Author Topic: Animal News!  (Read 31345 times)

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
Hedgehogs Adopted by Hairbrush
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2009, 01:08:57 pm »
Orphaned hedgehogs adopt cleaning brush as their mother

Four tiny orpahned hedgehogs are snuggling up to the bristles of a cleaning brush - because they think it's their mother.

The four-inch-long creatures are being hand-reared by staff at the New Forest Otter, Owl and Wildlife Park in Ashurst, Hants.

Workers say Mary, Mungo, Midge and Slappy get comfort from playing with the centre's cleaning brush and enjoy rubbing against it.

The smells on the brush, which is used to sweep a yard, remind the hedgehogs of their natural habitat while the texture reminds them of their mother.

Manager John Crooks, 41, said: "They are a bit like human babies - they need activities to keep them busy.

"Because they have very poor eyesight you have to appeal to their sense of smell and touch by giving them different scents and textures."

"They like natural scents and have enjoyed playing with our cleaning brushes, soil, leaves, flower pots and the like."

"They particularly seem to enjoy rubbing against the brush."

"It may sound odd but I imagine the bristles feel a bit like their mum."

He added: "Three of the hedgehogs came to us because their mum was sadly crushed by a council palette truck at one of their depots.

"They are only a couple of weeks old."

"The fourth one is a little bit older and was found wandering around a back garden in the middle of the day."

"The home owner left it alone for a while to see if it would find its mum but after a few hours it was still by itself so she brought it in to us."

The hedgehogs will be fed until they are full-sized and then they will be released back into the wild.

John said: "We are feeding them milk powder mixed with kitten food - but they don't like fish flavour - they prefer nice meaty chunks."

"When they get older they will move onto proper cat food and will occasionally be given slugs and snails as a treat."

"There has been a real surge in slugs this year because of the wet weather so hopefully that will mean a good year for hedgehogs too."

"I would urge people not to kill garden slugs with pellets because the poison will be passed on to hedgehogs and a build-up of poison could be fatal."

"If the weather is good they could be released in a month or so, otherwise we will feed them over the winter so they do not hibernate and then relase them in spring."

He added: "They are quite a handful and each has their own character."

"One is quite snappy and another fairly sleepy."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-478026/Orphaned-hedgehogs-adopt-cleaning-brush-mother.html

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Animal News!
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2009, 01:25:14 pm »
How cute! I wonder whether they make good pets?  ???
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2009, 02:14:32 pm »
I don't know, but many people like having wild ones in the neighborhood because they eat slugs.    :P

Offline optom3

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2009, 08:42:45 pm »
This thread is just too cute, well apart from the monster bunny which is frankly, disturbing.  :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
Political Pundit Puppy! Find Out Who He Won't Take a Cookie From
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2009, 10:45:19 pm »
This looks cute! I can't watch the video though so let me know if it is any good! :D

From Paw Nation -

Puppy as a Political Pundit?

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XivhwO_zWWg[/youtube]

There's that old wives tale about owners looking like their dogs, but can you and your dog share more than just looks?

In the video above, one Kentucky woman tries to convince us that her dog Opie has an opinion on our current president. This got us wondering -- should pets become unsuspecting campaigners?

We have a feeling Bo Obama would have something to say about this.

http://www.pawnation.com/2009/08/24/dog-as-political-pundit?icid=main|htmlws-main|dl3|link4|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pawnation.com%2F2009%2F08%2F24%2Fdog-as-political-pundit

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2009, 10:58:03 pm »
I wonder what's going on off camera.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2009, 12:30:39 am »
I can't watch the video. Was there some hanky panky going on in the background?

Maybe the dog REALLY IS an Obama fan and she just doens't want us to know it!

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2009, 12:23:57 am »
David, the dog is supposedly anti-Obama.  A woman was offering her dog treats -- little pieces of carrot, I think -- saying, "Here's a treat from Mom," after which the dog took it out of her hand.  Then she offered another treat, saying, "Here's a treat from Dad," and again the dog took it.  When she said, "Here's one from Barack Obama, the dog wouldn't take it, turning his head away.  She did it a couple of times, and each time she offered a treat and said it from Obama, the dog wouldn't take it until she said it was from someone else.   

I think someone was in the background doing hand signals or something so the dog wouldn't take the treat if she said it was coming from Obama.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2009, 02:32:00 am »
David, the dog is supposedly anti-Obama.  A woman was offering her dog treats -- little pieces of carrot, I think -- saying, "Here's a treat from Mom," after which the dog took it out of her hand.  Then she offered another treat, saying, "Here's a treat from Dad," and again the dog took it.  When she said, "Here's one from Barack Obama, the dog wouldn't take it, turning his head away.  She did it a couple of times, and each time she offered a treat and said it from Obama, the dog wouldn't take it until she said it was from someone else.   

I think someone was in the background doing hand signals or something so the dog wouldn't take the treat if she said it was coming from Obama.

I rather think she trained her dog not to take a treat when she says a specific word (=stop-word). It's not that hard*. My dog doesn't eat a treat laying in front of him when I say "No" (pretty creative, eh? ;)).
For a dog it doesn't make a difference whether the stop-word is "No" or "Barack Obama" or "spaceship".

Watch the video again. The phase of "you're not allowed to take a treat" begins with "Barack Obama" and ends with "Okay". On hearing OK, the dog already turns around its head again and is ready to take the next treat (before she says it's from mom). "Brack Obama" is the stop-word and "Okay" is the commando for "well done, this excercise is over", meaning he's allowed to take the treats again.

*But the performance is very well done. My dog is hanging over the treat, drooling like mad and ready to explode evey second, lol. At least I always fear he might explode (or implode) if I don't redeem him within the next few seconds :laugh:.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male