Author Topic: The Full Moon  (Read 98475 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
The Full Moon
« on: August 07, 2006, 12:31:50 pm »
I feel like, at least during the summer months, we have to keep track of the full moons. This is in service of our Brokeback Cult development, and also for personal enlightenment. As a Cancerian, I have to be aware of when the full moon is coming, and brace for it. It seems to bring out my Brokeholism and intensify it too. There's no reins on me at that time!!

Here's the link to the Farmer's Almanac with moon as well as planet info:
http://www.almanac.com/astronomy/moon/index.php
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
Re: The Full Moon
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 03:07:02 pm »
I'm not into astrology, but you have me intrigued....as a fellow Cancerian, what is it that happens to us when there is a full moon....
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Daphne7661

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 03:30:27 pm »
I'm curious, too.  I'm also a Cancerian....

::)
...Nice to know ya, Ennis del Mar...

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 03:38:01 pm »
As a teacher, I must admit that certain phenomenon of nature will highten kids' (& teachers') excitability. The approach of a storm, the high times of the year (Hollowe'en, Christmas, Easter, the end of the school year) and the two or three days before every full moon.

Kids (& teachers) are more excited, less focused and, dare I say, rash in their decisions. It's always harder to have kids do their work / stay out of trouble during these high times. That is why certain times of the year are crucial to getting more work done than others.

I find it strange that some people are non-believers in this phenomenon, but as for me ... I believe !
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 03:43:38 pm »
I've noticed that internet message boards get a little crazy around the full moon.  :o (Not this one in particular -- all of the ones I've been on, for like the past five years or so.) So nobody delete your account for the next three days, ok? It will all be better soon.

Meanwhile, I get PMS during the full moon.  ::) Not only am I rash, I am also extremely unpleasant to deal with.  ::)
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Rutella

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 04:43:38 pm »
Me and my best mate (both Cancerians) are loads more clumsy and fall over loads more at full moon. And just get a bit weird generally. She always blamed the moon but I just figured we were generally quite clumsy and weird at the best of times.

Offline 2robots4u

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006, 05:43:26 pm »
The full moon is the time of the month when everbody goes crazy.  There were the Druids way back when, and Dracula, my Aunt Minnie, even dogs (perhaps all animals) are said to be affected.  I personally don't notice any change in me, but others at work said I got more intollerable than usual, and I suppose I will have to accept what they say as I don't know one way or the other.  I always thought it was my being on the cusp of Virgo with Leo (24 Aug), trying to be a Virgo but heavly influenced with Leo, and not doing either very well.  I'm not really into Astrology, especially all that garbage in newspaper horoscopes (which is written to be interpreted anyway you want and make it happen), but had a boyfriend years ago who was an Astrologer "to the stars" (Hollywood stars, that is) who did my chart and said I "would take a different path soon that will change my life forever", and he was exactly correct...4 weeks later I left him and moved to San Diego, and "lived happily ever after".  That was 23 years ago and haven't seen him since.

There are many, many different names for the ugust full moon (which appears tomorrow night, such as "corn moon", "barley moon", "harvest moon" which is the name I am familiar with.  Does anyone else know of different names?

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2006, 07:50:20 pm »
Least heat moon is one I've heard of. I have noticed that people drive crazier and drive me crazier during the full moon. At work everyone is more frantic and there are more interruptions. BTW, I am a Virgo with the moon in Taurus.
coffeecat33

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2006, 08:41:51 pm »
Can anyone tell me if Australia and America get the full moon at the same time?

i just want to know if when all you lot over there a going a bit wacky, that us Aussies are the only sane ones here on the board......
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Andrew

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2006, 09:58:14 pm »
Everybody gets the full moon at the same time, we just take turns during the day getting to look at it from your hemisphere and mine.  Look out tonight (in both senses) - it was quite beautiful Sunday night over Jamaica Pond near my house.  Tonight there was cloud cover.  I remember planning a trip to Newport around the moon, for practical (including romantic) reasons.  After the classical concert in the seaside mansion called The Breakers, we were able to walk back to the inn along the cliff walk right over the water entirely by moonlight.  Maybe it's why moonlight and the sea go together - the moon thrills, the sea soothes, you are left with a feeling too mixed for words.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 10:06:03 pm by Andrew »