Author Topic: TOTW 06/09: What would you say to Ennis?  (Read 30768 times)

Offline miha

• Don't Say Much
Re: TOTW 06/09: What would you say to Ennis?
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2009, 11:14:22 pm »
Both of you are always with me.  :-*

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2009, 01:04:43 am »
Ennis,

I understand the hurt and fear and anger you feel.  I feel these same things too.  You are not alone friend.

Eric

Offline miniangel

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2009, 04:10:28 am »
I'd say, "Ennis, I've got a short story I'd like you to read. Here, I bought you some cheap glasses so you've got no excuse. Now put down that damn saddle catalogue and get stuck into this."

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2009, 01:18:30 pm »
I'd say "tell Jack that the next time he goes up to Lightning Flat, you want to go with him. You can sleep in the truck or pitch a tent in the barn, but keep an open mind."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2009, 02:29:23 pm »
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x-fkSYDtUY[/youtube]

Just noticed this thread, and that's exactly what I was thinking!  :laugh:  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2009, 02:46:01 pm »
What a wonderful thread (and question for the thread)!  :D  I'm sitting here at work, thoroughly enjoying all these responses.  I'll have to ponder some more before I submit a real answer to this question.  But, for now I wanted to say that this thread reminds me of how much I love the Brokie community.

We love you (broke)back, friend!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2009, 02:55:15 pm »
Thanks Lee. :)

I've been thinking a lot about this thread, and still don't have a great answer about what I'd say to Ennis.  I don't think there's any one single thing I'd say to him... I might have a variety of different things to say to him at different ages or over the course of the narrative that we're familiar with.

Many of the suggestions already mentioned here in this thread would probably be close to the things I might say to him.  I'd tell him that his father was wrong, to trust himself more, to listen to Jack more, to try to find ways to be happy before it's too late.  I'd definitely tell him that society is wrong...  I don't know.  It's a very difficult question.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2009, 02:17:51 am »
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x-fkSYDtUY[/youtube]

I keep wanting to say this to my closeted gay Republican police officer friend, who has really been struggling with his sexuality and coming out lately... He's even more stubborn than Ennis I think, and he's built that wall of denial and separation up so high I don't know if it can ever be torn down.  It's been a roller coaster... He makes me so angry sometimes because all I want is happiness for him, and I know when he says he's "happy the way it is now", I know he's #1 very niave, and #2 lying....  Arrrgh.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2009, 03:07:11 pm »
I would say to him: Ennis, your debts are paid. You owe no explaination to no one. You have loved and lost and what you do with the rest of your life if up to you. You will always carry Jack in your heart, build on that.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline BBM_victim

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2017, 01:09:49 am »
Friends, great thread!!

I don't know what i would say to Ennis - who am I anyway? A stranger nobody listens to. I WISHED Jack had told him that line from "Love that will never grow old":

Lean on me, let our hearts beat in time,
Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long.

This line always lets me cry because it's so true :'( Ennis, you will always have Jack - feel strength from that, you are not alone.