Author Topic: Stop the Hate  (Read 10539 times)

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
Re: Gay Sherlock Holmes
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 05:05:03 pm »
Aren't critics supposed to review movies AFTER they've been made?

I don't think he's reviewing it. I think he's speculating on a business decision that Ritchie and his studio are FAR better prepared to make.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 05:25:57 pm »
I don't think he's reviewing it. I think he's speculating on a business decision that Ritchie and his studio are FAR better prepared to make.

I realise that.   He's just pissed about the possible homoeroticism in the film (I'll have to see it to believe it, mind you.)  I'm sure he doesn't give a hoot about Guy Ritchie's movies being successful or not, he's just pushing his agenda.

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2009, 05:33:32 pm »
Oh well...  I'm sure Ritchie & Company will change up the script and re-shoot the whole thing now that Michael Medved has weighed in.   

::)  ::)  ::)

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2009, 05:37:23 pm »
I'm sure he doesn't give a hoot about Guy Ritchie's movies being successful or not, he's just pushing his agenda.

. . . and giving the film some nice advance PR. 

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2009, 05:47:44 pm »
. . . and giving the film some nice advance PR. 

Yep. Medved has got to be aware that whining about it is just adding to the pre-release buzz.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2009, 07:46:24 pm »
As much as I hate to say it, Medved is partly right. Straight men will not be interested in seeing M2M intimacy onscreen. I'm sure that this resistance diminishes with younger demographics, but its there. On the other hand, I completely disagree about his assessment of women. Even if some women don't find M2M intimacy appealing, I doubt they will find it distasteful enough to avoid seeing the film.

As one who has lived under the yoke of straight men and what they want to see, screw them, bring it on.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2009, 08:02:04 pm »
Well, don't get your hopes too high.  Bed sharing among men was common back then.  As a young man, Abraham Lincoln shared a bed with his friend Joshua Speed for three years. 

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2009, 08:11:24 pm »
Well, don't get your hopes too high.  Bed sharing among men was common back then.  As a young man, Abraham Lincoln shared a bed with his friend Joshua Speed for three years. 

That's very true. Platonic intimacy between men was quite different in the 19th century. 

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2009, 10:32:36 pm »
I am currently reading The Hound of the Baskervilles and finding quite a bit of "buddy movie-plus" material in it. Also, saw the trailer for Sherlock Holmes...looks enticing!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline bailey1205

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2009, 10:38:29 pm »
I'll have to put it on my must see movie list.

;D