Author Topic: Brokie Fever Relapse  (Read 28732 times)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Re: Brokie Fever Relapse
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2010, 09:28:00 am »

I've never noticed this before, but that object behind LD, looks kind of like a urn for keeping someones' ashes in.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2011, 11:16:11 am »
Heya,
I'm here to report a sneak-attack of Brokie fever that I had yesterday.  I was having drinks with a friend and told her about the Brokie community (including the trips and gatherings that have happened in the past) and even had a small discussion with her about the endless discussions about the meaning of the film/ story.  She's the first non-Brokie I've ever talk to about the Brokie phenomenon.  There are plenty of non-Brokies who know that I like the movie BBM, but not about Brokieness.

I actually teared up a tiny bit while talking about some of it with her... I had thought I was well beyond the stage of tearing up.  But, it was interesting because it reminded me that Brokie fever really can relapse sometimes unexpectedly.

She has only seen the movie one time, and really liked it... but had never really considered some of the things that we've gotten into here in the endless discussions.  I gave her the example of the ambiguity about how Jack died... and it never occurred to her that the scene of the beating/murder was just part of Ennis's imagination and that we don't have evidence that that really happened.  It was fun because she instantly got more intrigued...

She's part of two big fan forums, so I knew that she would understand the forum community thing and the idea of making friends through fan forums.

It really was an interesting experience to have that conversation.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2011, 12:09:24 pm »
Yee-haw, friend! You just may have made a new convert!!  :D
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2011, 01:13:59 pm »
I've been having a bit of a relapse of Brokie fever, too.  It started with the Boston weekend in early June and the comments that sprang up over a couple of pictures I took of us watching the DVD in Paul's living room.  Our new member Brokebacklove4ever started another wave with his (or her) "Thank you" thread.  Our "bump a thread" campaign caused me to re-read some old IMDb offerings, then I re-read the New Cult thread.  I feel another viewing of the movie coming on.  :-*
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2011, 01:32:52 pm »
Cool!

Heya,
I'm here to report a sneak-attack of Brokie fever that I had yesterday.  I was having drinks with a friend and told her about the Brokie community (including the trips and gatherings that have happened in the past) and even had a small discussion with her about the endless discussions about the meaning of the film/ story.  She's the first non-Brokie I've ever talk to about the Brokie phenomenon.  There are plenty of non-Brokies who know that I like the movie BBM, but not about Brokieness.

I actually teared up a tiny bit while talking about some of it with her... I had thought I was well beyond the stage of tearing up.  But, it was interesting because it reminded me that Brokie fever really can relapse sometimes unexpectedly.

She has only seen the movie one time, and really liked it... but had never really considered some of the things that we've gotten into here in the endless discussions.  I gave her the example of the ambiguity about how Jack died... and it never occurred to her that the scene of the beating/murder was just part of Ennis's imagination and that we don't have evidence that that really happened.  It was fun because she instantly got more intrigued...

She's part of two big fan forums, so I knew that she would understand the forum community thing and the idea of making friends through fan forums.

It really was an interesting experience to have that conversation.

http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2011, 02:34:22 pm »
 Yeah, it was a really interesting experience to have that conversation, because my emotional response really was very visceral... the sort of unpredictable/ entirely emotional nature of Brokie fever.

Katherine and I also found ourselves having a small movie-analysis chat on facebook the other night too.  It was so much fun, and it had been quite a long time since I've had that kind of conversation (deep analysis with another Brokie)

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2011, 10:35:56 pm »
Yeah, it was a really interesting experience to have that conversation, because my emotional response really was very visceral... the sort of unpredictable/ entirely emotional nature of Brokie fever.

Katherine and I also found ourselves having a small movie-analysis chat on facebook the other night too.  It was so much fun, and it had been quite a long time since I've had that kind of conversation (deep analysis with another Brokie)

I second that! It WAS fun. And it's been a long time since I've discussed opinions and theories about the movie/story -- about how Jack died, about Ennis and Jack, Lureen and Alma ... I felt a spark of that old 2006 enthusiasm for analysis.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2011, 01:26:42 am »
I happened to be checking something on IMDb tonight and then -- inspired, I guess, by this thread -- I decided to log in and see what was happening on the old BBM board. Needless to say, it was pretty quiet compared to the old days, but not entirely. There'd been some fairly recent posts.

It was kind of sad, though. There were people there wanting to explore various aspects of the movie at a deeper level, but just kind of stumbling their way along, really on the surface, with posts like "What was the significance of the man Jack met at the benefit dinner?" and "Scene with Jack's parents *spoiler*" and "Ending -- did anyone else notice this?" They knew this movie was deeper than most. But they were so far from understanding just how deep, so far from noticing, oh, say, the significance of the road paving scene.

I felt really sorry for those people, deprived of the benefit of reading posts by the genius Brokieologists who helped me to understand just how awesome this movie really is. To all those of you here, as well as those from the past -- Clancy, Casey Cornelius, Diane, Starboardlight, and on and on ... -- whose insights helped guide me toward a deeper appreciation for this movie's (and story's) endless depths and complexities ... thanks!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2011, 01:58:03 am »
I happened to be checking something on IMDb tonight and then -- inspired, I guess, by this thread -- I decided to log in and see what was happening on the old BBM board. Needless to say, it was pretty quiet compared to the old days, but not entirely. There'd been some fairly recent posts.

It was kind of sad, though. There were people there wanting to explore various aspects of the movie at a deeper level, but just kind of stumbling their way along, really on the surface, with posts like "What was the significance of the man Jack met at the benefit dinner?" and "Scene with Jack's parents *spoiler*" and "Ending -- did anyone else notice this?" They knew this movie was deeper than most. But they were so far from understanding just how deep, so far from noticing, oh, say, the significance of the road paving scene.

I felt really sorry for those people, deprived of the benefit of reading posts by the genius Brokieologists who helped me to understand just how awesome this movie really is. To all those of you here, as well as those from the past -- Clancy, Casey Cornelius, Diane, Starboardlight, and on and on ... -- whose insights helped guide me toward a deeper appreciation for this movie's (and story's) endless depths and complexities ... thanks!

Amen.  I have come in from the wilderness and am given understanding.  And Brokies!  :-*
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2011, 08:34:48 pm »
Yeah, those early days soon after the movie had been released really were amazing with the number of people deeply into discussing every aspect of the film.

Well, tomorrow, I'm having a BBM viewing tomorrow night with as so-far non-Brokie.  She's seen the movie one time (long ago) and liked it, but clearly didn't become obsessed with it like we all did.  And, I let her borrow the Proulx story last week, which she's now read.  It's fun to see someone begin to discover the more complex aspects of the film bit by bit.  She's an English professor, so she's well positioned to be interested in Proulx's writing and to get into things like discussion of symbolism.  But, I don't want to be overbearing or overwhelm her with stuff like that.

In a way, some of it needs to be discovered independently I think.

But, yeah, there are so many complicated things (the Classical references, the Asian references...).  I feel like I need to brush up on some of those old discussions.  It's been long enough now, that I'm beginning to forget some of the nuances of those discussions.