Author Topic: Favorite Filmmakers  (Read 11666 times)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Favorite Filmmakers
« on: August 05, 2006, 12:41:59 pm »
Whose work do you admire the most?  Of course Ang Lee is at the top of probably most of our lists.  I also chose Joel Coen and Stanley Kubrick.  But all of the ones I listed are my favorites, really.  Please let me know yours if they're missing from the list.
No more beans!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Favorite Filmmakers
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2006, 12:17:43 am »
Heya Bud,

I voted for four including Ang Lee (of course), Neil Jordan, Woody Allen and Sofia Coppola.  I'd like to add a write-in candidate (actually candidates)... Merchant/ Ivory.  I love their movies.
 :)
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2006, 01:25:36 am »
If I were only allowed one to vote for, that would have been easier to choose - John Sayles, hands down. 

I have a write-in candidate too - Nicole Holofcener.

Three people voted, no overlap so far, except for Ang.  :)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2006, 01:27:51 am by Ellemeno »

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 06:52:40 pm »
I just added James Ivory and Nicole Holofcener for you.  :)
No more beans!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 08:31:28 pm »
Hey Bud,
Thanks!  But, now I don't see how I can go back and change my vote.  I'm not the most computer savy BetterMostian on the block... so maybe I'm just missing something.

cheers
Amanda
 :-\
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 09:17:20 pm »
Hey Bud,
Thanks!  But, now I don't see how I can go back and change my vote.  I'm not the most computer savy BetterMostian on the block... so maybe I'm just missing something.

cheers
Amanda
 :-\

I've never been able to figure that out either.  I honestly think it's a feature that just plain don't work.  If only they'd had me validate this system.  Not there's a bug that can throw me.
No more beans!

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2006, 09:51:00 am »
George Cukor, William Wyler and Elia Kazan are in my personal pantheon.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2006, 06:32:33 pm »
Hey Bud,
Thanks!  But, now I don't see how I can go back and change my vote.

It's an option that the person setting up the poll in the first place can choose to allow or not.  I'm not sure if the poll-setter-upper can go back in later to change or not.

Thanks for Nicole Holofcener, Barb!  I just saw her Friends with Money and was wowed by it.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2006, 07:16:11 pm »
It's an option that the person setting up the poll in the first place can choose to allow or not.  I'm not sure if the poll-setter-upper can go back in later to change or not.

Thanks for Nicole Holofcener, Barb!  I just saw her Friends with Money and was wowed by it.

Actually, I did choose that option when I first set up the poll.  But it's weird - when I go back to edit it to add new directors, that option isn't even displayed anymore, like at all.  Sorry I can't help more (or some) with this...

I really enjoyed Friends With Money, too, especially Frances McDormand and Catherine Keener.  I could relate to both of their characters on different levels.  I know that if I had to work with my husband on a daily basis, for example, not only would we split up almost instantaneously, we'd kill each other.  Or maybe we'd divorce and kill each other (couldn't really do it the other way around, could we?)  I really liked her "Walking and Talking" and "Lovely and Amazing," too.  I love talky films when the writer gets how people *really* talk, and she definitely does.
No more beans!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2006, 01:56:50 pm »
I really liked her "Walking and Talking" and "Lovely and Amazing," too.  I love talky films when the writer gets how people *really* talk, and she definitely does.

I haven't seen Walking and Talking yet.  Lovely and Amazing was painful and amazing.  I love all that talking too. 

One of my favorite moments in Friends with Money that has stuck with me is almost silent, though: Near the end, when the Catherine Keener character is up at her desk writing - alone, because her husband has moved out - she looks over at his now-empty desk, and feels momentarily wistful for him.  She starts to get up to go over and (maybe) caress the desk, stubs her toe, and exclaims in pain.  The nanny, from the other room, calls out something like, "Are you alright Mrs. [Whatever]?"  This instantly aborts Catherine Keener's misplaced sentimentality, as it reminds her of the time she cut her finger with the knife in the kitchen right in front of that asshole husband, who refused to ask if she was alright, or express concern.

Re the poll weirdness, you could PM Phillip or John Passanti and ask, it's beyond me.  Wish I could do it.