Author Topic: Brokie Fever Relapse  (Read 28748 times)

Offline Andrew

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Brokie Fever Relapse
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2011, 10:31:14 pm »
The way I experienced something like a relapse this year was actually seeing a different film, Undertow.   Although not 'like' Brokeback Mountain it certainly appeals to some of the same feelings.  We had a thread going for a while, but no one new has jumped on for quite a while and I am feeling a certain sadness that other people I think would really be moved by it, will probably never get around to seeing it.  Or even if they do see it, it may not make the full impression because of the necessary distraction of the subtitles, and the fact that the script and director makes most points only once.  Though I was impressed the first time, it was really the second time, at Paul's house, when certain things started to vibrate.  Then the third time I finally started to notice the kinds of things Casey Cornelius put into his deservedly classic posts about Brokeback Mountain.

This is the languishing Bettermost thread:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,46298.0.html

One thing about the is that the wife's role (the character Mariela) is somewhat more sympathetic than Alma's - she does not get to the point of remarrying and hardening off.  And it is wonderfully acted.  On the Gay Cinema topic on the DC forum there is a real enthusiast for Undertow, JuliaCat, and she said she actually had corresponded with the actress, Tatiana Astengo.  We had a little flurry around Undertow over there a few weeks back and some other people saw it and said they were really moved by it.

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2011, 11:24:21 pm »
It's fun to see someone begin to discover the more complex aspects of the film bit by bit.  She's an English professor, so she's well positioned to be interested in Proulx's writing and to get into things like discussion of symbolism.  But, I don't want to be overbearing or overwhelm her with stuff like that.

In a way, some of it needs to be discovered independently I think.

She has to be interested enough to want to get into it. But I don't think I'd ever have gotten much below the surface without the help of Brokies here and at IMDb. You have to know it's there, to be assured that there's almost nothing in the movie that can't be read in different ways and at different levels.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2011, 12:38:04 am »
Had an amazing evening watching BBM again tonight with a non-Brokie. :)  She started picking up on interesting themes on her own (i.e. wondering about the black and white hats, the viewing position of Aguirre looking through the binoculars relative to our viewing positions as spectators of the movie... and I even brought up the classical references/ Aeneid-Dido discussion relevant to the end of BBM, and she got it.

Totally amazing.  I doubt that she's been converted to being a full-on Brokie... but I think she was very intrigued.

And, I'm happy to say that I cried a bit this time... it hit me this time in the final trailer scene.  Often/ most typically in the past it has been the flashback scene for me that starts the waterworks.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2011, 12:47:00 am »

Two days ago, I was watching The Bridges of Madison County (love the movie, have seen it few times already), and when Clint Eastwood's character tells Meryl Streep's that "this kind of certainty only comes once in a lifetime" [referring to their attraction/love], I couldn't help but think of the boys.  And couldn't help finding all these connections between the two stories...

I still get hit with Brokie fever more often that I thought I would 5 and a half years after first watching the film. 
I don't know what it is; whether it is the changing of the seasons or certain events in my life that trigger it... but it is still there.  :)

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2011, 01:02:16 am »
Two days ago, I was watching The Bridges of Madison County (love the movie, have seen it few times already), and when Clint Eastwood's character tells Meryl Streep's that "this kind of certainty only comes once in a lifetime" [referring to their attraction/love], I couldn't help but think of the boys.  And couldn't help finding all these connections between the two stories...

I still get hit with Brokie fever more often that I thought I would 5 and a half years after first watching the film. 
I don't know what it is; whether it is the changing of the seasons or certain events in my life that trigger it... but it is still there.  :)

Milli! So wonderful to see you here!  :D :) :D  As I was just saying elsewhere, once this thing grabs hold of you ...

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2011, 04:10:28 am »
Yes, lovely to see you!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2011, 08:07:20 pm »
The odd thing is this week I was pulled back into the Brokieverse by questions from a Twenty something guy who is a friend of Dusty's. He had questions about the film "I Love You Phillip Morris" which somehow segued into a discussion of Brokeback Mtn. I ended up giving him one of my copies of the film Brokeback Mtn, and wished him a happy journey.  :)

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2011, 08:11:57 pm »
The odd thing is this week I was pulled back into the Brokieverse by questions from a Twenty something guy who is a friend of Dusty's. He had questions about the film "I Love You Phillip Morris" which somehow segued into a discussion of Brokeback Mtn. I ended up giving him one of my copies of the film Brokeback Mtn, and wished him a happy journey.  :)

Brokeplex! Great so see you posting, and glad to know you're still occasionally roaming around the Brokieverse!  :D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2011, 08:34:40 pm »
Brokeplex! Great so see you posting, and glad to know you're still occasionally roaming around the Brokieverse!  :D

Once it's in your blood, you can never really leave.  ;)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2011, 09:03:11 pm »
Hi Milli and Bill!  Nice to see you passin' through.  LOL at "Brokieverse."  Must add it to the lexicon.  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...