Author Topic: Gay Icon Immortalized  (Read 22668 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Gay Icon Immortalized
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2009, 11:48:19 am »
I think the excuse the network finally came up with for not covering the personal stuff on Matt was because he wasn't an American.  >:(  They only did extra coverage on Americans.  I don't recall if that was ever discovered to be true or not.

Thanks for the extra pics, Kerry!!  :)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 02:14:06 pm by delalluvia »

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2009, 12:55:37 pm »
Personally, my thoughts on this issue are mixed. Clearly Mitcham wants to be out. He wants his relationship to be publicly known. I'm cool with all of that. If NBC made a conscious decision to not include his sexual minority status, that is one thing. It could either be outright homophobia on the part of the producers of the broadcast, or it could have been a simple business decision made based on the demographics of their viewers.

When it comes to Mitcham's partner, there is a bit of a sticky situation. While other athlete's wives get coverage, typically girlfriends do not. So perhaps their unmarried status played a part in the decision not to cover Lachlan. We also have to consider what Mitcham might or might not have disclosed to the producers. Did he make it clear to them that he and Lachlan are in a committed, long-term relation ship? Or did he only mention Lachlan casually to them, which might leave them thinking that Lachlan is no more than "flavor of the month" type thing?

Who knows for sure?
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2009, 12:56:45 pm »
I think the excuse the network finally came up with for not covering the personal stuff on Matt was that because he wasn't an American.  >:(  They only did extra coverage on Americans.  I don't recall if that was ever discovered to be true or not.

Well that would make sense being that NBC is an American network.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2009, 01:09:25 pm »
"I want to thank absolutely everyone who helped; my partner Lachlan and my mum [Vivienne] here to support me and watch me get gold, because it was so important to have those two people here with me.
I did not think I had a chance to get the gold and to actually get that was mind-blowing! I was crying thinking I had silver. And to get gold! I was a blubbering mess."

Now that's the kind of thing that makes a fan out of me — humility and a human side.  I love that.

*THUD*    :P

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2009, 01:33:47 pm »
look at that 25 pack! wow!!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2009, 01:46:30 pm »
Yes, that is correct. And speaking as an Australian, I am ashamed that Matthew has had a great deal of trouble attracting sponsors (endorsements). Australia is a sports-mad country. We are particularly proud of our Olympians, whom we usually venerate higher than all our other sportspeople (with the exception of the Australian Cricket Team perhaps). And yet, initially, Matthew was unable to attract any major endorsements, as witnessed by this Advocate banner headline. Can't imagine why. The Australian telecommunication facility, Telstra, has since stepped-up to the mark and is now sponsoring Matthew. Better late than never, I guess.

This is actually not an unusual situation, Kerry, endorsements are all about image.  That's why high class WASP-looking silver medal winners can get more endorsements than less high-class looking and/or ethnic-looking gold medal winners do.  Ice skater Kristi Yamaguchi - Olympic gold medal winner, two time World Champion and USA champion - also had difficulty getting endorsements in America and she was an American.  And why?  She didn't look like an "American".  >:(

I don't know what Australia is like as far as homophobia or marketing but it seems you guys are in the same boat as we are.

EDITED TO ADD:  {from wikipedia}

Though Yamaguchi won the gold medal, she would be overshadowed in publicity and endorsements by Nancy Kerrigan...Yamaguchi never expressed any dissatisfaction with her lack of endorsements as she had one of the most successful professional skating careers since Sonja Henie, performing with such shows as Champions on Ice and Stars on Ice for over ten years. Yamaguchi received endorsements deals from Wendy's and DuraSoft Colors contact lenses, but not high-profile, multimillion-dollar deals with corporate giants like Campbells, Disney or Pepsi. Some suspected that her Asian heritage may have put her at a disadvantage. Bill Imada, whose firm advises companies on marketing to Asian Americans observes that for marketers "People like Kristi Yamaguchi don't represent, at least with marketers, the wholesome all-American image".

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2009, 02:03:16 pm »
While other athlete's wives get coverage, typically girlfriends do not. So perhaps their unmarried status played a part in the decision not to cover Lachlan. We also have to consider what Mitcham might or might not have disclosed to the producers. Did he make it clear to them that he and Lachlan are in a committed, long-term relation ship? Or did he only mention Lachlan casually to them, which might leave them thinking that Lachlan is no more than "flavor of the month" type thing?

The difference being that Mitcham and Lachlan can't get married.  He did refer to Lachlan as his partner, and not boyfriend.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2009, 02:22:16 pm »
This is actually not an unusual situation, Kerry, endorsements are all about image.  That's why high class WASP-looking silver medal winners can get more endorsements than less high-class looking and/or ethnic-looking gold medal winners do.  Ice skater Kristi Yamaguchi - Olympic gold medal winner, two time World Champion and USA champion - also had difficulty getting endorsements in America as well and she was an American.  And why?  She didn't look like an "American".  >:(

I don't know what Australia is like as far as homophobia or marketing but it seems you guys are in the same boat as we are.

You hit the nail on the head. One of the things I learned about marketing when I was working as a model is that not every look is desirable for pitching every product to every demographic. And in the case of celebrity endorsements, the celebrity's reputation is a huge part of the product pitch. Its one thing to have an Olympic gold medal athlete pitching your product, but its a whole different ball game to have a sexual minority pitching your product. Ellen Degeneres is a good example. Yes, she is openly lesbian, and people who view her AMEX commercials know that. But at the same time, she also carries the benefit of being a well-respected talk show host with a proven track record of attracting a cross-over viewer base. Mitcham has no such appeal. Moreover, it makes good business sense for a credit card company to market directly to sexual minorities because statistically we have more expendable income than hetero families because we are less likely to have kids.

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2009, 02:27:42 pm »
The difference being that Mitcham and Lachlan can't get married.  He did refer to Lachlan as his partner, and not boyfriend.

Right. But what does "partner" mean to the producers?

If it were me, I would have made it clear that David and I have been together for 21 years, and that he is the most important person in my life. If given the opportunity I would tell them some things about our past, like how we're worked together at 3 different companies, or how much my grandmother likes him after finally meeting him at a family reunion. That's the kind of thing that get the attention of the producers.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2009, 05:27:40 pm »
Ah, the marketing creeps, the ones who are only in it for the money.

What else would they be in it for?   ;D