Author Topic: That zany Uncle Harold  (Read 24192 times)

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
That zany Uncle Harold
« on: August 07, 2006, 02:26:02 pm »
What is up with Uncle Harold? He's a phantom character we hear about but never see (along with Roy Taylor, Don Wroe, Steve, Kurt, Troy and Ennis' mother -- only Uncle Harold is far more conspicuous and seemingly significant)? Why would the movie introduce a character, put him in dire jeopardy, then save his life -- all completely offscreen and with little or no connection to the plot?

The news about Uncle Harold's pneumonia is ostensibly what gets Aguirre up the mountain and in a position to spy on Jack and Ennis. But it also seems kind of pointless. Aguirre could have been given any number of other routine reasons for stopping by; he could even just be checking on things. Uncle Harold's illness does not propel any action -- Aguirre rather indifferently makes the announcement, Jack rather indifferently replies that he can't do anything about it, Aguirre agrees, and that's the end of that.

By the time they break camp, we viewers have pretty much forgotten about Uncle Harold. Yet, as if we'd been waiting in suspense, Jack feels compelled to mention him again and reassure us that he's OK. He says it quickly, as if it's only of passing interest, yet he announces it even before he gets to the bigger news (and, in the screenplay, pauses afterward) You'd think Jack would normally say, "Aguirre came by, said to bring 'em down" and then after that, or maybe even hours later, he'd add, "Oh by the way, Aguirre also said my uncle didn't die after all."

So let's figure out what purpose Uncle Harold is supposed to serve.

Here's what I notice: The scene where Aguirre announces Uncle Harold's illness mirrors the post-divorce scene, in several ways. In both, someone -- Aguirre in the first and Jack in the latter -- shows up unexpectedly and says, "So here I am." In both, Jack is wearing uncharacteristically dark clothes (going from memory, I think his shirt is blue in the Aguirre scene, but it's a darker, grayer blue than usual, and in post-divorce it's black and gray, colors that elsewhere in the movie seem associated with death or murder). In both, someone has been doing some investigating beforehand -- Aguirre with the binoculars, Jack by asking 10 people where Ennis lives. In the first, Aguirre peers at Ennis through his binoculars and Jack follows his gaze, perhaps realizing what Aguirre is thinking. In the second, Ennis peers at the white truck and Jack follows his gaze, perhaps realizing what Ennis is thinking.

So what does it all mean? When Jack says, "nothing I can do about it up here," and Aguirre agrees, "nothing you can do about it down there, either," are they metaphorically talking about Jack's inability to do anything to change Ennis' mind? Or does Uncle Harold somehow fit into Ennis' fears about the dangers they'd face if they lived together -- and does his recovery show that the dangers actually aren't as great as Ennis believed? Is Uncle Harold gay (as someone theorized a while back)?

What are your thoughts?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: That zany Uncle Harold
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 02:56:20 pm »
It seems rude to reply to your well-thought-out answers with a zany response, but have U checked out The Performance Thread, a parody-slash-tribute-slash-shameless mugging for the camera site? There you'll find an out-there answer, that Uncle Harold and Aguirre met 20 years ago as fellow sheepherders on Brokeback Mountain...and the rest is history!! I'll put these questions in my lungs though and see if anything more productive gestates.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 03:03:48 pm »
When I watch the movie, I find it hard to believe, that a "pig" like Aguirre, would even take any notice of the call from Jack's Mum about Uncle Harold, let alone get on his horse and ride all the way up to the mountain to tell Jack.

My thought would be that if Jacks mum rang about an Uncle being sick, Aguirre would be more than likely to say "Well what the f*** do you want me to do about it, I'm not f***ing riding all the way up that f***ing mountain to tell some f***ing dumbass that his f***ing uncle is sick".

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 03:43:30 pm »
Uncle Harold and Aguirre met 20 years ago as fellow sheepherders on Brokeback Mountain...and the rest is history!!

There's an interesting theory ...

My thought would be that if Jacks mum rang about an Uncle being sick, Aguirre would be more than likely to say "Well what the f*** do you want me to do about it, I'm not f***ing riding all the way up that f***ing mountain to tell some f***ing dumbass that his f***ing uncle is sick".

Good point! It does seem out of character for Aguirre to do that favor. More likely he'd respond the way he did to the phone call when they were all in his trailer.  :laugh:

Offline Rutella

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 04:39:38 pm »
Unless of course Aguirre just made it all up so he'd have an excuse to come up the mountain and spy on the boys (after all them ranch stiffs aint never no good)...or rather he comes up to spy on the boys and then when he sees more than he expected (or maybe exactly what he expects??) he uses Uncle Harold (whether he is really ill or not) as an excuse just to show Jack 'hey I've got binoculars, you think you're all alone up here but you can't escape the spying eye of society'. And then when he comes back up to tell them to come down he adds the 'by the way Uncle Harold isn't dead'.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 04:54:09 pm »
Unless of course Aguirre just made it all up so he'd have an excuse to come up the mountain and spy on the boys (after all them ranch stiffs aint never no good)...or rather he comes up to spy on the boys and then when he sees more than he expected (or maybe exactly what he expects??) he uses Uncle Harold (whether he is really ill or not) as an excuse just to show Jack 'hey I've got binoculars, you think you're all alone up here but you can't escape the spying eye of society'. And then when he comes back up to tell them to come down he adds the 'by the way Uncle Harold isn't dead'.
Though somehow he'd have to know that Jack HAD an Uncle Harold ...

Offline Rutella

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006, 04:59:40 pm »
Ah. Good point!  ;D

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2006, 05:01:55 pm »
Isn't pneumonia a disease of the lungs? Lungs, breath, wind?

(Just hit me if this has already come up. Somehow I think it has. Plus, I have no idea whether I have a point to make or not.)

I wonder if Jack and Ennis hadn't been talking about Uncle Harold, or something. I mean, in the grand scheme of things, somebody not dying is a bigger deal than having to end a job early. Except that in BBM, ending the job early means so much more.

(Edit) Also, I wonder if Jack would have been expected to go to Uncle Harold's funeral if he had died?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 05:23:05 pm by nakymaton »
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2006, 01:25:13 am »
(Edit) Also, I wonder if Jack would have been expected to go to Uncle Harold's funeral if he had died?

Doubt it. Jack doesn't seem all that concerned about Uncle Harold or indicate he might have to go, even back when the docs didn't expect he'd make it. It wasn't, "Oh my god, he's my favorite uncle, and he's only in his late 40s, way too young to die, what else did my mom say?" It was kind of a shrugging, "Guess there's not much I can do about it up here."

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2006, 01:33:27 am »

" In both, Jack is wearing uncharacteristically dark clothes (going from memory, I think his shirt is blue in the Aguirre scene, but it's a darker, grayer blue than usual, and in post-divorce it's black and gray, colors that elsewhere in the movie seem associated with death or murder). I

Jack is wearing the solid dark grey shirt he is seen in several of the Brokeback scenes. His only other one is 'the' blue denimn.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.