Author Topic: got laid off - HIRED!!!  (Read 23913 times)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Re: got laid off - HIRED!!!
« Reply #80 on: May 12, 2010, 05:47:08 am »
Del,
That sounds really wonderful. I've been thinking about you and hoping you had some support these past many weeks.
Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #81 on: May 12, 2010, 04:24:17 pm »
Del! I'm so happy for you to hear you've got such wonderful people to work with!  :D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #82 on: May 22, 2010, 02:43:32 am »
Thanks everyone.  Yes it was wonderful to have support come out of places I did not expect at all.  Friends I hadn't seen in 15 years showed up at my mom's wake, people contacted me I hadn't talked to in decades.

sound slike getting laid off really was a blessing in diguise. ((Del))

It truly was.  I feel so thrilled now that every Sunday night I go to bed without a feeling of dread and my only regret getting up on a Monday morning is that I didn't get to sleep as much as I wanted, my job is so enjoyable and relaxing and rewarding that I have absolutely no regret or complaint about going into the office.

I leave work on time on Friday afternoons without being made to feel that I'm not working as much as I should and that the work I had done was insufficient.  Last Friday I went home with the words of praise from my boss and one of my doctors.

My boss submitted my 4 month review - and made it quite clear in her evaluation of me - having gotten input from my doctors and the division head - that I was certainly overqualified for my job and asked for a salary increase for me.  Let me reemphasize - I've been there only 4 months.

One doctor was finishing up a paper he is submitting for publication in a prestigious journal.  He asked me to change his references to the correct format.  I did, cleaned up the paper, made some corrections and suggestions and did it fast enough to impress him (remember, I'm used to working in an environment where the clients wanted things done like yesterday).  

He was so grateful, he put my name in the journal article with special thanks!

The gesture was so amazingly generous that I nearly cried.

This week, I left today having helped both my doctors deal with depositions they had to give to law firms for cases coming up that involved their patients (neither is getting sued, one patient's parents are getting divorced, the other patient was hit by a truck and the doctor was subpoened to give his expert opinion).  With my law office background, I was able to successfully liaison between the summons server, the attorneys, our legal department and my doctors.  I was pleased to be able to use my work experience to help them.  They were suitably impressed.

My other doc said, "How did we get so lucky to get you?"

Needless to say, I tend to leave work these days with a smile on my face.  :)    

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #83 on: May 22, 2010, 08:29:49 am »
(((Del)))

I'm happy for you that things at work go so well and you're so appreciated by the people in this otherwise hard times for you. The support they've shown you is amazing.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #84 on: May 22, 2010, 07:46:16 pm »
This is great, great news to hear about your new job, del.  :)

My deepest sympathy on the passing of your mother.  I'm glad to know you have such a loving network of supportive friends and colleagues.

((((((((del))))))))
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #85 on: May 22, 2010, 08:20:41 pm »
Yay!  Del, I think it is wonderful that your job is working out so well. A lot of people don't realize how far a compliment or a bit of recognition goes. I'm sure I've said it before, but I firmly believe the people with whom you work make all the difference. After a point, the work itself is secondary.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."