Author Topic: Modern Family on ABC  (Read 7218 times)

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
Modern Family on ABC
« on: August 04, 2009, 10:38:26 pm »
New this fall on ABC.

http://abc.go.com/fallpreview/index?pn=modernfamily

Modern Family

series premiere
wednesday september 23rd 9/8c

Cast: Ed O'Neill as Jay, Sofia Vergara as Gloria, Jesse Tyler Ferguson as Mitchell, Eric Stonestreet as Cameron, Ty Burrell as Phil, Julie Bowen as Claire, Sarah Hyland as Haley, Rico Rodriguez as Manny, Nolan Gould as Luke and Ariel Winter as Alex.

Today's American families come in all shapes and sizes. Just ask these three families.

Jay recently married Gloria. Now Jay is trying hard to keep up with his much younger and hotter Colombian wife, along with her passionate pre-teen son, Manny. Claire is having a hard time raising her own family. Her husband Phil is great, except that he thinks he's "down" with their three kids, much to all their embarrassment. And, Mitchell and his enthusiastic partner Cameron have just made a major life change by adopting a Vietnamese baby named Lily.

Shot from the perspective of an unseen documentary filmmaker, this comedy takes a modern look at the complications that come with being a family in 2009. Steven Levitan (Just Shoot Me) and Christopher Lloyd (Frasier) invite you into the sometimes warm and sometimes twisted embrace of modern day families.

The series is produced by Twentieth Century Fox Television. Steven Levitan and Christopher Lloyd are executive producers.

I have to give ABC credit. They have been leading the major networks with characters who are sexual minorities. Let's hope they can pull this off without plunging the male couple into stereotypes.

There's a trailer at the link.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Modern Family on ABC
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 10:49:27 pm »
This is one of my favorite shows, I watch it every Wednesday night.

I love the relationship of Mitch and Cam, and I always find something to laugh at every week.

One of my favorite episodes was when Lily (Mitch & Cam's daughter) learned he "f" word before a wedding she was to be in as the flower girl.

LOL   :laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 10:50:18 pm »
Here is a video, about 2 minutes long, showing Eric Stonestreet getting into character as Cam.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIPf1YdD6r8[/youtube]

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 08:44:34 am »
I don't have cable or broadcast TV, but I've bought the Seasons 1 thru 3 DVD's each year as they come out.  My fave character is Cam.  I would kill to know someone like him in real life.  Such splendid performances from the entire cast.  Riotous show.  Can't wait for release of Season 4 to add to my collection.
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 11:58:22 am »
Let's hope they can pull this off without plunging the male couple into stereotypes.

Nope. ABC went ahead and did the easy thing.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 03:16:24 am »
I love this series. :)

Nope. ABC went ahead and did the easy thing.

Comedy is to a large part based on stereotyping and/or contradicting them and playing with them. Take Rachel Green from Friends (the self-centered shopping queen), the nerds of Big Bang Theory, the nerdy and the girly daughter from Modern Family and their resulting conflicts, take Gloria as the high-spirited, hot-tempered Latina, and on and on it goes.

If you take offense on all those stereotyped characters I guess you don't have much to laugh about.

As far as Cam and Mitch go, I think they're portayed mostly as regular guys, doing the typical suburban thing: build a house, raise a family. Sure, Cam's shirts are outrageously flamboyant and he can be quite a drama-queen, and Mitch used to be a figure skater - but Cam also grew up on a farm, loves sports and can be more hands-on at dealing with a dove in their daughter's room whereas Mitch is mostly pretty level-headed and low-key.

One part that I really do like about the series is the Jay character and how he deals with stuff. He is old-school and clearly isn't totally comfortable with "the gay thing", he's not the type who would ever march in a LGBT rights parade - but he loves and accepts his son and his partner and he is really trying to be understanding and supportive. I think he is typical (stereotypical? - here we go again, lol) for many men of his generation, who were raised with a totally different worldview regarding women, men and gender roles.
Same goes for his relationship with Gloria - he not only loves, but adores her. Yet he sometimes shows prejudices against Columbians/Latinos and sometimes just doesn't want to know about Gloria's traditions. "We live in the USA and we do things the AMERCAN WAY, period."

But then it is Mitch who falls for gay stereotypes and convinces Jay that one of Jay's buddies is also gay. Jay first doesn't want any of it, then kind of shakes his head, sighs and grudgingly accepts it. And then Jay does the real friend thing and talks to his friend, being very supportive. Of course, that conversation goes hilariously wrong because said friend is not gay after all.
Playing with stereotypes - with hilarious results.

This Jay character, who clearly does have weaknesses and is far from perfect is also the guy who goes out to the sidewalk where his stepson (Manny) waits for his biological father who will again leave Manny in the lurch - and Jay lies for Manny's father, ditches his plans of a romatic day alone with Gloria, is simply there for Manny and on top of that, leaves the hero status to Manny's biological father instead of telling Manny the truth because he knows it would hurt Manny. Gotta love that man!

But to me, the best thing about the whole show is that is simply funny as hell. Which is the first thing a comedy/sitcom ought to be. :)

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 08:03:44 am »
very well said, Chrissi!

Isn't there an expression about stereotypes having a grain of truth to them?

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 09:24:23 am »
Yes, Chrissi, you nailed it.  And man-oh-man, you're a really big fan too, to remember all those episodes and the details.  Did Season 4 just end in your country too, or is it delayed over there, like they sometimes do with U.S./European-made shows?

I can also see part of Milo's side.  I am occasionally taken aback with some of Cam's actions as being rather excessively flamboyant.  But my resultant laughter is coming from his ability as an actor to make me wish on some level that I could be so unabashedly MY SELF, like Cameron is.  He OWNS that role.  I'm not laughing at the stereotype; I'm laughing at HIM.
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 12:39:52 am »
very well said, Chrissi!

Isn't there an expression about stereotypes having a grain of truth to them?

Thank you. :)

I don't know about a saying, but stereotypes are based on reality, otherwise they wouldn't come into existence. They can become problematic in fiction when characters are one-dimensional and nothing but the stereotype (because that gets boring quickly), and in reality when a stereotype becomes a prejudice. Or in other words, when all members of a respective group are awaited to behave like the stereotype.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 12:45:19 am »
Yes, Chrissi, you nailed it.  And man-oh-man, you're a really big fan too, to remember all those episodes and the details.  Did Season 4 just end in your country too, or is it delayed over there, like they sometimes do with U.S./European-made shows?

We only had seasons 1 and 2 so far and are currently watching reruns of them. That's why they are so fresh in my mind, lol. :laugh: