Author Topic: Get Over It, GLAAD -Article  (Read 7660 times)

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Get Over It, GLAAD -Article
« on: July 21, 2009, 03:41:54 pm »
Get Over It, GLAAD
With its statement against Sacha Baron Cohen's Bruno, GLAAD seems to be saying: We’re about to get marriage rights; Don’t screw it up by putting on lip gloss and short-shorts.

By Stephen Milioti
An Advocate.com exclusive posted July 21, 2009

GLAAD is anything but. Its latest big target is the movie Bruno, which, as you likely know, features Sacha Baron Cohen as Bruno Gehard, a flamboyant, uninhibited Austrian fashion reporter who is very gay. In many ways he's the ultimate outsider -- a hot pink contrast who stands sharply apart from black, white and gray life. He puts on a little lip gloss. As is all of Cohen’s work, this one is satire.

After seeing a screening of it, knowing it is satire, GLAAD issued a statement, attributed to its incoming president Jarrett Barrios.

“Clearly, the filmmakers wanted to use satire to highlight and challenge homophobia,” part of the statement read. “But their film also reinforces troubling attitudes about gay people in ways that run counter to the intentions of the filmmakers.”

Here’s where things get a little much, though. The statement ends this way: "Some members of our community will not be offended by this film. Others, like those of us at GLAAD, find it frustrating and discouraging to be confronted with a movie that wants to increase America’s discomfort with homophobia, but which for much of America, seems likely to decrease its comfort with gay people.”

Wait -- “much of America”? “Seems”? Was a survey conducted at a Walmart or something? Seems not.

And what's "our community"? Is there just one?

I have some burning questions for GLAAD, who discusses Bruno vs the "public" like the movie is as inherent in American's everyday lives as touching a doorknob. Do you really think that the movie's target audience that is going to elect to spend $10.50 to see a movie about a flamboyant gay man is going to have their "comfort" decreased? Will hordes of people really come out of the theater deciding not to speak to their gay friends and co-workers anymore? Probably not. The people who shell out for Bruno will probably accept him, and his anal sex references, pretty well. The audience that wants to stay away will stay away. I have a news flash - I walked by a bunch of construction workers on the street the other day and they were very much not talking about making plans to go see Bruno this coming weekend.

Is there a chance that homophobes will wander in to the movie, see it, then make fun of gay people? Of course. That will inevitably happen, but it will probably be very rare. And if a fictional character makes someone angry, is that person worth saving?

I know, of course, that when GLAAD was denouncing the image of Bruno, they weren't just talking about the actual movie, but rather, the ads as well -- those insidious ads, which straight people will watch between innings! Yes, some people will watch a Bruno ad and say, "Faggot." But does that mean we should also ban Will & Grace reruns? Honestly, Jack, with all his thinly veiled anal-sex references and lack of interest in monogamy, is about as out-there as Bruno.

The people who are going to vote against Proposition-8-like measures are going to vote against it, period; Bruno (and Jack) are not going to push them over the fence on that. The people who don't like Bruno don't deserve to be coddled, or have their "comfort" considered. In even wording it this way, GLAAD is pandering to those people -- since when do we gays have to provide “comfort” for straight people?

I'm slightly troubled by something that is going on right now in gay activism in general. As gays are winning rights -- thankfully so, and there are many more battles to be won -- there is evidence of gays needing to "play it safe" in order to gain acceptance. Just keep those movies about fellatio-obsessed, bob-haired art directors away, and we will finally be able to adopt children. It also doesn't help that Bruno is not only out-there -- he's extremely feminine -- something many gay men go to great lengths to try not to be, often out of self-loathing, or fear of not being accepted.

The problem I have with the majority of the GLAAD statement is that it seems to express an unspoken discomfort with feminine, over-the-top gay men. Like, Come on guys, we’re about to get marriage rights; Don’t screw it up by putting on lip gloss and short-shorts. I’ve encountered this in the gay community at large -- there are some gay guys in pressed khakis who are very afraid of overstepping the line and being considered feminine. They drive Saabs and they are in domestic partnerships and they do not want to be questioned or encounter any problems. I decreased the comfort of one such gay guy the other day when I was walking my dog, and encountered him, striking up a dog conversation. He was new to town, and wanted to know where to take his dog for doggie day care. He mentioned a place that’s really frilly, and I said so, Oh, that place is very fancy. Your Viczlas will come home with little pink bows. Oh, he said, We definitely don’t need any pink bows.

And that was basically the end of the meeting.   

Here’s another problem, which again really comes into play with the “comfort” part of the GLAAD’s statement. In our great cities and towns, there are some gay men who are like Bruno... some nearly dead-ringers. Like Paul, my wildly flamboyant gay friend from college who was an acting major and wore leopard. He was the best guy -- really smart, funny, sweet, and biting all at once -- and he happened to be a lot like Bruno.

Should he be banned as well... or not allowed to go into Whole Foods for fear of decreasing the comfort of a straight man in the dairy aisle?

I’m not going to sit here and be a big Bruno billboard either, and defend every inch of the movie as the greatest work of art ever. I know that the movie goes really far -- all of Cohen’s characters do. I’m not saying that some people won’t be offended, and I'm not saying it's the best movie of all time.

As it stands, though, for GLAAD to go after a fictional flamboyant fashion director as a possible reason for gays not gaining acceptance shows a markedly socially conservative tone right now in the gay-rights movement. The historic cry of, We’re here, we’re queer, get used to it -- which relied on gays going just a little too far, to be a little too shocking, in order to be heard -- is now, We’re here, we’re queer, and we do not want to offend you in any way.

That's not comforting, especially for gay outsiders who put on a little lip gloss.

Source:   http://www.advocate.com/exclusive_detail_ektid99827.asp

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Get Over It, GLAAD -Article
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 06:54:23 pm »
We’re here, we’re queer, and we do not want to offend you in any way.

I wonder if it's any different from say like immigrants who wanted to assimilate to get along better in society and those who did not - or not as much as the original immigrants did.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 09:56:56 pm »
I don't have problems with flamboyant folks.  What disturbed me about this movie was how he (for lack of a better term) "baited" folks into some very uncomfortable situations, and then all of the "baiting" failed to produce anything but anger.  It was a very bizarre experiment that ultimately failed, and hurt both sides of the fence.

But at the same time I can't stop laughing at some of it.  :laugh:

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 07:03:16 am »
What disturbed me about this movie was how he (for lack of a better term) "baited" folks into some very uncomfortable situations, and then all of the "baiting" failed to produce anything but anger.  It was a very bizarre experiment that ultimately failed, and hurt both sides of the fence.

If the character Bruno were a straight dude, and pulled the same stunts I've seen in the trailers, he'd get the same reaction from people. They seem to be reacting to his absurd behavior, not his sexual orientation.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 07:24:51 am »
If the character Bruno were a straight dude, and pulled the same stunts I've seen in the trailers, he'd get the same reaction from people. They seem to be reacting to his absurd behavior, not his sexual orientation.

and haven't we seen that already?  I mean, I haven't seen "Bruno" so I don't know, but isn't it in a similar vein as the "Jackass" movies?

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 08:02:27 am »
and haven't we seen that already?  I mean, I haven't seen "Bruno" so I don't know, but isn't it in a similar vein as the "Jackass" movies?

Its certainly heading in that direction.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 10:50:52 am »

I haven't seen it either, but it appears that the boxoffice response is somewhat underwhelming.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 11:04:07 am »
I haven't seen "Bruno" so I don't know, but isn't it in a similar vein as the "Jackass" movies?

I don't even have an interest in seeing it, but from what I've read, isn't it essentially a rehash of Borat with a different character?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 11:38:41 am »
I don't even have an interest in seeing it, but from what I've read, isn't it essentially a rehash of Borat with a different character?

from what I understand, yes, and I didn't see "Borat" either.  I guess it's "borat" with a gay slant.

At one point, "Bruno" is in an Army barracks, with two sargents (I believe) making him scrub the floor with a toothbrush.  He is wearing a belt that does not conform to the Army uniform.

Sgt:  "What is that belt?  DG?"

Bruno:  "DG.....Dolce and Gabana...hello!?!?!"

Sgts:  "Hello?"

::)

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 12:14:47 am »

Well, it mostly goes beyond that, and it is about sexual orientation.

MAJOR SPOILERS

One of the most famous "incidents" in the movie is where they staged a WWF Wrestling showdown called "Sraight Dave's Man on Man Smackdown" or something like that in Arkansas.  The advertisied it around town as a $5 admission, $1 beer, and the promises of scantily clad women.   What it then turns into on purpose is sudden gay sex with the host Bruno dressed as "Straight Dave" and his "lover" in the ring, and it's quite explicit.  Kissing, licking eachothers nipples, going for a blow job, etc.  The crowd becomes absolutely unglued and furious.  Violence breaks out.  It's amazing they weren't killed.

There are also lots of other over the top gay sex scenes depicted, that are meant to be quite in your face.  Lots of dildo action, leather play, and even a champaign bottle up the butt. 

However, it's quite funny when they're handcuffed together in leather gear and they go running after the Westboro Baptist Church members, and they are freaking out trying to run from them.   :laugh:

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2009, 01:24:13 am »
Though I haven't actually seen the movie, I feel like I have seen it already. Bruno is everywhere  you look here in Sydney at the moment - on the back of buses, on billboards, on bus stops, and god knows where else. I wouldn't mind, but most of the advertising features pics of Bruno from the rear, in hot pants, bending over.  :o  And God Almighty that guy has one of the most singularly unattractive arses I have ever seen on a bloke!  :P   :(  For that reason alone, I will not  be seeing the movie. I'm that  shallow!  ::)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2009, 09:34:18 pm »
And God Almighty that guy has one of the most singularly unattractive arses I have ever seen on a bloke!  :P   :(  For that reason alone, I will not  be seeing the movie. I'm that  shallow!  ::)

:laugh: :laugh:

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 10:22:18 pm »
Though I haven't actually seen the movie, I feel like I have seen it already. Bruno is everywhere  you look here in Sydney at the moment - on the back of buses, on billboards, on bus stops, and god knows where else. I wouldn't mind, but most of the advertising features pics of Bruno from the rear, in hot pants, bending over.  :o  And God Almighty that guy has one of the most singularly unattractive arses I have ever seen on a bloke!  :P   :(  For that reason alone, I will not  be seeing the movie. I'm that  shallow!  ::)

You think so Kerry? It seems like I remember thinking he had a very cute ass. Maybe I'm thinking about somebody else's ass.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2009, 10:44:02 pm »
You think so Kerry? It seems like I remember thinking he had a very cute ass. Maybe I'm thinking about somebody else's ass.

:laugh:  I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one, David.  :-* Beauty is in the eye  ;) of the beholder.  ;)  Using my Christopher Meloni Buns of Steel  scale,  :D  where Christopher is a perfect 10,  :D  I would give Bruno a minus score.  :P   :(   ;)   :laugh:

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2009, 01:51:56 am »
:laugh:  I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one, David.  :-* Beauty is in the eye  ;) of the beholder.  ;)  Using my Christopher Meloni Buns of Steel  scale,  :D  where Christopher is a perfect 10,  :D  I would give Bruno a minus score.  :P   :(   ;)   :laugh:

Tsk tsk! Just look at that picture! I don't see any ass at all! It's non existant!

Maybe it's the pants he's wearing. They don't exactly show it off, now do they? :-\

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2009, 02:08:23 am »

Tsk tsk! Just look at that picture! I don't see any ass at all! It's non existant!

Maybe it's the pants he's wearing. They don't exactly show it off, now do they? :-\

It looks like a big yellow diaper and just about as attractive.  :P  :P   :P
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2009, 02:14:18 am »
It looks like a big yellow diaper and just about as attractive.  :P  :P   :P

Well okay. We agree about one thing - he has no ass.

But his face is cute. I'm positive of THAT anyway! :laugh: