Author Topic: Attention Fang Bangers!: Who's your Favourite Vampire?  (Read 52021 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Attention Fang Bangers!: Who's your Favourite Vampire?
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2009, 03:15:34 pm »
Well, one who scared me shitless (not on your list) was Reggie Nalder who played "Barlow" on "Salem's Lot".

With dentistry that bad, he must be English. ...
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2009, 04:31:04 pm »
Now, now, no slams against our English friends.

I think Louis de Pointe de Lac would also be high on my list, but that would be the Louis I had in my head after reading Interview with the Vampire a couple of years before the film came out. I don't think Brad Pitt did my imaginary, sensuous, dark and despairing Louis any justice at all.

The Louis we meet in Sting's "Moon over Burbon Street" - now that is my Louis. Love that song!

I dunno, I thought Brad Pitt's Louis was perfect.  I was really into he and Claudia's relationship and the strange little homoerotic fuck family thing they had going on.

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2009, 05:35:21 pm »
One of the problems is (and that's just a very personal quirk of mine) - I have a hard time thinking anyone is hot once he dons a top hat for *real* as part of the period costume. Goes for the above, and for any kind of Dickens movie, or any movie version of Les Miserables.

In my mind's version, Louis sure wasn't walking around in a top hat. And he looked darker, more haunted, the eyes weren't so swimming, and there was no lipgloss or whatever they were wearing.

I actually like Tom Cruise the best in the film - I agree with Anne Rice that he did a great job as Lestat. And contrary to many people's expectations at the time.

I was so eager to see that movie, because I was very into the book, the conflicting emotions, the giving in to the darkness in you, the twisted sensuality.... and the film just left me cold. Didn't evoke the feelings of the book at all. Such things sure are very subjective.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2009, 05:47:03 pm »
One of the problems is (and that's just a very personal quirk of mine) - I have a hard time thinking anyone is hot once he dons a top hat for *real* as part of the period costume. Goes for the above, and for any kind of Dickens movie, or any movie version of Les Miserables.

Heh, not me.  I'm really into steampunk and equestrian sports, and I personally own a top (riding) hat and have no problem taking anyone who wears them seriously or seriously hot.

In my mind's version, Louis sure wasn't walking around in a top hat. And he looked darker, more haunted, the eyes weren't so swimming, and there was no lipgloss or whatever they were wearing.

To each their own of course, but then that would beg the question of why Lestat - Mr. Happy Go Lucky himself -  would bother to stay with him if he was so not  Mary Sunshine all the time.  As per the story, he didn't.  He got Claudia to cheer him up and give him a purpose, so their lives together would be pleasant, which they were for - what? - something like 65 years?  So Louis obviously had his good days.   

I actually like Tom Cruise the best in the film - I agree with Anne Rice that he did a great job as Lestat. And contrary to many people's expectations at the time.

I agree Tom Cruise did a great job with the character, but were the production values so cheap that they couldn't afford a good human hair wig/extensions for him?  His blond hair looked so fake. overbleached and stringy.

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2009, 06:05:24 pm »
I agree Tom Cruise did a great job with the character, but were the production values so cheap that they couldn't afford a good human hair wig/extensions for him?  His blond hair looked so fake. overbleached and stringy.

They were probably trying to obliquely show the dangers to the lack of a balanced and varied diet. How relying on one single source of nutrition will endanger your appearance.

And I bet all that blood caused yellowing of the fangs teeth too.

Yep, Lestat's really a subtle anti-health warning poster boy.

;D

btw - (more on my personal quirks): The equestrian costume top hats (modern and/or historic versions) are not by any means put-offs in my book. In fact, I think the (Victorian era?) period costume riding costume for women, with a dainty top hat with a scarf or veil over, and rather fancy decorated dresses etc. lookes especially gorgeous and stylish (and probably as health-endangering as hell, but that's women's wear through the ages for you).

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2009, 06:18:38 pm »
What is it with vampires and Top hats anyway?

Here's Gary Oldman's Dracula:

And here's his beloved in her Victorian incarnation, sporting somthing very akin to a top hat herself:

Actually I have to admit that Gary Oldman completely pulls off the looking-hot-while-wearing-top-hat. No mean feat. That man just can't do anything wrong!!  8)

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2009, 06:20:57 pm »
They were probably trying to obliquely show the dangers to the lack of a balanced and varied diet. How relying on one single source of nutrition will endanger your appearance.

And I bet all that blood caused yellowing of the fangs teeth too.

Yep, Lestat's really a subtle anti-health warning poster boy.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

btw - (more on my personal quirks): The equestrian costume top hats (modern and/or historic versions) are not by any means put-offs in my book. In fact, I think the (Victorian era?) period costume riding costume for women, with a dainty top hat with a scarf or veil over, and rather fancy decorated dresses etc. lookes especially gorgeous and stylish (and probably as health-endangering as hell, but that's women's wear through the ages for you).

So you like the women's wear, just not the men's wear?

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2009, 06:22:10 pm »
What is it with vampires and Top hats anyway?

Heh, it's not the vampires, it's the time period they live in.  EVERYone who could afford/was anyone wore them.

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2009, 06:42:12 pm »
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

So you like the women's wear, just not the men's wear?

Yeah. I'm consistent in my apparel bias.

Heh, it's not the vampires, it's the time period they live in.  EVERYone who could afford/was anyone wore them.

Everyone who couldn't, too - at least if the Hollywood version of the first half of the 1800's is to be beleived. In every Dickens rendition or Les Mis there are any number of poor guys walking about wearing dented, miserable-looking top hats.

*shudders* ;)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2009, 06:42:27 pm »
Now, now, no slams against our English friends.

That wasn't a slam against our English friends, only against legendarily bad English dentistry.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.