Author Topic: What's your favorite thing to do in fall?  (Read 42496 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: What's your favorite thing to do in fall?
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 08:07:40 pm »
New wine.......sounds fine, must try that sometimes.......but the onion pie  :-\ I think I'll skip that. Onions make me....eh.....fart.........."blush"....... :o

I love onions but if I eat too much my family "happily" remind me of the big catastrophe in Bhopal, India and compares with that before they evacuate...... :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Berit!! That is too funny! :laugh:

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 02:13:32 am »
I like the fall. The air smells different, the leaves are turning red and golden. I love that.

But above all I love the fall because of this:

FRESH WALLNUTS!!

Yummy.  :)
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline sel

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 04:27:05 am »
Hi everyone!
What I like about fall, it takes me back to my childhood, is the lovely smell of roasted chestnuts. Won't be involved in any raking of leaves as where I live many trees, mainly olive trees, don't lose their leaves.  Over the years autumns have got warmer and warmer. I do miss the colourful foliage of my autumns spent in the UK though.
After a very long, hot and dry Italian summer this year I am particularly happy to see the beginning of autumn.
Talking about wine apparently this year it will be excellent for wine, shoud be top quality!
BbM, I swear

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 10:23:12 pm »
I  miss all the russets, oranges, and other glorious colours of autumn in England, I don't miss the grey and damp drizzle. I positively am delighted not to have to cope with mountains of leaves, particularly when they turn all slushy ands slimy on the pavement/side walk.
What I love here, is Halloween, and Thanksgiving, plus the general feeling in the air that Xmas the best time of the year is around the corner. l can feel the anticipation in the air. I am not mad keen on doing 2 turkey dinners !!!!
We are starting to see Halloween decs. going up already, ooh and I love roast chestnuts and being able to stand in the sea in the fall.That never ceases to fill me with awe. A couple of beers on the beach in the evening, knowing it is cold and wet back in England.
I go so over the top with my Halloween decs. I will post pics when they are up, it is all so new to me.We have an amazing Hallowen night here.The club hires out golf carts and all the kids go round in amazing costumes.All the residents take part and there are beer stops, Margarita stops etc for the adults, it is really a sight to behold.Some of the real big houses have bands in their yards and all sorts going on. Even after 3 years my eyes are still out on stalks. Then there is a big party and dance up at the club, which is decked out as a dungeon and haunted house.Then we just walk back to the house. It is gated so it is so safe, and yes it really is an amazing night.

Offline Berit

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2009, 01:31:47 am »
I like the fall. The air smells different, the leaves are turning red and golden. I love that.

But above all I love the fall because of this:

FRESH WALLNUTS!!

Yummy.  :)
Never had fresh Walnuts....another "must do" on my list.....
Ennis.....always Ennis.....

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2009, 04:09:46 am »
lovely thread - nothing to add at the mo but just wanted to say that!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Online southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2009, 08:21:38 am »
OT, but I heard Christmas music  yesterday.  Bah humbug.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2009, 08:45:22 am »
OT, but I heard Christmas music  yesterday.  Bah humbug.

:P  Jesus H.! Ain't even Halloween yet!
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2009, 08:51:58 am »
We have an amazing Hallowen night here.The club hires out golf carts and all the kids go round in amazing costumes.All the residents take part and there are beer stops, Margarita stops etc for the adults, it is really a sight to behold.Some of the real big houses have bands in their yards and all sorts going on. Even after 3 years my eyes are still out on stalks. Then there is a big party and dance up at the club, which is decked out as a dungeon and haunted house.Then we just walk back to the house. It is gated so it is so safe, and yes it really is an amazing night.

That sounds like so much fun!  :D  I've always really enjoyed the make-believe aspect of Halloween. Since it falls on a Saturday this year, I can only imagine what our local gay bars will be like that evening. I have to be a bit careful myself because I would also hate to miss the feast of All Saints in church on the Sunday morning. My parish--and I guess Episcopalians (and maybe Anglicans?) generally--seems to make a great to-do over All Saints' Day. The music is usually something special on that Sunday.

Halloween really seems to usher in the Holiday Season these days. When it arrives, you know Thanksgiving isn't far behind, and then Christmas.  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2009, 11:37:09 am »
We are still having very warm weather here, but every day I'm noticing some new tree that didn't have color before.  One of my favorite things happened for me two falls ago, and I was able to repeat it last year, and hoping to this year.  There is a winding street in Seattle with one kind of tree planted all along it at frequent, regular intervals on both sides.  One day two years ago, I happened to drive down it on just the right windy, sunlit day when the many very small bright yellow leaves, were swirling and blowing all around over and around the street.  It was like wonderland.  One of the most beautiful sights I've ever seen.  I hope that happens for me again this year.

We are spending a lot of time outside with various friends these days, since when the weather does turn, we'll probably get a lot of rain.  So for now, each clear day seems extra precious.  We were outside yesterday from 1pm to 8pm constantly, except for a half hour break in an ice cream shop and later an hour in a restaurant.  We watched a beautiful orange sunset and tipped our hats at the equal night and day.