Author Topic: Willie Nelson's Lost Highway  (Read 104096 times)

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
Re: Willie Nelson's Lost Highway
« Reply #90 on: November 10, 2009, 02:48:12 am »
I'm looking for your evidence that the singer is being parodied, because it sure sounds like the subject of the song is being ridiculed to me.

I've given you my interpretation of the piece. I'm not sure what else you're asking for.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline Clyde-B

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #91 on: November 10, 2009, 02:53:06 am »
I've given you my interpretation of the piece. I'm not sure what else you're asking for.

It's like the interpretation of any given work, including BBM, you can view it any way you want, but the evidence for the way it is intended is contained within the work itself.

It could be argued that BBM is a warning against being gay, but the preponderance of internal evidence within the work suggests that that was not the author's intention.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #92 on: November 10, 2009, 02:58:51 am »
Remember the point of this website?

"It is my feeling that a story is not finished until it is read, and that the reader finishes it through his or her life experience, prejudices, world view and thoughts." - Annie Proulx

We bring our own life experiences to Brokeback Mountain, and it changed all of us in some way; otherwise, I doubt we'd still be interested in being here.  Everything we see is viewed through the lens of our own experiences.  This is just another example of that.

Let be.

Don't you think we've gone around in circles long enough?
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #93 on: November 10, 2009, 02:59:30 am »
It's like the interpretation of any given work, including BBM, you can view it any way you want, but the evidence for the way it is intended is contained within the work itself.

It could be argued that BBM is a warning against being gay, but the preponderance of internal evidence within the work suggests that that was not the author's intention.

And the problem with reaching consensus is that different people will look at various elements from different angles, glean different meanings, make different assumptions, etc., etc., etc.

I perform music that is hundreds of years old. There is not much consensus on the way a piece should be played or sung. There's not even consensus on what the composer's intent was in a given work.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #94 on: November 10, 2009, 03:07:13 am »
But the trouble is not everyone one is in on the joke, and I am sure that the rednecks who hear this song will take it as an endorsement of their homophobia.

I doubt it. No moreso than gangsta rap encourages black kids to go out and shoot cops.

and it keeps straight men from being naturally affectionate and open with one another.  

I disagree. Straight men are indeed affectionate and open with each other. I wrote about this not long ago. If you understand the masculine vocabulary, its easy to see the affection.

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,18011.msg536199.html#msg536199

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #95 on: November 10, 2009, 03:22:26 am »
We both know my views on your supposed authority on masculinity.  So please belt out another aria because I've heard this one before.

I've never had a problem understanding men. So I don't understand your response, considering that you wrote:

However, I should add that my sense of being different was not simply tied to my attraction.  I was softer, gentler than the other boys.  I didn't want to do the things they did.  To me so many things about them seemed unusual and strange.  I couldn't relate to them.  I didn't understand them, but from the beginning I was interested in them. 

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #96 on: November 10, 2009, 03:30:16 am »
And the problem with reaching consensus is that different people will look at various elements from different angles, glean different meanings, make different assumptions, etc., etc., etc.

I perform music that is hundreds of years old. There is not much consensus on the way a piece should be played or sung. There's not even consensus on what the composer's intent was in a given work.

That is something you and I most definately have in common, Milo! I also perform music that is hundreds of years old. Violin, cello and piano. My favorite is baroque. But anything from between 1550 - 1850 is perfectly fine with me! :)

I think the composer's intent is whatever the listener feels in his heart. That is a personal viewpoint of mine though, although I've held that viewpoint ever since I was a kid. No two people ever interpret music in the exact same way. It speaks to the soul. I think the great composers knew this. :)

This is also probably true of today's music, including that Willie Nelson song. Personally I am appalled by it. Others will not be. That doesn't make their interpretation wrong though....

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #97 on: November 10, 2009, 03:34:36 am »
That is something you and I most definately have in common, Milo! I perform music that is hundreds of years old. Violin, cello and piano. My favorite is baroque. But anything from between 1550 - 1850 is perfectly fine with me! :)

I think the composer's intent is whatever the listener feels in his heart. That is a personal viewpoint of mine though, although I've held that viewpoint ever since I was a kid. No two people ever interpret music in the exact same way. It speaks to the soul. I think the great composers knew this. :)

My voice is a little heavy for baroque opera...to some ears. My core repertoire has been developing in the direction of basso buffo roles from the bel canto literature: Rossini, Bellini, Donizetti. And the roles are a blast to perform!!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #98 on: November 10, 2009, 04:19:24 am »
LMAO at the idea of people listening to Willie in NYC.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

It's the first place I ever heard him.  He's plenty popular there.

This marks the first time I (English minor, mind you) have ever heard double-entendre used in reference to country music lyrics.  American Pie, i.e. folk, yes...country music, no.  It's charm is in the fact that it's not that sophisticated.

Actually, I would say that word play and double entendres are pretty common in country music, not so much in folk music. 

I've never had a problem understanding men. So I don't understand your response, considering that you wrote:

Don't those two sentences contradict each other, considering Gary is a man?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #99 on: November 10, 2009, 05:06:50 am »
My voice is a little heavy for baroque opera...to some ears. My core repertoire has been developing in the direction of basso buffo roles from the bel canto literature: Rossini, Bellini, Donizetti. And the roles are a blast to perform!!

I'll bet they are! :D

I wish I could sing. But I can't. I sound like an old bullfrog. So I let my instruments sing for me...

I sure do wish I could though!
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.