Author Topic: Women who think it's OK for their husbands to hit them  (Read 10582 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Women who think it's OK for their husbands to hit them
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 01:03:27 pm »
Not surprising considering how most are raised.  What I would like to see is a poll where not only do women think it's OK for their husbands to hit them, but that it's OK for them to hit back.  I'm thinking some of the south of the border macho countries.  It's basically a cycle of violence perpetuated in the culture. 

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 02:17:23 pm »

http://www.globalhealthmagazine.com/screenshots/of_women_who_believe_its_ok_for_husbands_to_hit_them/

Brainwashing does work.
And just think about women in our western culture, finding a thousand excuses for their violent male SOs. He didn't mean it, he promised to never do it again (yeah, right), it was partly my fault, I provoked him, blah, blah, blah ... Brainwashing does work in western countries, too.

:P

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 03:31:51 pm »
No, I guess this doesn't really shock me, but there's something about seeing it so graphically displayed (90% in Jordan.  I wonder what Queen Noor would say about that) that literally makes me sick to my stomach. 

Brainwashing does work.
And just think about women in our western culture, finding a thousand excuses for their violent male SOs. He didn't mean it, he promised to never do it again (yeah, right), it was partly my fault, I provoked him, blah, blah, blah ... Brainwashing does work in western countries, too.

:P

So true, Chrissi.  Many years ago there was a horrific case in my state.  A very typical scenario to begin with - they've both been drinking, get into an argument, etc.  In this particular incident, she goes after him when he threatens to go beat someone up, she slips and falls and he runs her over with his truck.  Stops.  Puts his truck in reverse, and runs her over again.  Deliberately.  She lost an arm and a leg.  Long, ugly story short - he gets out on bond and when the time comes for his trial, she tells the prosecutor that she won't testify against him, it was all her fault, wants them to drop the charges, etc.  Luckily there were were two other witnesses to the incident.   Oh - and one more thing.  She was pregnant with twins and I don't have to tell you who the father was.   >:(
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 08:00:25 pm »
That's such a horrible story, marie!! It makes me grateful for the work that Greg Mortensen is doing in Pakistan to build schools for girls. Looks like we need more education in the US too, even though it wasn't represented on the graph. My daughter's new church teaches that men are to be obeyed no matter how asinine their actions and decisions are.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 10:46:05 pm »
That's such a horrible story, marie!! It makes me grateful for the work that Greg Mortensen is doing in Pakistan to build schools for girls. Looks like we need more education in the US too, even though it wasn't represented on the graph.

Absolutely!  Education and awareness are so important.

My daughter's new church teaches that men are to be obeyed no matter how asinine their actions and decisions are.

Oh, no!  I'm very sorry to hear that.  Unfortunately, I know there are some fundamentalist Christian denominations that teach exactly that - the "Quiverfull" movement for example.  It's very disturbing to know that, instead of disappearing, this kind of misogynistic, backwards thinking seems to be picking up some steam.   >:(
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 10:49:45 pm »
That's such a horrible story, marie!! It makes me grateful for the work that Greg Mortensen is doing in Pakistan to build schools for girls. Looks like we need more education in the US too, even though it wasn't represented on the graph. My daughter's new church teaches that men are to be obeyed no matter how asinine their actions and decisions are.

Funny you mentioned Pakistan.  In the 80s I was married to a Pakistani gentleman.  We split after about 15 years.  I divorced him because I grew tired of being treated like a piece of property.  He never actually hit me, but threatened to hit me all the time.  Actually, he threatened worse than hitting, but never went through with any of it because:

1) My father, brother, even my mom would have killed him, and he knew this
2) I told him he would be arrested if he even laid a finger on me
3) I threatened to leave if he hit me

As far as I could tell, women in Pakistan were raised to be subservient to men, but at the same time, women were treated with a measure of respect.  My ex had to get used to the fact that he couldn't beat up on women in this country -- well, he couldn't hit me -- I'm not the one.  He learned rather quickly.

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• Love is a force of nature
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 08:21:34 pm »
Domestic violence was a regular occurance growing up as a kid.  My mom would tell me never let a man hit me and that was usually the day after a fight with my dad.  She would say he's a good man he's just sick.  If I was ever hit by a man I would leave because they would do it again.
To this day I cant watch domestic violence to either children, women or animals.   Not on television, not in the movies and not reading about it in the newspaper.
I raised my daughter that it was against the law to hit someone.  If anyone ever hit her to have them arrested.   Good thing I taught her that not only because she's gay but because she knows its wrong, and that no one should ever hit her.
One more thing, its been my experience a women shouldnt hit a man either because they hit back harder.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 10:43:12 pm »

Quote from: Front-Ranger on January 20, 2010, 08:00:25 PM
My daughter's new church teaches that men are to be obeyed no matter how asinine their actions and decisions are.
=============================================================================

As for one who has been there.  Do anything and everything in your power to get her away from that environment.
My oldest daughter was beguiled by a group like that as a freshman in college.  She had been raised in church, and she
was enticed by a guy she liked to it.  I didn't want to make her decision for her, and figured that she would get over
it, and it would run its course. 
   Well it has not run anythings course, except she tried to get the rest of us involved in it, an when we didn't comply,
she turned against us with them telling her we were evil and trying to take her from her true and rightful religion.  As
far as I am concerned it is a cult.  One form or another most of these groups are.  We do not speak at all anymore,
she thinks we are mean, hateful, and below her in every way.  Its been a long hard road over many years to get to
this, with us trying over and again to make it differently.  But we have finally given up.  Its a sad and terrible thing
we have to deal with on a daily basis.  She doesn't allow us to see her youngest child.  A boy.  The best thing is though
now her oldest daughter is old enough to make her own decisions, and we have regular and good contact with her.
If there is anyone you know that you can get on your side, and talk to her, and explain the bad that is involved with these
kinds of (Churches) then try to do it....
     We have one church here in Portland that holds many of these kinds of tenants.  One of them is no doctors.   They
have had two children die in one family, because they needed medical care, they did not get.  Now the man and woman
are awaiting sentencing, for a conviction of 2nd degree Manslaughter.  We don't know yet the outcome of that.

Beautiful mind