Author Topic: Can anybody help me with some cell-phone questions?  (Read 5597 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: Can anybody help me with some cell-phone questions?
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 10:20:56 am »
BTW Louise, if you think AT&T is bad in Minneapolis, try Sprint. I used to have Sprint, and I couldn't make a phone call from inside a building.

I switched to AT&T when my Sprint contract was up partly because I was going to Italy and wanted to make calls from there, and AT&T is one of two phone services that work overseas. I bought a gold Razr. When I got there, my friends with other colors of AT&T Razrs could make calls, but I couldn't. I talked to an AT&T person (on someone else's phone) and was told that it was something about the design of the gold Razr; it doesn't work overseas.

And no, that was not the time I swore.

oh I never use an American phone when overseas!  I have a German phone with a Vodafone SIM chip in it that I use overseas, rechargeable from the Vodaphone D1 network.  Works anywhere in Europe that I would care to go.  But no, when I leave the NACN I do NOT ever try to access North America from overseas, I don't want to find out how much those phone calls would cost for roaming!  Same as in Australia - I have a SIM Chip from Optus-Yes! that I carry around in my change purse and if I ever end up in Australia again, I'll pop that sucker in my German phone and use that.  I bought the Motorola Timeport because it is a tri-band phone.  And tri-band means it works on any of the three major communications protocols that are in use worldwide.

My Timeport is sitting in my uncollected luggage in Britain though - where it belongs!  I suppose I ought to have that sent...
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
Re: Can anybody help me with some cell-phone questions?
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 07:40:35 pm »

The downside of this is that the kids will have a new cell phone number every few months. I wouldn't want to go thru the hassle and make sure my friends have my newest # regularly, and additionally save all the numbers of my friends anew on a new phone (if that's possible at all with disposable phones).

Our kids have very cheap cell phones, with no frills, for 20 Euros each. They keep their phone and their number, can save numbers and send+receive text messages, and that's it. They have prepaid cards which load up automatically. When the balance is down, the card gets loaded up with 10 Euros automatically, and we get an email that is was loaded up.

So we have control over the costs, and if it got uploaded in too short intervals, I could stop the automatic upload function. I can set up the automatic upload function like I want: 10 Euros a time, or 20, or whatever I want. Or simply stop it and switch to loading up manually.

Maybe you can get a similar contract, and similarly cheap cell phones.

I don't know for sure, but I think there is now portability between phones. but, what do I know, I've had the same cheap old phone for 10 years.