Author Topic: The Full Moon  (Read 98476 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
The Full Moon
« on: August 07, 2006, 12:31:50 pm »
I feel like, at least during the summer months, we have to keep track of the full moons. This is in service of our Brokeback Cult development, and also for personal enlightenment. As a Cancerian, I have to be aware of when the full moon is coming, and brace for it. It seems to bring out my Brokeholism and intensify it too. There's no reins on me at that time!!

Here's the link to the Farmer's Almanac with moon as well as planet info:
http://www.almanac.com/astronomy/moon/index.php
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
Re: The Full Moon
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 03:07:02 pm »
I'm not into astrology, but you have me intrigued....as a fellow Cancerian, what is it that happens to us when there is a full moon....
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Daphne7661

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 03:30:27 pm »
I'm curious, too.  I'm also a Cancerian....

::)
...Nice to know ya, Ennis del Mar...

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 03:38:01 pm »
As a teacher, I must admit that certain phenomenon of nature will highten kids' (& teachers') excitability. The approach of a storm, the high times of the year (Hollowe'en, Christmas, Easter, the end of the school year) and the two or three days before every full moon.

Kids (& teachers) are more excited, less focused and, dare I say, rash in their decisions. It's always harder to have kids do their work / stay out of trouble during these high times. That is why certain times of the year are crucial to getting more work done than others.

I find it strange that some people are non-believers in this phenomenon, but as for me ... I believe !
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 03:43:38 pm »
I've noticed that internet message boards get a little crazy around the full moon.  :o (Not this one in particular -- all of the ones I've been on, for like the past five years or so.) So nobody delete your account for the next three days, ok? It will all be better soon.

Meanwhile, I get PMS during the full moon.  ::) Not only am I rash, I am also extremely unpleasant to deal with.  ::)
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Rutella

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 04:43:38 pm »
Me and my best mate (both Cancerians) are loads more clumsy and fall over loads more at full moon. And just get a bit weird generally. She always blamed the moon but I just figured we were generally quite clumsy and weird at the best of times.

Offline 2robots4u

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006, 05:43:26 pm »
The full moon is the time of the month when everbody goes crazy.  There were the Druids way back when, and Dracula, my Aunt Minnie, even dogs (perhaps all animals) are said to be affected.  I personally don't notice any change in me, but others at work said I got more intollerable than usual, and I suppose I will have to accept what they say as I don't know one way or the other.  I always thought it was my being on the cusp of Virgo with Leo (24 Aug), trying to be a Virgo but heavly influenced with Leo, and not doing either very well.  I'm not really into Astrology, especially all that garbage in newspaper horoscopes (which is written to be interpreted anyway you want and make it happen), but had a boyfriend years ago who was an Astrologer "to the stars" (Hollywood stars, that is) who did my chart and said I "would take a different path soon that will change my life forever", and he was exactly correct...4 weeks later I left him and moved to San Diego, and "lived happily ever after".  That was 23 years ago and haven't seen him since.

There are many, many different names for the ugust full moon (which appears tomorrow night, such as "corn moon", "barley moon", "harvest moon" which is the name I am familiar with.  Does anyone else know of different names?

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2006, 07:50:20 pm »
Least heat moon is one I've heard of. I have noticed that people drive crazier and drive me crazier during the full moon. At work everyone is more frantic and there are more interruptions. BTW, I am a Virgo with the moon in Taurus.
coffeecat33

Offline Katie77

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2006, 08:41:51 pm »
Can anyone tell me if Australia and America get the full moon at the same time?

i just want to know if when all you lot over there a going a bit wacky, that us Aussies are the only sane ones here on the board......

Offline Andrew

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2006, 09:58:14 pm »
Everybody gets the full moon at the same time, we just take turns during the day getting to look at it from your hemisphere and mine.  Look out tonight (in both senses) - it was quite beautiful Sunday night over Jamaica Pond near my house.  Tonight there was cloud cover.  I remember planning a trip to Newport around the moon, for practical (including romantic) reasons.  After the classical concert in the seaside mansion called The Breakers, we were able to walk back to the inn along the cliff walk right over the water entirely by moonlight.  Maybe it's why moonlight and the sea go together - the moon thrills, the sea soothes, you are left with a feeling too mixed for words.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 10:06:03 pm by Andrew »

Offline Katie77

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2006, 10:34:34 pm »
Everybody gets the full moon at the same time, we just take turns during the day getting to look at it from your hemisphere and mine.  Look out tonight (in both senses) - it was quite beautiful Sunday night over Jamaica Pond near my house.  Tonight there was cloud cover.  I remember planning a trip to Newport around the moon, for practical (including romantic) reasons.  After the classical concert in the seaside mansion called The Breakers, we were able to walk back to the inn along the cliff walk right over the water entirely by moonlight.  Maybe it's why moonlight and the sea go together - the moon thrills, the sea soothes, you are left with a feeling too mixed for words.

Thanks Andrew....so i guess I go nutty (if you'll excuse the expression) the same time as everyone else does....

And.....OMG your words are so romantic.....whoever the lucky person was who walked around the cliff walk with you, I am sure would have felt just as wonderful as you did......

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2006, 10:46:58 pm »
Gee F-R! Thanks for starting a thread all about me !!
 ;)

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2006, 10:52:10 pm »
Um... I feel I'd best explain... For those of you who don't know, I play the MOON (and the SUN) in the *Performance* thread.
 :)  :D

Offline 2robots4u

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2006, 12:16:39 am »
Actually, Katie77, you get to go nuts first, then Andrew on USA east coast, then me on USA west coast.  Our moments of "nuttyness" (or should that be "nuttiness") will overlap due to the earth's rotation and the International Date Line, with you getting to be first, and our friends in the far Western Pacific (Tonga, Fiji, Vanuatu) go last.  The important thing is just how many of us will revert back to "normal" afterwards. :) ;D :) ..Doug

Offline Katie77

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2006, 06:34:02 am »
I'll let you know...... :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2006, 02:13:23 pm »
Yes, absolutely, Amanda, I was thinking of U!! After all, the Chilean Sheepherder has spent many moons staring at U in utter awe (but not shock).

As for the questions about symptoms of full-moon-itis for Cancerians. They are: Brokeholism, sleeplessness, crabbiness, wild ideas, short attention span, yen to watch romantic movies, throwing senses to the winds, immaturity, extreme horniness, moodiness, spurts of insanity and inspiration, crying jags, attacks of the giggles, the munchies, yen for listening to CSN&Y and passionate guitar music, immaturity, spookiness, gullibility, cravings for poetry, mismatched clothing, pouting and bitchiness, fits of fancy, delusions of grandeur, despondency, moroseness, nonsequitors and bad puns, lack of concentration, intense concentration, dreams in Technicolor, and lucid ravings. Those are just the major symptoms.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2006, 03:08:53 pm »
I'm a Libra, so I am no crazier than usual. But last night just before bed I looked out the big upstairs southern-facing window. The moon was almost full, bright and just over the neighbors' roof, surrounded by clear black sky and wisps of clouds ... and it looked so Ang Leeish I could swear there must be a tent scene going on somewhere.

Offline Katie77

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2006, 05:50:50 pm »
As for the questions about symptoms of full-moon-itis for Cancerians. They are: Brokeholism, sleeplessness, crabbiness, wild ideas, short attention span, yen to watch romantic movies, throwing senses to the winds, immaturity, extreme horniness, moodiness, spurts of insanity and inspiration, crying jags, attacks of the giggles, the munchies, yen for listening to CSN&Y and passionate guitar music, immaturity, spookiness, gullibility, cravings for poetry, mismatched clothing, pouting and bitchiness, fits of fancy, delusions of grandeur, despondency, moroseness, nonsequitors and bad puns, lack of concentration, intense concentration, dreams in Technicolor, and lucid ravings. Those are just the major symptoms.

Yeah, so whats new......I dont need a full moon to have all those symptoms.....I get them all the time

Offline Andrew

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2006, 07:25:20 pm »
Um... I feel I'd best explain... For those of you who don't know, I play the MOON (and the SUN) in the *Performance* thread.
 :)  :D

Amanda - did you understudy Moonshine in A Midsummer Night's Dream, Act 5?  A true model in how amateur theatricals should be done.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2006, 07:37:25 pm »
Amanda - did you understudy Moonshine in A Midsummer Night's Dream, Act 5?  A true model in how amateur theatricals should be done.

LOL.  No.  But, when I was a senior in high school I was the production stage manager for our schools staging of A Midsummer Night's Dream.
 ::) :D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2011, 03:22:40 pm »
Look out, BetterMostians. Here comes the August full moon...with the Perseid Meteor Shower to boot!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2011, 01:18:49 am »
I went for a full moon hike tonight to the summit of Mt. Falcon, and here are a few photos for your full moon enjoyment!

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2011, 02:18:04 am »
Lovely! And it looks like a delightful hike. Thanks for sharing.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2011, 12:38:22 pm »
 :) Really nice photos Lee! Thanks for sharing them!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2011, 02:36:54 pm »
Beautiful!  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2014, 07:33:33 pm »
Are you ready for the Friday the 13th full moon?

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2014, 09:22:39 pm »
Are you ready for the Friday the 13th full moon?

much attention was given to the fact that it was a full moon, Friday the 13th, and Mercury was in retrograde.  Apparently there won't be another full moon /Friday 13th combo until 2049.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2015, 10:49:46 am »
Are you ready for the last Blue Moon until 2018? Apparently, this moon is asking us to slow down and figure out what life-changing opportunities there are for us, in love and life:

http://www.elephantjournal.com/2015/07/unprecedented-blue-moon-in-aquarius-now-or-never/

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2015, 12:54:44 pm »
By cracky! We DO have two full moons this month!

This has been an odd month calendar-wise. I get paid three times this month, instead of the ordinary two.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2015, 03:42:17 pm »
*sings*  Blue moooooooooon.......

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2015, 09:21:10 am »
This has been an odd month calendar-wise. I get paid three times this month, instead of the ordinary two.

Me too. I love those months! It happens a couple of times a year.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2015, 09:34:53 am »

Me too. I love those months! It happens a couple of times a year.

Those are the best months!   It's like getting an "extra" paycheck.   We had three paychecks in May, and it happens again in October.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2015, 12:08:36 pm »
We get paid once a month (on the 26th), no matter if the moon is full or not!  ;D

DĂ¼va pööp is a förce of natĂ¼re

Offline brianr

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2015, 03:41:52 pm »
My Government pension in NZ$ comes every fortnight on a Tuesday (today). It covers my day to day living. My Private pension in Au$ is paid every quarter on 20th of the month but I chose that. I only use it for travel and any major expense like house renovations or medical.  As the Stock market has been doing well I gave myself a 25% raise from August 20th.  :)  I cannot take it with me when my time comes. It may go to my sister but she is 10 years older than me otherwise it goes to charity. 

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2015, 08:38:17 am »
ohh, any ideas on what charity you might gift?

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2015, 10:44:44 am »
Those are the best months!   It's like getting an "extra" paycheck.   We had three paychecks in May, and it happens again in October.

Not for me. There are five Fridays in October, but for me they're the wrong Fridays.  :-\

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2015, 12:00:51 pm »
Not for me. There are five Fridays in October, but for me they're the wrong Fridays.  :-\

And the last one is Halloween weekend.  8)  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2015, 01:58:50 pm »
Well, I don't receive a paycheck of any kind, so for me, Fridays are just Fridays.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2015, 02:11:17 pm »
Ah, Halloween!!!

Offline brianr

« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2015, 03:31:45 pm »
ohh, any ideas on what charity you might gift?
My Australian funds will go to MSF "Medecins Sans Frontieres" or Doctors without borders They are my favourite charity but unfortunately they are not registered in NZ. They tell me they have plans to register. The NZ government refunds one third of all donations made to registered charities. Therefore in NZ I usually choose Oxfam or Save the Children Fund. At the moment my NZ funds and house and car go to Anglican Family Care. I am sure my sister will not want to the bother of having to sell them from 2000 km away and being over 80 does not really need my money. However I am a bit p.....d off with the church at the moment but it costs to visit a solicitor and change a will.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2015, 10:23:24 pm »
Well, I don't receive a paycheck of any kind, so for me, Fridays are just Fridays.

Lately I've been living in more of a paycheck-to-paycheck situation, so the timing of each one has become more crucial. If the paychecks and the bills don't come together at the right time ...  :-X

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2015, 08:26:17 am »
My Australian funds will go to MSF "Medecins Sans Frontieres" or Doctors without borders They are my favourite charity but unfortunately they are not registered in NZ. They tell me they have plans to register. The NZ government refunds one third of all donations made to registered charities. Therefore in NZ I usually choose Oxfam or Save the Children Fund. At the moment my NZ funds and house and car go to Anglican Family Care. I am sure my sister will not want to the bother of having to sell them from 2000 km away and being over 80 does not really need my money. However I am a bit p.....d off with the church at the moment but it costs to visit a solicitor and change a will.

Very nice, and organized.

I often think about leaving funds to charity, but then I wonder if there will be any funds left?  LOL

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2015, 08:29:20 am »
Lately I've been living in more of a paycheck-to-paycheck situation, so the timing of each one has become more crucial. If the paychecks and the bills don't come together at the right time ...  :-X

Thankfully, that hasn't been an issue for me.  I put aside half of my total bill costs the first paycheck, and the second half the second paycheck.    By some strange coincidence (certainly no planning on my part) all my bills are due by around the 11th.  So I've already have the two prior months' paychecks set aside, so I just pay my bills by end of the prior month.

Offline brianr

« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2015, 03:38:34 pm »
Nearly all my bills are paid direct by Mastercard which rolls over on 26th of the month and is paid automatically by the 23rd of the next month. There are a few things like rates, newspaper and garbage collection which are yearly. So my annual garbage collection bill arrived at the beginning of this month and has to be paid by 3rd August  but I arranged online for it to be paid after 23rd.
I think I have said before, we hardly use cheques now and Australia is considering getting rid of them. Most shops will not accept cheques. Many people carry very little cash and use cards all the time. I usually use cash if less than $20 eg buying a cup of coffee but more and more everyone uses cards and now you can use smart phones. Just one bill per month paid online. My main use of cash is at the farmers market but even there a number of stalls have card machines and will give cash out with a purchase.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2015, 08:39:39 am »
I still carry cash with me, and I still use checks for a few different things.   My rent is paid by check.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2015, 09:25:17 am »
We don't have checks here anymore, and haven't had for many years.

People pay mostly by card, but you also often see people paying in cash.

I always carry some cash on me, although not as much as in the old days.

DĂ¼va pööp is a förce of natĂ¼re

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2015, 10:00:29 am »
I still carry cash with me, and I still use checks for a few different things.   My rent is paid by check.

I pay all my bills by check.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2015, 11:06:19 am »
Ahem...

This extra Friday and Blue Moon give us the chance to stop and think what we would do if we were given an extra day and time ... once in a Blue Moon.

What would you do?

Offline brianr

« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2015, 03:04:10 pm »
An article in the Australian news this morning. There are some butcher shops which no longer accept cash as it is considered to carry germs.
Also it said that Denmark may be the first cashless society and New Zealand will not be far behind. Apparently in Denmark it is government policy while in NZ it is just happening.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2015, 08:36:59 am »

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2015, 08:37:52 am »
This extra Friday and Blue Moon give us the chance to stop and think what we would do if we were given an extra day and time ... once in a Blue Moon.

What would you do?

Catch up on things I've been putting off.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2015, 09:18:02 pm »
I hope it works out for you, friend. I too have taken this opportunity to really examine my life and see what needs to be adjusted. For several months, I've felt like I've lost control over my life and I am just a marionette, being pulled by strings in one way or another.

I really love spending time with my two grandsons, but have only been able to see them about once a week, or even less. I really love spending time in my garden, but have had to neglect it. I like giving my elderly cat attention, because she is not long for this world, but I can't except for in the dead of night.

I have to be ruthless and turn my back on my church, which is always asking me to give a lot of my time. I need to give the minimum amount of time to my mom, because, to be brutally honest, it's just a time suck. I need to spend less time reading and more time writing. I'd like to spend a little less time socializing. I find myself going out 3 or 4 nights a week, and that's too much.

And I just need to relax. I need to have faith that everything will work out.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2015, 09:55:17 pm »
The full moon rising over Cape Cod Bay was intoxicating last night; and no less so, tonight, with moody, lacy clouds.

Lee, I would love to see you spend more time on your writing.  You're an amazing and evocative writer. 

Screw the time sucks and go for it. 

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2015, 12:00:27 pm »
I feel like that too. Now that I'm working 45 hours a week, I'm slightly less panicky financially, but I am really missing those extra hours I had when I was underemployed. And I regret that I didn't use them more productively, like to finish my book. [*guiltily glances up and sees that she has spent the cumulative equivalent of almost half a year on BetterMost*] Then again, I tell myself that it's hard to write a book when you're panicking financially, even if there's some faint hope that the first would help solve the second.

One difference from you is that I wish that I had a more active social life. I go out socially maybe once a week, sometimes not even that. Then again, on weeks -- especially weekends -- when I go out twice I feel all the more overwhelmed and behind on things.

When my kids are home on vacation I don't miss socializing that much. But when they're away at school it gets too quiet in my house, and of course I have more time to spare.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2015, 05:33:52 pm »
[*guiltily glances up and sees that she has spent the cumulative equivalent of almost half a year on BetterMost*]

to your benefit, as well as ours!  :)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2015, 09:57:57 pm »
Lee, I would love to see you spend more time on your writing.  You're an amazing and evocative writer. 

Screw the time sucks and go for it. 

Thank you, friend! Fortunately, I have been able to spend a lot of time writing. Ironically, my ex is a big champion of me as a writer and has gotten me several jobs writing for an Indian foods manufacturer in NY, a buffalo ranch and the cantaloupe growers Colorado, and 2 wineries on the Western Slope of Colorado. I'm doing as much non-fiction writing as I possibly can handle. I don't seem to be very good at fiction writing but I'm going to keep trying!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2015, 10:56:55 pm »
One difference from you is that I wish that I had a more active social life. I go out socially maybe once a week, sometimes not even that. Then again, on weeks -- especially weekends -- when I go out twice I feel all the more overwhelmed and behind on things.

When my kids are home on vacation I don't miss socializing that much. But when they're away at school it gets too quiet in my house, and of course I have more time to spare.

I understand what you're saying. I always thought, before it happened, that "empty nest syndrome" was a made-up thing, but once it happened, I realized it is a Real Thing.  :-\

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2015, 09:40:01 am »
I understand what you're saying. I always thought, before it happened, that "empty nest syndrome" was a made-up thing, but once it happened, I realized it is a Real Thing.  :-\

Absolutely it's a Real Thing! And it's fueling the Center City real estate market in Philadelphia (perhaps elsewhere, too). All those empty nesters with big empty houses in the suburbs are discovering the amenities of city living--walking to restaurants, theaters, art galleries, etc., so they're selling those big empty houses and buying condos on Rittenhouse Square.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2015, 11:54:53 am »
Mom is slowly adapting....Mike moved out some time ago, then me going on 4 years, and once Chris is out, then she'll get hit with it.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2015, 10:07:31 pm »
The full Sturgeon Moon approacheth!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #60 on: August 29, 2015, 12:55:06 pm »
tonight's the night, if the weather cooperates, and the sky isn't cloudy.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2015, 02:06:04 pm »
tonight's the night, if the weather cooperates, and the sky isn't cloudy.

Beautiful moon last night, too. If you looked really close, you could see it was the teeniest, tiniest bit off of "full."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2015, 06:46:12 pm »
The weather reporter on our local NBC affiliate said this evening that tonight's full moon is a "super moon."  ???

And so is next month's full moon.

I guess I ought to look that one up, "super moon," I mean.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2015, 03:03:56 pm »
I guess I ought to look that one up, "super moon," I mean.

Allow me!  ;)

A super moon occurs when a full moon or new moon is closest to Earth and comes within 224,834 miles of us, which will happen six times this year, according to earthsky.org.

It wasn't as bright for me last night, clouds and such, but it was big.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2015, 03:48:03 pm »
Allow me!  ;)

A super moon occurs when a full moon or new moon is closest to Earth and comes within 224,834 miles of us, which will happen six times this year, according to earthsky.org.

It wasn't as bright for me last night, clouds and such, but it was big.

Thanks! It wasn't as clear here last night, either, as it was Friday night. But it was cooler.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2015, 03:51:53 pm »
You're welcome

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2016, 08:25:44 pm »
The Full Moon is not to enjoy just during the summer months. I hope the storms in the East will pass by by the time of the Full Wolf Moon on the 24th and we can all go out and enjoy it...maybe howl a bit?

Offline bentgyro

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2016, 08:40:51 pm »
And not grow fuzzy ears and a lovely, fluffy tail.! :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2016, 12:59:25 am »
Maybe, maybe not!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2016, 10:21:11 am »
The Full Moon is not to enjoy just during the summer months. I hope the storms in the East will pass by by the time of the Full Wolf Moon on the 24th and we can all go out and enjoy it...maybe howl a bit?

Snows are supposed to send Sunday morning.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2016, 11:23:48 pm »
The Northern Lights created a large wolf in the sky, previewing the Full Wolf Moon on Saturday:

http://www.higherperspectives.com/wolf-over-sweded-1560314052.html?c=ss

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2016, 09:53:47 am »
the full moon is going to cause high tides during our storm this weekend, which will worsen coastal flooding.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2016, 10:12:26 am »
to your benefit, as well as ours!  :)

Chuck, apparently I haven't been to the full moon thread in quite a while, and when I clicked just now, I came to this! Thank you!  :-*

Also, I'll be thinking of you, and all you East Coasterish people, this weekend. Blizzards suck, IMO.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2016, 10:16:19 am »

I wonder what was up with last year. I don't think I'd ever heard of a super moon before a year or so ago. Then six in a year??

Maybe global warming is throwing off the whole solar system!  :o

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2016, 10:31:40 am »

And again, sorry, but I wanted to catch up with this, too, even though it's non-lunar. Yes, it's definitely a real thing.

But I'll have to say I envy people like you whose kids are still close by, so you can see them anytime, as well as your grandchildren. Whereas I have one son 400 miles away (Chicago) and the other half a country away (formerly in NYC, now in LA). So I see them only in the summer and around the holidays (well, Jack visits a little more often because Chicago is closer).

Ironically, when they are here they mostly drive me crazy. They eat so much food, I'm constantly shopping or cooking or ordering pizza. I make some casserole kind of dish that if it were just me would last for two dinners and two lunches, and it's gone the next day. They leave clothes and dishes lying around. They stay up until 4 a.m. and sleep until 2 p.m.

With kids it's so often either not enough, or too much. Having them live in the same city but in different homes seems like the best of all worlds. But both of my kids swear they will not live in Minneapolis when they grow up.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #75 on: January 22, 2016, 12:27:34 pm »
I wonder what was up with last year. I don't think I'd ever heard of a super moon before a year or so ago. Then six in a year??

I know, right?

Maybe they just used another term for it?  I certainly don't recall hearing it before.

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #76 on: January 22, 2016, 05:09:04 pm »

hehehe...

Or maybe its that extra planet they think is part of our solar system. Its gravity could be altering the moon's orbit.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #77 on: April 22, 2016, 08:43:51 pm »
Tonight is supposed to be a pink full moon, but we've got heavy cloud cover right now, so no moon to see.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #78 on: June 19, 2016, 10:16:47 am »
Are you ready for the full moon in June at the summer solstice? What's your go-to full moon song?

http://www.almanac.com/blog/astronomy/astronomy/summer-solstice-full-moon-june

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #79 on: June 19, 2016, 08:31:51 pm »
Isn't it exciting? A full moon at the summer solstice!  :D

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #80 on: June 19, 2016, 08:33:55 pm »
How about Bad Moon Rising?   ;)

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #81 on: June 20, 2016, 10:11:21 pm »
Isn't it exciting? A full moon at the summer solstice!  :D

We were talking about this in yoga class. Someone said that only happens once every 70 years. And the yoga teacher came in later called it a "once in a lifetime" event. But while we were in shavasana I found myself doing the math. Assuming the full moon rotates days through the month, so for example one year it might be June 1 and the next year June 2 or whatever, wouldn't this happen once every 30 years? Or maybe that rotation isn't quite that neat, so it's June 1 for a couple of years, then June 2 for a couple of years, and so on. That would stretch out the years between the times it would fall on June 20. You'd have to wait 40 years, say, to get there. Then again, it would mean the next one wouldn't be 70 years from now, it would be next year.

It's also supposed to be a "strawberry moon." Something about the position of Mars, maybe?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #82 on: June 21, 2016, 09:12:34 am »
We were talking about this in yoga class. Someone said that only happens once every 70 years. And the yoga teacher came in later called it a "once in a lifetime" event. But while we were in shavasana I found myself doing the math. Assuming the full moon rotates days through the month, so for example one year it might be June 1 and the next year June 2 or whatever, wouldn't this happen once every 30 years? Or maybe that rotation isn't quite that neat, so it's June 1 for a couple of years, then June 2 for a couple of years, and so on. That would stretch out the years between the times it would fall on June 20. You'd have to wait 40 years, say, to get there. Then again, it would mean the next one wouldn't be 70 years from now, it would be next year.

It's also supposed to be a "strawberry moon." Something about the position of Mars, maybe?

I've been hearing it hasn't got anything to do with anything astronomical. It's just that it's strawberry picking season.

I've been hearing different things about how often this happens, 30 years or 70 years.  ???

I missed seeing it last night. I didn't even think to look for it.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #83 on: June 21, 2016, 09:49:06 am »
I missed seeing it last night. I didn't even think to look for it.

You can't say we didn't warn you! That's BetterMost, always providing service to our loyal residents!

I didn't see the moon either; it was cloudy here.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #84 on: June 21, 2016, 10:44:32 am »
I saw it, but for some reason mine was vanilla. But a professional photographer/amateur astronomer friend took a nice photo of a rosy-colored full moon and posted it on Facebook.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #85 on: June 21, 2016, 11:17:18 am »
You can't say we didn't warn you! That's BetterMost, always providing service to our loyal residents!

I didn't see the moon either; it was cloudy here.

I just have a lot of other stuff on my mind right now.

It seemed cloudy here, too, just before I turned in last night. It's also possible that the moon's position in the sky last night made it invisible from my windows, even if it wasn't cloudy. Sometimes when the moon is full, and it's positioned just right int he sky, if it's clear, I can see the moonlight shining on my balcony.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #86 on: September 16, 2016, 09:02:29 pm »
Lovely full moon out tonight here.  :)

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #87 on: September 16, 2016, 11:08:49 pm »
Yeah, I did't even know it until I saw it out while driving.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #88 on: February 08, 2017, 07:30:58 pm »
Another full moon is coming on Friday February 10th. And this one sports a lunar eclipse, visible from most of the U.S. and other countries. Not only that, there's a comet making an appearance too! Pray for clear skies!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #89 on: February 10, 2017, 11:22:32 pm »
While waiting around for the eclipse to start, I'm thinking about some of those old classic songs we used to chat about during our full moon chats. Those were the days!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #90 on: February 11, 2017, 12:35:15 am »
Too cloudy here.  >:(

Clouds moved in about sundown.  :(

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #91 on: August 05, 2017, 10:47:06 am »
This topic was started on August 7, 2006, and now, 11 years later, there will again be a full moon on August 7! The Sturgeon Moon is coming! This means that two weeks later, there will be a new moon on August 21. . . the total eclipse!!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #92 on: August 06, 2017, 12:05:23 am »
Ah, full moon.   watch for werewolves!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #93 on: August 06, 2017, 05:52:54 pm »
And, apparently, sturgeons.

"It's called caviar, a kind of fishberry jam."

;D

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #94 on: August 07, 2017, 10:31:35 am »
that sounds so.........unappetizing.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #95 on: July 25, 2018, 09:20:07 am »
The Full Buck Moon is coming, with a Mars opposition! It will take place at 4:20 pm Eastern US Daylight time on Friday. If you're in another time zone, I'll be glad to calculate the exact time for you.

This full moon is particularly significant for me because I expect my fourth grandchild to appear on that day. My daughter's due date is not until August 4, but I expect the high tide to work to bring her out early!

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #96 on: July 25, 2018, 11:43:38 am »
Then they could name her Luna!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #97 on: July 25, 2018, 03:56:40 pm »
Given the weather we've been having and the cloud cover, I don't think I'll be seeing the full moon on Friday.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #98 on: July 25, 2018, 06:40:42 pm »
Given the weather we've been having and the cloud cover, I don't think I'll be seeing the full moon on Friday.

Me neither. Our local forecast is for thunderstorms Friday evening. Something new? As if!

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #99 on: July 26, 2018, 10:41:42 am »
My phone has a full sun icon for Friday!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #100 on: July 26, 2018, 04:33:12 pm »
It's blue skies and clear now, pretty hot as well.   Rain would be nice right now.

It hasn't rained as much as they said it would this week.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #101 on: July 26, 2018, 09:56:15 pm »
It's blue skies and clear now, pretty hot as well.   Rain would be nice right now.

It hasn't rained as much as they said it would this week.

Why do you want rain? The only reason I, as a city-dweller but in a residential area, want rain is so I can skip watering my flowers and vegetable gardens. Otherwise it's more of a pain than anything. I missed my usual dog-walking and patio-relaxing tonight because it was chilly and cloudy and showered on and off.

People in Minnesota often wish for rain "for the farmers," and I suppose in NJ it's the same?

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #102 on: July 27, 2018, 10:40:30 am »
Hi Katherine,

When it's hot and steamy/humid here, it gets more tolerable after a rain.   The temps will drop, and the humidity will decrease, sometimes by a great deal.

I remember one time it was about 95 degrees, and after a hard downpour, it had dropped to almost 80.

Offline brianr

« Reply #103 on: July 27, 2018, 03:05:03 pm »
We have clear skies and I have been watching the lunar eclipse, now 7am and about half covered. At the moment I can see it out of my front door but sadly it is dropping towards the roof of the house next door. I may have to go up to the front gate to see it turn to blood. They say about 8.15am. It is 6'C so am not standing outside. Could be worse, it was about 2'C at this time a few days ago.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #104 on: July 27, 2018, 06:44:23 pm »
Thanks for the report! I don't think anyone in North America can see this one!

Full moon came and went, and my new granddaughter still isn't here. She's worth waiting for.

Offline brianr

« Reply #105 on: July 27, 2018, 07:53:59 pm »
At 7.30am I was just able to see the moon above the trees as it turned orange, would not call it red.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #106 on: July 28, 2018, 10:17:25 am »
Hi Katherine,

When it's hot and steamy/humid here, it gets more tolerable after a rain.   The temps will drop, and the humidity will decrease, sometimes by a great deal.

I remember one time it was about 95 degrees, and after a hard downpour, it had dropped to almost 80.

Not to be all know-it-ally (or more so than usual, anyway  :laugh:) and I could be wrong. But I think it's the temperature change that brings the rain as opposed to the other way around, right?

Isn't it, like, two different fronts with different temperatures and humidity levels bumping into each other that produces rain? That's what I've always thought, anyway. The same thing happens with snow. A snowstorm might arrive on a relatively warm day, but the next day it's usually really cold.

But I'm no expert. I'm not even entirely sure what a "front" is, other than a big mass of a certain kind of weather, or why clashing fronts would produce weather unrest.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #107 on: July 28, 2018, 10:59:47 am »
All I can say, is that immediately after a rain on a hot day here, it feels much cooler.

No full moon last night for me, it was pouring.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #108 on: July 28, 2018, 11:25:59 am »
All I can say, is that immediately after a rain on a hot day here, it feels much cooler.

Here too.

No full moon last night for me, it was pouring.

It was clear here. I sat in my backyard and watched the moon rise over the trees. Beautiful and kind of orange-ish.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #109 on: July 28, 2018, 02:32:36 pm »
It was clear here. I sat in my backyard and watched the moon rise over the trees. Beautiful and kind of orange-ish.

I would've tried to take a pic, but knowing me, it wouldn't have turned out.  LOL

Offline brianr

« Reply #110 on: July 28, 2018, 03:11:57 pm »
Sorry to bring out my retired Geography teacher hat.
When air masses with different properties meet they do not mix but form a front (not sure why although they do eventually mix and the front weakens).
Of course warm air rises and cools. If a cold front moves over you, the warm air rises up and cools and therefore any moisture begins to condense and, when heavy enough, fall.  Cold fronts are usually fairly steep so the rise is often rapid and can cause thunderstorms (and tornados).
When a warm front approaches, the warm air is rising up over the cooler air in front and is usually fairly gradual so you get more gentle rain over a longer period.
Where I lived in Sydney, warm fronts are rare but cold fronts common. Summer afternoons often had regular thunderstorms (often just as school finished). I never left the house without turning off and unplugging my computer and modem. The telephone company put some device on my line but I would still not answer the phone when storms were around (before hands free phones),
Here in Dunedin thunderstorms are rare. I probably have not experienced 10 in the 8 years I have been here. We have warm fronts so can have a long period of gentle rain then the temperatures climb for a brief time and then a cold front arrives, there is some brief heavy rain and then fine but cold. However weather forecasting is more complicated because of the alps to the west on a fairly narrow island, about 250km wide.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #111 on: July 28, 2018, 10:46:06 pm »

Full moon came and went, and my new granddaughter still isn't here. She's worth waiting for.

Another day, while she keeps us waiting. I'm trying to keep myself calm and get as much sleep as possible, without the benefit of my favorite sleep aid, wine. I'm certainly catching up on New Yorker reading!

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #112 on: July 29, 2018, 02:22:55 pm »
When air masses with different properties meet they do not mix but form a front (not sure why although they do eventually mix and the front weakens).
Of course warm air rises and cools. If a cold front moves over you, the warm air rises up and cools and therefore any moisture begins to condense and, when heavy enough, fall.  Cold fronts are usually fairly steep so the rise is often rapid and can cause thunderstorms (and tornados).
When a warm front approaches, the warm air is rising up over the cooler air in front and is usually fairly gradual so you get more gentle rain over a longer period.

Thank you, Brian! Very educational. Never apologize for bringing out your teacher hat -- I'm always happy to learn how things like that work. It makes perfect sense when you explain it that way.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #113 on: July 29, 2018, 02:23:40 pm »
Another day, while she keeps us waiting. I'm trying to keep myself calm and get as much sleep as possible, without the benefit of my favorite sleep aid, wine. I'm certainly catching up on New Yorker reading!

Did you give up wine? If you mentioned that before, I must have missed it.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #114 on: July 29, 2018, 02:25:05 pm »
I would've tried to take a pic, but knowing me, it wouldn't have turned out.  LOL

I did take a pic, with my iPhone, and like every time I take a full moon picture with my phone, it just looks like a big white blob between the bushes and the telephone lines.

Luckily, I have a FB friend who's a professional photographer and amateur astronomer, so he usually posts cool pix of celestial events.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 08:55:23 am by serious crayons »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #115 on: July 29, 2018, 02:34:04 pm »
Did you give up wine? If you mentioned that before, I must have missed it.

Just temporarily, since I will likely have to be alert and driving in the middle of the night soon (my daughter's labor has always started in the wee hours).

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #116 on: July 29, 2018, 05:09:05 pm »
The baby is keeping everyone waiting!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #117 on: July 29, 2018, 05:10:13 pm »
Where I lived in Sydney, warm fronts are rare but cold fronts common. Summer afternoons often had regular thunderstorms (often just as school finished). I never left the house without turning off and unplugging my computer and modem. The telephone company put some device on my line but I would still not answer the phone when storms were around (before hands free phones),
Here in Dunedin thunderstorms are rare. I probably have not experienced 10 in the 8 years I have been here. We have warm fronts so can have a long period of gentle rain then the temperatures climb for a brief time and then a cold front arrives, there is some brief heavy rain and then fine but cold. However weather forecasting is more complicated because of the alps to the west on a fairly narrow island, about 250km wide.

very interesting post!  Thanks Brian!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #118 on: November 28, 2023, 11:43:21 am »
Sure do miss brian. Happy full Beaver Moon, folks!

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #119 on: November 28, 2023, 12:45:43 pm »
Saw it this morning on its way down. Beautiful!