard to stomach.
Don't lose hope on the other interviews. I remember having an interview that didn't go well (they asked some subject-specific questions I didn't know the answer to, simply hadn't come across it before), but they offfered me the job nonetheless. With job interviews, you just never know.
Keeping my fingers crossed for you. You'll hit the jackpot. And hopefully very soon.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2009, 11:16:14 am »
Reeeeally depressed right now.  :(

Got a great tip on a place that was hiring.  A state job at the local medical school.  The pay wasn't that great, but the benefits were awesome and even had a retirement plan.  I went in and applied and got 4 calls for interviews for 4 different departments in the last 10 days.

All the interviews went well.  One spectacularly so.  One was so enthused about my applying with her department she was the first to call me back for a 2nd interview to meet her staff, tried to talk me out of going to some of my other interviews - in a joking way of course - .  Her staff and I got along well, when I met them yesterday, one even walked me out, saying how much she liked me and giving me hints about parking and stuff...I was so upbeat yesterday, sure I'd get an offer...

And I got their rejection e-mail this morning.

*sigh*

And this department was REALLY positive about me.  The others were OK, I came across well.

It would really suck if I went to all these interviews and didn't get a single offer.  :(

Oh, gosh, I'm sorry.  That's hard.  Like Chrissi said, you just never know with job interviews.  Hopefully now one of the interviews that just went "OK" will come through.  Although I know it's not feasible, I wish there was a way for the interviewer who was so enthused to put in a good word for you with the other departments.  Good Luck!
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2009, 01:30:54 pm »
I'm really sorry to hear this, Del.  I agree with Meryl that it must be really frustrating considering that 'making travel arrangements' is something most of us take for granted as something we know how to do.   :-\

Don't give up hope.  If it were me, I think I might risk asking the interviewer you had such rapport with if she would feel comfortable putting in a good word for you with the other departments.  She may have some influence and the worst thing that can happen is she might say no, but I can't think why she would.

Hang in there.

Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline delalluvia

Re: got laid off - update
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2010, 08:44:49 pm »
I got a job offer today.

I had 4 interviews this week at the same university - different departments.  Three seemed very interested in me.  The department HR person asked if I had a preference.  I did, between two different areas.  She said if both areas were going to make me an offer, she'd try to make it so that they made them together so I'd get my pick.  That was Friday.

Today an hour ago, the doctor I interviewed with on Friday called to offer me the job.

Unfortunately, her department was my 2nd pick.

I guess I should have jumped at the offer.  Instead I asked her to wait until Monday as I had some questions for the department HR person (I wanted to confirm salary, the ability to advance and to see if the other department was even going to make me an offer).  She agreed.  I don't think my request was unreasonable.

Now I'm completely kicking myself and paranoid that the doctor will get pissed off and withdraw her offer and the other department isn't going to make me an offer.  :P

I'm going to be sweating until Monday.  :-\

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2010, 09:49:28 pm »
I was only wondering the other day if you had found a job, thinking that this thread had gone quiet so I assumed you had.

Bloody hell, its been a while that you have been still searching, and now you may have TWO offers....things happen like that, I know when we had our house on the market, nothing for six bloody months, then one weekend we got two interested parties and they both fought over the house......looks like a similar thing is happening here now with your job hunting.

Dont sweat too much, usually things like this dont get decided on over the weekend, and Im sure by the end of Monday you will be once again  back to being fully employed.

Good luck with everything.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2010, 09:55:59 pm »
I was only wondering the other day if you had found a job, thinking that this thread had gone quiet so I assumed you had.

Bloody hell, its been a while that you have been still searching, and now you may have TWO offers....things happen like that, I know when we had our house on the market, nothing for six bloody months, then one weekend we got two interested parties and they both fought over the house......looks like a similar thing is happening here now with your job hunting.

Dont sweat too much, usually things like this dont get decided on over the weekend, and Im sure by the end of Monday you will be once again  back to being fully employed.

Good luck with everything.

Thanks Katie, I'm trying not to be too paranoid.  I guess I should be flattered that the doctor saw me and made a decision so quickly that she wanted me.  Guess I should act like I'm that great and so in demand?

:laugh:

Yeah, right.

A friend has assured me that if the doctor is so stingy as to begrudge me time to consider, then perhaps I don't want to work for her after all, but we shall see what happens Monday.  Yes, nothing official can happen until a workday, so there's that.

Grapple grapple grapple. Yes, like your house sale, feast or famine, feast or famine.