Author Topic: "The Wings" remixes get slaughtered with with Bad reviews on iTunes.  (Read 16208 times)

Surf

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?id=135447791&s=143441

You need iTunes installed on your system (Mac users, it's already there, Windows, you must intall yourself) for this link to work.

Offline Nicole

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Nicole R.
    • MY MySpace Page
Re: "The Wings" remixes get slaughtered with with Bad reviews on iTunes.
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2006, 11:17:20 pm »
As they should - they make my ears bleed.
   Cowboys do it better

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2006, 11:45:02 pm »
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?id=135447791&s=143441

You need iTunes installed on your system (Mac users, it's already there, Windows, you must intall yourself) for this link to work.

I didn't really like most of the remixes either.  It would be like making the Celine Dion Titanic song into a club remix. :)

The Wings is, for me, the most moving song on the entire soundtrack.  The swelling strings at the end just really do it for me, and throwing a drum beat over the top of that just destroys the whole moving feeling.

If anything, I wanted that particular song to last far longer, but in its original feel.
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Nicole

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Nicole R.
    • MY MySpace Page
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2006, 12:26:46 am »
It would be like making the Celine Dion Titanic song into a club remix. :)

Phillip, I am not making this up:  I distinctly remember a dance version of My Heart Will Go On at various clubs in Toronto around the time that movie came out - I can still hear it in my head (unfortunately).
   Cowboys do it better

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2006, 01:15:05 am »
The producer Jakatta (who also goes by other famous DJ names) does a great job of remixing movie themes.  He did a great job with American Beauty and Shawshank Redemption.  I was so sure he would do The Wings, but hasn't.  This remix of The Wings is awful, awfu, awful.  Any song can be decently remixed if the production choices are right.
"yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"

Surf

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2006, 01:23:14 am »
The producer Jakatta (who also goes by other famous DJ names) does a great job of remixing movie themes.  He did a great job with American Beauty and Shawshank Redemption.  I was so sure he would do The Wings, but hasn't.  This remix of The Wings is awful, awfu, awful.  Any song can be decently remixed if the production choices are right.

I think Santaolalla's music should be left alone, and apparently so do most of the reviewers on iTunes.  It's one of the things you hear over and over again.  One even said "good way to make the movie a joke".

No kidding.

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2006, 01:24:16 am »
It would be like making the Celine Dion Titanic song into a club remix. :)

Phillip, I am not making this up:  I distinctly remember a dance version of My Heart Will Go On at various clubs in Toronto around the time that movie came out - I can still hear it in my head (unfortunately).

>:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D   EVIL!!!   >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D

A P.S. - I just added my two cents to the review pile-on.  One star and a comment entitled "Sacrilege."  They apparently review comments before they make them public.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 01:33:50 am by Phillip »
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2006, 02:15:12 am »
I think I am the only clubber here.  I enjoy a good remix.  Always have.  To me It's not evil, and not the end of the world.  Seriously folks, I'd love to hear a great remix of all of the Santaolalla soundtrack.
"yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2006, 02:26:55 am »
Flash, I've said it before - I love how you stick to your opinions, repeat as necessary, but never (hardly, hardly, hardly ever) get hostile about it.  You are really a model of assertiveness without aggression.  And you know what?  (I think I may have already said this too) You have caused me to change my mind and see things new ways with your style of declaration.  Most notably is Ennis Jacksexual vs. gay.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2006, 02:48:07 am »
Without even hearing it, I have to say I'm glad--yes, glad--the remix is being "slaughtered." To turn that incredibly beautiful, haunting piece of music into a dance tune is just wrong.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.