Author Topic: Getting the cat to the vet  (Read 10160 times)

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Getting the cat to the vet
« on: September 18, 2009, 08:27:19 am »
A while back  there was an exchange of ideas about how folks fool their cat into going peaceably to the vet. I can't seem to locate that thread right now ...

Well, I'm not a cat person, but I've been adopted by a stray cat who had taken residency in my garage. Bryan started feeding him (some 2 months ago?) and expected me to continue the practice - which I did. Tache (meaning spot and short for moustache, en français) is an outdoors cat. I'm not letting him in the house. But I feed him 3 times a day and he generally follows me around whenever I'm outside - same for Bryan when he's around.

Here's the point of this post (and thread): I think I've come up with a wonderful idea to fool Tache into caging himself. A couple of days ago I borrowed a cat cage from a neighbour. Yesterday, for the first time I started placing his food bowl in the same general area as usual but inside the open cage. I started by placing the bowl closer to the edge of the cage but gradually I've been pushing the bowl a little further inside. This morning I had him eating all the way inside the cage - only his long tail still showing. The vet's visit is tomorrow. I think it will work - this first time.

Cats learn through experience, no doubt but I'm hoping that this trick will work more than once - seeing as there'll be a bit of time between the first two vet visits.

photo taken 09-07-09
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
Re: Getting the cat to the vet
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 08:50:18 am »
good luck with it.. let us know how it goes!

With my cat skimble, I just have to go with the "push him in the cage with all my might & help from Callum to catch his legs" tactic.. there is no other way to get Skimble in! He's cottoned on to the food trick! And uses his leg as an anchor to keep ot of the little cage!!!

He's fine as soon as hes out though. he does majke a pitiful meiow while in it though, especially when in the cage plus also while in the moving car and not getting all the attention!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 09:53:02 am »
Congrats on becoming adopted! :D
Tache looks cute!

I think I've come up with a wonderful idea to fool Tache into caging himself.

Another congrats! Well done. Must be the teacher in you. You know something about the process of learning, and it applies to cats as well as to kids :).

Hope the corralling will go smoothly tomorrow! For the next trip to the vet, why not trying the same method? Feeding him closer and closer to the cage, then halfways in the cage, then fully in it. Would be best if you had enough time to NOT close the door behind him, but feed him inside the cage a few times without catching him. That would give him time to lose his supiciousness towards the thingie.

Try anything to make the cage attractive when he's afraid of it after the vet tomorrow. Apply a little paté at the entrance or on the bottom inside the cage (if it's a plastic cage), so he can lick it. Place a piece of fish filet inside it. Fish smells so extreme, wonder how long he could resist the smell?

In general: if you only use the cage when another trip to the vet comes up, he'll soon enough know it. If you sometimes use the cage without a reason, just like that, and additionally make it attractive, you have better chances.

--- Ooops --- I just see that the cage belongs to your neighbour. So my ideas are moot.
Hm. Cat cages don't cost much. Maybe you're inclined to buy one?

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 09:58:21 am »
One more thing: I don't know how shy he is or how fearful in general. My cat was so afraid of the vet that she sometimes wet herself and the cage on the way. I always put a towel in the cage and took a second one in a plastic bag with me to exchange them at the vet. Just saying.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 12:30:53 pm »
Oh, Tache is beautiful and I love his name!  And good for you adopting a stray.  Hope all goes well tomorrow.  My cat was an indoor cat, which made taking her to the vet even more difficult - but Tache will probably be more amenable to new experiences!  
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 12:54:55 pm »
Tache looks adorable!  And, it's so great that you're taking care of him Roland!  Tache is a lucky cat. :)

Best of luck!
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 01:02:25 pm »
And you might want to have a bowl of food waiting for him when he returns, so that what ever conclusion he has come to in his cat brain, this is still the place where he eats.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 01:28:00 pm »
And you might want to have a bowl of food waiting for him when he returns, so that what ever conclusion he has come to in his cat brain, this is still the place where he eats.

Good idea.  Try to have positive associations with the carrier.

Vets have cheap cardboard carriers.  But they're just temporary things.  Cat cages are not cheap, but I'm sure you can find them used.  I did.

My cats I have to psyche out and then surprise them.  Since I know in advance when I'm going to the vet, I bring down their cage early in the week, let 'em freak out, then get curious, smell it and play around in it, by the end of the week, they've forgotten it.  Day of the vet trip?  I wake up (and since my cats sleep with me) and immediately grab the victim and put her in the cage.  Done.  No traumatic chasing - since they always know.

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 03:03:31 pm »
Thanks for the ideas and the generous good thoughts.

I'm going to wait until Bryan arrives. Tache generally prefers eating with someone present so with both of us there, I plan on closing the cage on him  - while he's gobbling down an extra large portion of canned food (he likes "Friskies" more than the dry "Iams") just before we leave for the vet. We're likely to travel by public transit which will involve one transfer.
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 03:24:55 pm »
Thanks for the ideas and the generous good thoughts.

I'm going to wait until Bryan arrives. Tache generally prefers eating with someone present so with both of us there, I plan on closing the cage on him  - while he's gobbling down an extra large portion of canned food (he likes "Friskies" more than the dry "Iams") just before we leave for the vet. We're likely to travel by public transit which will involve one transfer.

If you use public transit, then don't use the cardboard carriers.  Use a sturdy lockable cage.  Put a blanket, bed or one of those cat-tunnels inside them where they feel they can hide.