Author Topic: A line from the SS thst intrigues me  (Read 8577 times)

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
Re: A line from the SS thst intrigues me
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 04:14:21 pm »
A bit OT, but this reminded me of a line that I did notice and wonder about the first time I read the novel.
I didn't understand what the line "who hadn't rolled his own" (I'm reciting from memory, but I believe it is how it goes) actually meant, so I decided to ask, I believe it was Pete, during the Wyoming trip last year. I think it was on the first day we met...
When he started to explain, I wished the earth would just disappear under my feet and swallow me... :laugh:

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 01:06:53 am »
I love this idea! Great food for thought. I love how the differing ideas and interpretations of BBM complement each other. The thought that their coming together on paper is a metaphor for marriage is just great. It adds another dimension to the much discussed Genesis motif where Aguirre is a stand in for God who brings together Adam and Eve (J&E) and plants them in Eden (BBM). That he is marrying them to each other is just lovely.

Up until this very moment I always thought it meant that J&E came together on paper as members of Aguire's staff list, for pay purposes. But now that I've read this thread, I'm not so sure any more. I much prefer the above interpretation now. Such wonderful food for thought. Excellent thread.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2009, 01:58:13 am »
A bit OT, but this reminded me of a line that I did notice and wonder about the first time I read the novel.
I didn't understand what the line "who hadn't rolled his own" (I'm reciting from memory, but I believe it is how it goes) actually meant, so I decided to ask, I believe it was Pete, during the Wyoming trip last year. I think it was on the first day we met...
When he started to explain, I wished the earth would just disappear under my feet and swallow me... :laugh:

OK OK.....what does it mean?
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2009, 02:03:09 am »
OK OK.....what does it mean?
roll his own = masturbate
And Jack didn´t have to. (because he had other who helped him out, so to speak)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2009, 02:27:11 am »
roll his own = masturbate
And Jack didn´t have to. (because he had other who helped him out, so to speak)

Yep, that's how I understand it. Jack was sleeping around, while Ennis was amusing himself, fantasizing about Jack.

Ennis remained true to Jack (with men). Alas, Jack did not return the compliment.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2009, 04:10:54 am »
Well, there you go......never heard it called that before.

Haven't got a clue what I thought it meant in the story.....maybe I was thinking of cigarettes.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2009, 11:16:57 am »
I hadn't heard that expresson either, and wondered if maybe Annie made it up, like she did "stemming the rose." (or so the wisdom goes)
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Clyde-B

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2009, 03:46:46 pm »
I always thought the "they came together" had subtle sexual implications as well.

One of the things I like about the way Proulx uses language is that her word choices often yield more than one interpretation, but regardless of how you choose to read a line, it still fits.  Each of the interpretations adds a different, but still appropriate, dimension to the meaning. 

The double entendre of "they came together" gives it a gritty, crude tone and at the same time foreshadows how their relationship is going to progress. 

"They came together on paper" conveys the notion of marriage as well, and it does all that at the same time "they came together on paper as herder and camp tender..." conveys the literal meaning of the sentence while introducing a hint of irony that this is not the way things are going to be.  It's the unusual choice of wording and the order in which the sentence unfolds that allows these multiple meanings.

I think this multiplicity of appropriate meanings is what makes the story feel so rich.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2009, 07:10:48 pm »
I agree with what all of you are saying about the phrase "they came together." Also keep in mind that AP is describing where Jack and Ennis came from, specifically from the southwestern corner of the state (in Ennis's case) and the northeastern corner of the state (in Jack's case). They came together in the Bighorn Mountains, which is roughly in the middle between the two hometowns.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2009, 01:35:02 pm »
Here's another reference to Tom Stoppard made by retropian that shows how his work is very Brokish.
...I love how the differing ideas and interpretations of BBM complement each other. The thought that their coming together on paper is a metaphor for marriage is just great. It adds another dimension to the much discussed Genesis motif where Aguirre is a stand in for God who brings together Adam and Eve (J&E) and plants them in Eden (BBM). That he is marrying them to each other is just lovely.

My original thought was suggested by Tom Stoppard's play "Rosencranz and Guildenstern are Dead", in which the characters realize the reality they inhabit is being created moment to moment as Shakespeare writes Hamlet. It puts me in mind of a line later in the story when Ennis has that vague feeling of dissatisfaction. He is dissatisfied with how the story is going and how his life in the story is turning out.